Sign in to follow this  

Hello all,

I have recently tried to run Xpax (sp1 with hotfix) via a network but to no avail. Xpax gives an error when it start on the client but if I click on "Connect to FS" it can connect successfully, and I can see the green row with text on the Server PC running FSX. However, the problem is that it cannot access my aircrafts from Server, and does not have dynamic weight change on the aircraft when boarding passengers.

I have REX E+OD running on the same Client via simconnect, and FS Commander 9.2 running via Fsuipc/WideFS. All other fsx network add-ons are working perfectly other then Xpax.

The error I get when Xpax starts, as well as when I click on the aircraft menu is given below:

===================================================

See the end of this message for details on invoking

just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at XPax.Aircraft_Control.cbo_change_cabin_type_SelectedIndexChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.onselectedIndexChanged(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.set_SelectedIndex(Int32 value)

at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.set_Text(String value)

at XPax.Aircraft_Control.InitializeComponent()

at XPax.Aircraft_Control..ctor()

at XPax.XPaxEngine.LoadAircraftControl()

at XPax.XPaxEngine..ctor(Single dpi)

at XPax_Engine.frmMain.frmMain_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.onload(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativewindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativewindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Nativewindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************

mscorlib

Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5466 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll

----------------------------------------

XPax_Engine

Assembly Version: 1.0.0.19

Win32 Version: 1.0.0.19

CodeBase: file:///D:/FSX%20Addons/XPax/XPax_Engine.exe

Microsoft.VisualBasic

Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll

System

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5467 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

System.Windows.Forms

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll

System.Drawing

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

System.Runtime.Remoting

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll

XPax

Assembly Version: 1.0.0.346

Win32 Version: 1.0.0.346

CodeBase: file:///D:/FSX%20Addons/XPax/XPax.DLL

Interop.Scripting

Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0

CodeBase: file:///D:/FSX%20Addons/XPax/Interop.Scripting.DLL

HiFiSimControls

Assembly Version: 1.1.0.1

Win32 Version: 1.1.0.1

CodeBase: file:///D:/FSX%20Addons/XPax/HiFiSimControls.DLL

AxInterop.WMPLib

CodeBase: file:///D:/FSX%20Addons/XPax/AxInterop.WMPLib.DLL

Interop.WMPLib

CodeBase: file:///D:/FSX%20Addons/XPax/Interop.WMPLib.DLL

HiFiUtil

Assembly Version: 1.0.0.14

Win32 Version: 1.0.0.14

CodeBase: file:///D:/FSX%20Addons/XPax/HiFiUtil.DLL

HiFiLic

Assembly Version: 1.0.0.12

Win32 Version: 1.0.0.12

CodeBase: file:///D:/FSX%20Addons/XPax/HiFiLic.DLL

System.DirectoryServices

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.DirectoryServices/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.DirectoryServices.dll

HiFiSimInterface

Assembly Version: 1.0.0.14

Win32 Version: 1.0.0.14

CodeBase: file:///D:/FSX%20Addons/XPax/HiFiSimInterface.DLL

HiFiAircraft

Assembly Version: 1.0.0.21

Win32 Version: 1.0.0.21

CodeBase: file:///D:/FSX%20Addons/XPax/HiFiAircraft.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************

To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this

application or computer (machine.config) must have the

jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.

The application must also be compiled with debugging

enabled.

For example:

<configuration>

<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />

</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception

will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer

rather than be handled by this dialog box.

I just went through a session such as yours and it looks like you do not have the right version installed. The latest build is 350. You have 346 as you xpax.dll version shows 1.0.0.346. It should be 1.0.0.350. So just download and install the latest update. Do not install the hotfix as that was released after the product was first released and it was a fix until the update could be published. Might be better to uninstall and reinstall.

