Sign in to follow this  
RFD810

Qantas options/data

I was told by this person at work too that he asked a Virgin Australia Captain after landing recently, they fly cost index 1.

It seems strange though that Qantas would be on 40 while Virgin down at 1. i know Virgin started off as low cost but Qantas would be trying to keep fuel bills down as much as possible. I would think they would all be similar.

1... Haha

What are doing shutting their engines off and parachuting down to the airport.

A person I know through work has a close friend that is a pilot at Qantas on 'heavies'. He said he believed the cost index was 40 on the 738.

The last few Qantas B738 flights I have been on have used a CI of 12

Pretty accurate list. To clear up a few things:

The MCP can be both types (mostly Rockwell Collins however)

Oil qty is quarts, not percentage

Single battery as the list states. casa/caa nz etops requirements differ to eu/us.

The qf cost indices quoted above are all largely incorrect.

To replicate default thrust cutback etc in the ngx use 1000 as thrust reduction and 3000 as accel on page 2 of the takeoff page.

Lnav only, armed for takeoff. Call vnav > 3000

Use alternate noise abatement procedure on the charts for most Aussie ports.

Mike McKenna.

Pretty accurate list. To clear up a few things:

Single battery as the list states. casa/caa nz etops requirements differ to eu/us.

To replicate default thrust cutback etc in the ngx use 1000 as thrust reduction and 3000 as accel on page 2 of the takeoff page.

Lnav only, armed for takeoff. Call vnav > 3000

Use alternate noise abatement procedure on the charts for most Aussie ports.

Mike McKenna.

Thanks Mike, can you shed some light on correct Cost Indices? Are you talking the 738 CI is incorrect or the 744 as well?

I had originally set up my Oil to be in Quarts based on a cockpit photo I saw.

The Honeywell MCP is present on most of the earlier VX- models. The VY- VZ- and XZ- models are all fitted with the Collins MCP

How do you know this? Is it that the earlier models use percentage and the later models use quarts? And why would Qantas themselves say otherwise?

Upon disembarking the Qantas aircraft I was on just last week (QF663 BNE-ADL) I asked the FO what cost index they use. He replied "Cost Index 12"

Hey Brett. 738/734 plans can carry a ci of 40, but it isn't the norm. Same for the 744. The plan may have 100, but usually doesn't. I won't disclose the indices. Don't worry too much about them anyway. Just meet the schedule.

Richard.

Re the mcp - agreed, but the newer ones can be fitted with the Honeywell mcp as well

Re oil qty ind - I know because I'm paid to know and check it

Re the indices - word of mouth fails when the company manuals and plans state otherwise. The actual index isn't far from 12 anyway, so just continue using it

I can't validate what I say without quoting our manuals so you can either accept or dismiss what I say at your leisure. Enjoy.

Mike.

Re the mcp - agreed, but the newer ones can be fitted with the Honeywell mcp as well

Does this mean they can be if need be or that some are?

Re oil qty ind - I know because I'm paid to know and check it

Looks like i've trusted the above list too much, a quick airliners.net search of flight deck photos all seem to show quarts. Is this the same thorughout the whole fleet or do the earlier models use percent?

Thanks in advance for clearing this up.

Yes, and less than a few (1 or 2) at any given time.

Quarts on the entire 738 fleet.

Mike.

THR ALT/ACC all depends on wether the airport is NADP1 or NADP2... IIRC, most are 2 except for 34L/R at SYD... Interesting that QF still don't arm VNAV on departure. I remember we didn't used to due to a bulletin released by Boeing with reported issues, however the latest FMC software fixed it.. If you don't use VNAV, flight level change up to flaps up speed, then VNAV. When we were clean, VNAV would go on.. Not an altitude related thing.

G'day James.

Nadp 1/2 can be used, absolutely. usually icao b is used (listed as "an alternative" in current charts for yssy and some other ports) for deps, and is reflected in the fms setup and some training stuff. I can't find anything which omits any one of the 3 proc (nadp 1/2 or "alternative") from being used off 34l/34r. Not saying youre wrong, but perhaps a sop for another airline? Are you able to find out?

As for lnav only - it is as it is. I've not seen lvl ch engaged during the segments for the proc. it's flown as shown, generally only the speed (to comply with the proc) and altitude (comply with atc) are changed/used until at or > 3000.

Michael McKenna.

Yes, and less than a few (1 or 2) at any given time.

So you're saying that you can just swap between MCPs?? Firstly, Why would you replace a brand new'ish Collins MCP with an older style Honeywell? And behind all of the pretty lights and dials wouldn't there be some hardcoded firmware and features that wouldn't be interchangeable between the two models?

Richard.

Of course there are differences between the mcp's, but they remain interchangeable (am able to reference this, but not in the public domain). A reason why you'd put one where you'd normally see the other would be parts availability at a certain port or some other reason.

An airline couldn't care less about how pretty the mcp looks, so long as it (the mcp, and inherently, the ship) remains airworthy for continued operations.

I would suggest becoming involved in RPT operations if you're not already, preferably at the op level (pilot, flight att, engineer), to further your knowledge on all this stuff. It is highly complex, exacerbated by the fact that the ng is a nightmare as far as config goes I.e cdu/fmc page diffs, weights, pulselite, powerplant, ife, bsi and so many more that you, nor I, would ever see but know about.

Again, feel free to accept or dismiss at your leisure.

I've now reached the limit of what I care to share. This ends my participation in this topic and avsim for the foreseeable. Thanks pmdg, and to other avsim participants for furthering my knowledge.

Mike McKenna.

One more thing before I sign off. Flaps 25 out of qn and obviously F40 in. F5 is the standard for t/o (do your research to find out why f5 is better than f1 for t/o).

Enjoy!