Sign in to follow this  
Capt. Windh

Strange Alpha-problem with trees

Hi,

at some addon airports I get this strange Alpha-effect with 2D-trees. I have tried other tree-.bmps but it doesn´t seem to fix it.

Just wondering if anyone else is having this?

Here´s an example from KTPA (Reebooted) by FlyTampa:

You can actually see some of the parked cars in parking house, through the building (the left palm tree), when the trees are in between.. Strange one..

Kind regards and a Happy New Year,

Windh

Are the default trees showing the same 'halo' effect? If the "some add on airports" are by the same scenery designer(s), then I would suggest that there may be a conflict between their textures and your graphics settings. Since you have tried other trees without any luck please take a look at a default airport, say KEYW and see if you have the same there. If the palms at the default airports look normal then the trees you are having problems with are scenery specific and those tree texture may be located in the respective texture folder(s) of those scenery, also unless they are named in a obvious manner they may be difficult to locate except with DXTBMP or ImageTool. At any rate the usual cause of the halo you see would be that the alpha image of the tree does not fit closely enough the outline of the visible texture. One last thought, if those are default trees, there are much much better available (freeware) and if they are not check your scenery folders and see what you find, if you lucky there, and theirs are based on default texture sheet layout you should be able to replace them, if not, creating a new alpha will be the only way to fix them.

Regards,

Mel

Are the default trees showing the same 'halo' effect? If the "some add on airports" are by the same scenery designer(s), then I would suggest that there may be a conflict between their textures and your graphics settings. Since you have tried other trees without any luck please take a look at a default airport, say KEYW and see if you have the same there. If the palms at the default airports look normal then the trees you are having problems with are scenery specific and those tree texture may be located in the respective texture folder(s) of those scenery, also unless they are named in a obvious manner they may be difficult to locate except with DXTBMP or ImageTool. At any rate the usual cause of the halo you see would be that the alpha image of the tree does not fit closely enough the outline of the visible texture. One last thought, if those are default trees, there are much much better available (freeware) and if they are not check your scenery folders and see what you find, if you lucky there, and theirs are based on default texture sheet layout you should be able to replace them, if not, creating a new alpha will be the only way to fix them.

Regards,

Mel

Thanks for your insight, Mel. I´ll have a look into it. I currently use some good FPS-friendly trees I found here at Avsim.

I currently use some good FPS-friendly trees...

Does the addon use those trees or does it have it's own?

Have you modified the tree textures by adding mips and/or changing formats?

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

I see this too, although only on trees that are 'planted' by addon scenery, and only in certain light conditions... Also momentarily when 'new' autogen trees are loading I see it on 'default' trees.

I have tried a lot of messing about with alpha channels and re-building the mip images etc but while I have got it looking better it doesn't fix it! I just live with it and don't look too close!

Geoff

I think that trees in FS2004 should be in DXT1 format. DXT3 format will cause those edge issues.

Graeme Butler

I think that trees in FS2004 should be in DXT1 format. DXT3 format will cause those edge issues.

That's worth a try! I just successfully removed the problems I've been seeing by converting the tree textures to DXT1 with alpha... I'm sure I tried that before but obviously didn't check carefully enough! Still got the main trees as DXT3 and see no issues with them...

Geoff