This may resolve your issue but the exception error you received indicates a problem with dotnet and xpax uses dotnet 2.0 (i.e., it was a wrong code issued by the developers of xpax). It may be the reason they had to do the update (don't know, not a developer). It appears you have the right version number for mscorlib.dll but I cannot be sure. If reinstalling xpax does not work, then I suggest you go on the Internet and download dotnet 2.0 and reinstall it. Here's a link to a dotnet setup verifier that looks at your installation and makes sure it is up-to-date - http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx. That site also has a link to the Microsoft dotnet repair tool which I found was a great tool (but it didn't fix my problem). You also need to have dotnet 3.5 installed as well as 4.5. Windows 7 automatically installs 4.0. I saw things working the best for me after I installed 4.5 (and all updates) then I went back and downloaded and installed 3.5 and 1.1 and xpax is working great. My issue was a bit different from yours though in that my simconnect was not properly set up for xpax.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks a lot for the reply Jim. However, the problem still persists. I have followed your instructions. First I got the dotnet verification tool and checked all the version. All the version of dotnet were successfully verified. I am running dotnet 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2, 3.5 SP1, 4(client/full), and 4.5. I have also installed the new update SP fro XPAX build 350, and now that is also updated.

I am still getting the same error as before. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

You should also download and install dotnet 1.1. XPAX is a very old program and it might be looking for this version. Also, did you run Windows Update after you installed the dotnets? The exception code you are receiving is a programming error so that's why I think the program is looking for a certain version. This is also why I thought for sure installing the correct build (350) would be the solution. Dotnet framework packages are not backwards compatible so you need all the versions. If this doesn't resolve your problem then I suggest you go to the HiFi.com website support page, register, and make up a trouble ticket (or whatever they are called). The staff over there are very responsive to problems sent in my this method. Make sure you send in a copy of the most recent error message. I have a feeling though that installing dotnet 1.1 will solve this problem. Fingers crossed....

Best regards,

Jim

Just to add - In your XPAX folder there is a documentation folder. Click on the networkedconfig. It tells you how to set up simconnect.xml. They said to put the simconnect.xml into the same folder as the fsx.cfg. They have a same simconnect.xml in the XPAX folder. I copied this xml file and pasted it into the same folder where my FSX.cfg is located. I did not edit the file. For some strange reason it fixed my problems with simconnect for XPAX (strange but true). Your error message does not indicate a problem with simconnect though but, just in case, I thought I would mention it.

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim,

Thanks again for your response. Just a question though, I cannot install dotnet 1.1 on Win 7 x64. It is not compatible with the version of the OS. I tried running the installed from MSDT site and it failed. Are you on a x64 version of Win 7? If so, could you please direct me on how to install dotnet 1.1?

Thanks a lot

Nevermind Jim, figured out how to install dotnet 1.1 Sp1. Will try and reinstall Xpax one more time and give it a shot. I'll try back soon on the progress.

Nevermind Jim, figured out how to install dotnet 1.1 Sp1. Will try and reinstall Xpax one more time and give it a shot. I'll try back soon on the progress.

I have both versions installed. FSX is a 32 bit app so you would need the 32 bit version installed. Any 64 bit dotnet will not work with FSX or it's addons. One of the members here had a 64 bit system and saw all of the 32 bit versions of Microsoft Visuals C++ Redistributable so got rid of them all to 'clean' his system and just have the 64 bit versions installed. I told him that was not good and he came back and told me FSX would not start so he reinstalled all of the 32 bit MSV's. Unfortunately, dotnet and MSV's are not backward compatible and many programs look for a certain version. If it doesn't find it, the app may crash. Good luck with your reinstall of XPAX.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Hello again Jim,

So, I installed all the versions of dotnet and verified all of them using the tool you gave the link to. Then reinstalled Xpax and updated to Build 350. Still the same error. So, what happens now? I am sure this isn't a simconnect issue however attached below is my simconnect.xml from the Server PC, and the error message is the same as the one I attached above.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252" ?>

<SimBase.Document Type="SimConnect" version="1,0">

<Descr>SimConnect Server Configuration</Descr>

<Filename>SimConnect.xml</Filename>

<Disabled>False</Disabled>

<SimConnect.Comm>

<Protocol>IPv4</Protocol>

<Scope>global</Scope>

<Address>10.0.0.10</Address>

<Port>6600</Port>

<MaxClients>10</MaxClients>

<MaxRecvSize>8192</MaxRecvSize>

<DisableNagle>True</DisableNagle>

</SimConnect.Comm>

<SimConnect.Comm>

<Protocol>IPv4</Protocol>

<Scope>global</Scope>

<Address>10.0.0.10</Address>

<Port>500</Port>

<MaxClients>64</MaxClients>

<MaxRecvSize>4096</MaxRecvSize>

<DisableNagle>False</DisableNagle>

</SimConnect.Comm>

<SimConnect.Comm>

<Protocol>Auto</Protocol>

<Scope>local</Scope>

</SimConnect.Comm>

</SimBase.Document>

Still the same error. So, what happens now? I am sure this isn't a simconnect issue

