Sign in to follow this  
Old_As_Dirt

Remember that Beta is Beta

I have read rants here regarding Betas and didn't want to get into the fray, so I am starting this - hoping that it does not develop into a mud-slinging post.

Beta is Beta.... It is an attempt to improve a product and is posted with warnings regarding incompatibilities. I appreciate the ability to see what is being done as the process develops. Other than the Basler BT-67 development by a dedicated bunch of guys in the FSX forum, I have never really seen this in any other simulator.

That said, I have noticed one thing that is unexpected in several recent Betas and is not really worth (I think) bothering a bunch of busy guys. When turning on Landing Lights for the first time in a flight, there is always a stopping of all action until things catch up. This lasts for microseconds and is not a problem once I get my nose out of the windshield.

I am happy with the work being done and understood from the beginning that some of the third party stuff does not work as designed until they update their products.

Thanks again to a great team of developers for keeping us "in the loop".

If anyone tries to draw me into an argument - forgetaboutit.... I will not argue with you. Too old!

John

John Wingold

Hi John,

Too old here also, but enjoy the "young" technology. Now where is that Underwood typewriter so I can finish this?

Say, thanks for mentioning the landing light hesitation, not a big deal here but I guess one should consider it a bug since it does

halt the sim for 2 mico-seconds. Don't know if it's all aircraft, didn't pay that much attention. Next time it happens I will note the condtions

and submit a report.

Looking forward to the next beta, fun to watch these guys perform their magic.

Chuck

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700KF CPU @ 4.90GHz  32.0 GB RAM Windows 11 Home NVIDIA RTX 3080Ti 12GB Multi monitors

WD SN850 M2 2TB PSU 1000W. 360 AIO.cooling.

Chuck & John,

this getting "too old"thingy...... I seem to have downloaded it too, if it is a beta I would like to go back to a more "stable" release say somewhere around mid 30's where I was smart enough to have learned from some stupid mistakes and still young enough make some more :)

Merry Christmas guys!

Scot

I must have stayed too young too long because I have made a ton of mistakes. Can't say I was ever in the "stable" mode .... mostly beta (version 1,284.196.3). Maybe that's why I can understand the problems these programs encounter. It was just a few years ago that us "older" guys only had a few white lines on a black background and made our imaginations turn them into landscapes and airports - not to mention aircraft. I still have trouble believing all the stuff they have packed into these things. Love it!

Merry Christmas to you, Chuck and Scot, and to all my fellow flightsimmers!

John

John Wingold

I was really impressed with the improved performance when the 64 bit beta came out. Am spending a lot mre time with x-Plane now.

Does the 64 bit have anything to do with my Dash 8 being a little messed up (cockpit) or not being able to tune the radios in the 747? Numbers don,t change when clicking on them.

Thanks!

And Merry Chrstmas to everyone!

DickDavis229

this topic is strange to me .... the whole xplane 10 edition will be in beta until xplane 11 comes out.

Hi,

On Windows OS, the 64-bit version is the "X-Plane.exe" file inside X-plane's folder. The 32-bit is "X-Plane-32bit.exe". To assure something is a 64-bit related bug you must run the 32-bit version to see if the feature works on 32-bit. Anyway, I recommend you fill a report to Laminar when you find bugs, because Laminar really try to fix them. I've found bugs on KingAir on beta 10.20, reported to Laminar, and they fixed them.

This is the form:

http://dev.x-plane.com/support/bugreport.html

Does the 64 bit have anything to do with my Dash 8 being a little messed up (cockpit) or not being able to tune the radios in the 747? Numbers don,t change when clicking on them.

Thanks!

And Merry Chrstmas to everyone!

DickDavis229

this topic is strange to me .... the whole xplane 10 edition will be in beta until xplane 11 comes out.

Tierborn (Mr. Comeaux)

X-Plane 10 has already had a stable version released. The next one (with 64 bit) will be coming very shortly. There are several non beta's that will be released throughout the V10 run until, like X Plane 9 (which was considered final at 9.7) it will become stable...just like X-Plane 9.

Your information is incorrect. Please feel free to ask more about the development process should you have any further questions.

Have a great day and a Merry Christmas!