Sign in to follow this  

Hello all,

First of all, I'd like to thank you both for taking the time out to solve this issue for me. Unfortunately, the problem still remains. I am still getting the System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object error.

According to the previous instructions, I've completely uninstalled XPax and then deleted the XPax folder under HiFi in my Appdata folder. Then ran CCleaner to delete all the temp. files and deleted a few registry entries made by XPax. Then re-installed XPax, and applied the build 350 SP1 update patch. Still no joy! Getting the same error, I know I have all the dotnet packages corrected installed and working (as verified by the verification tool Jim posted earlier), and all my C++ runtime is correctly installed. I dont have any other ideas! Strange thing is, I'm running ASE from Hifi as well and its working perfectly, no issues at all and all the weather generates real nicely.

To answer Jim (JSkorna)'s question, here are the directories for both the Client and Server:

On the Server:

FSX is installed under its usual directory, "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X" And yes, The FSX folder is shared and has read/write access via the network. Also, a few other folders are shared as well, like: FSX Files under My Documents, FSX files in Appdata "C:\Users\Mushfiqur Rahman\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX". Furthermore, the C Drive for the Server is also shared across the Network.

All the above mentioned are shared as network drives, and shows up in the Client PC under "computer". I've attached an image of what the Client "Computer" screen looks like. As you can see from the image,

W: is the C Drive for the Server,

X: is the FSX Root Folder on the Server (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X)

Y: is FSX Files under Documents on the Server (C:\Users\Mushfiqur Rahman\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX)

Z: is FSX Appdata folder on the Server (C:\Users\Mushfiqur Rahman\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX)

The other shared links are to my Network Storage and a folder on the FSX Server for easy of transfer for files b/w PCs.

On the Client:

All my FSX addons are installed in D Drive, under the directory "D:\FSX Addons"

Most of the addons run via WideFS and Fsuipc setup like Radar Contact, FS Commander, AI Smooth & Separation.

REX(E)+OD & ASE runs via simconnect. I use REX textures and ASE for weather injection. My simconnect.xml is already posted above if you want to take a look (if you didn't already)!

Finally, I had a question for you (both), is there any registry items that I had to delete using Regedit manually after uninstalling XPax? Because I didn't do it. I ran CCleaner and it said all the registry entries were okay, and deleted the ones that were missing (using missing dlls).

So, what is the next step guys? Should I get on Hifi's forum and let them take a whack at is, since we seem to have exhausted all our ideas.

What happens if you install XPax on the server computer and run it from there?

Hi Jim,

Thank you for your contributions here. I have been trying to get Simconnect working to run XPAX for years now but without success. Anyway, over the past few days I have spent sometime working on Simconnect and finally seem to have made some progress. I have it installed and when i tested with the Ai exe in the SDK folder it said I was connected. however, when I run XPAX it says make sure FSX is running. It is running?

I forgot to mention. Although when I did the test it says "connected" people say you should see a green bar scrolling across the top of FSX indicating this. I didn't see such a bar?

Hope you can help

Paul

Hi Paul,

When you run the AI Traffic utility, does it tell you that numbers of AI planes are being loaded? You are running this from the client computer, correct?

No, nothing shows up in FSX.

Do you have all the simconnect versions installed? Getting simconnect installed properly is a bugger, there's like 3 versions of it and things need to be installed in a certain order. 

HI ,

Jim, it just says connected 2 , that's all. If I have the verbose set to 1 I see a lot of scribble but apart from that nothing else happens. I am starting again.

'Simconnect Versions' (plural)? Oh gee this gets worse and worse and 'order' What order? This is a bloody nightmare to set-up.

Paul

HI Jim,

I am not sure if I am doing this correctly at all. I installed the SDK from the Acceleration Disc but when I try to install SDK spa1 it tells me I need to insert the original FSX disc. I can't do this as it is damaged and my back up copy doesn't read the directory structure on the disk.

Paul

Hi,

You need SDK1 from FSX disk 1.

You need SDK1A from Acceleration.

You need SDK2 from Microsoft.

Not sure if you can get SDK1 as a stand alone download from MS.

After awhile it is easier just to install everything on the FSX computer and forget about networking. 

Hi Jim,

Firstly, thank you again for taking the time to assist me. it is people like you who help restore faith in human nature with your generosity.

I am still puzzled. I have got all thre of the files you mention above ready to install but I am worried because of this message regarding the SP2 update:

'This update includes the changes to the FSX Software Development Kit required for those developers who have installed FSX Service Pack 2.

IMPORTANT: If you have already installed Flight Simulator X: Accelerationexpansion pack, do not install the SDK Update for Service Pack 2.'

The reason I say worried is because I have already installed Accceleration and I did install the SDK that came with it.  However, I have since uninstalled the SDK from my system in preparation to install the three files you mention above. Is is safe to install them given that I have uninstalled my previous version of the Acceleration version of SDK?

Also, Do I install them in the order that you mention?

Thanks again for your help.

Paul

Hi,

Wait! The SDKs get installed on the client and not the FSX computer. The FSX computer already has SimConnect installed. Now the client needs SimConnect installed by using the SDKs.

Yes, install and run each simconnect.msi in the order I gave you, one at a time.

Hi Jim,

Whoops! I went and uninstalled SDK from the FSX PC. Got what you said but what do I need to do now on the FSX PC - Re install SDK there if so which one ?

Thanks again for your help. What I meant to say was have I uninstalled the Simconnect from the FSX PC by removing the SDK from it?

Paul