So, you are still getting the System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object error. That is strange as, if you Google that error, it indicates a C++ programming error. This leads me to suspect you do not have the proper Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable installed or the MSV is corrupted. XPAX should be looking for the MSV C++ Redistributable 2005 w/SP1 along with a security update to that package. If it does not find the right MSV, the addon will not work. I found that v8.0.50727.6195 is the one that works best with FSX and FSX addons - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2538242. Do a search on your computer for MSVCR80.dll and look for the 8.0.50727.6195 version. It should be in your Windows\winsxs folder. You can only get from Windows Update after the MSV 2005 SP1 is installed.

Your xml config looks okay to me. I doubt that is the problem though. When you start up FSX and then XPAX, look down at the bottom of the app and see if it is showing connected to FS or FS Connected.

One more suggestion - have you run AppCrashView - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/app_crash_view.html and looked to see if there are any CTD's reported there. If so, paste the error report here.

I have no more suggestions. If the MSV fix does not work, then I suggest submitting a trouble ticket at HiFi.com.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Hello Jim,

I've searched the winsxs for the dll file that you mentioned and found 2 copies of the same file and version (8.0.50727.6195). However, they are in different directories. One file of that version is under windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft.vc80 and the other one is under windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft.vc80

There are also a lot more versions of that dll file in winsxs folder. I've attached a screenshot of all the C++ Runtime that is installed in my client from the Programs page under control panel. Please have a look and let me know if you see anything is missing. I see the 2005 redistributable installed but it does not mentions about SP1. Do I have SP1 in there or should I get it some somewhere. Please take a look at the image I've attached here.

Yes, that's a major problem with Microsoft when they installed these Redistributables. No SP1 shown or exactly what versions were installed. But you do have the right versions of 2005 SP1 installed. Your programs directory shows exactly what is in mine. Evidently, Microsoft issued the security update and that's located in the update section. The X86 version is the one you want installed since FSX is a 32 bit application. So that appears not to be your issue. I am totally at a loss as to how to fix your problem. You could try uninstalling, running a registry cleaner then reinstalling it again. You can try right clicking the folder too and clicking on Properties and make sure the folder is shared. Then click on the Security tab and click on your User name and make sure you have full control. I'm afraid you are going to have to check with HiFi.com and see if they can find a fix. I did run that error message along with the word XPAX in Google and saw that only one other individual had this problem with XPAX back in 2008 and there was no solution to fix it.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

One more thing about installing/reinstalling.... There's a XPAX folder in your User/AppData/Roaming/HiFi/Xpax (and one named Airplanes too), so, if you uninstall, make sure this folder has been deleted or else the same problem will occur no matter how many times you install the program.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Thank you for telling me about the AppData folder. I will delete all that and see what happens. So far, I think i have all the dotnet packages and the C++ runtime stuff sorted. Also simconnect is working properly. This is my last ditch effort to make this work on a network setup. Otherwise, I'll just go back to installing XPax on the Server and run it in windowed mode as before. Also, another member here at AVSIM sees to have helped out others with XPax and other HiFi simulation addons, his username is: JSkorna. Maybe you get get him on this thread to see if he had any thoughts. I'm not sure how to add other users in a thread.

Thanks,

JSkorna. Maybe you get get him on this thread to see if he had any thoughts. I'm not sure how to add other users in a thread.

Yes, Jim use to run the Official ActiveSky Forum with other developers from HiFi here on AVSIM (now the Unofficial ActiveSky Forum) and answered all questions relating to Active Sky and XPAX. Not sure what his association with HiFi is anymore. He still visits these forums occasionally. If you do a Google of that error your received (System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object) plus add XPAX, you will see he responded to a question about this same error but did not provide any definitive solution. I'm hoping that cleaning that folder in the AppData after uninstalling XPAX will fix things as that folder contained your personal settings and that's why the error kept popping up even though you upgraded to the latest.

If you want, you can PM Jim but I think you would be best served to go to the HiFi website and submit a trouble ticket.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

To the OP:

What path is your FSX installed to?

Is your FSX folder shared across your network?