Sign in to follow this  
welshflyer

X-Plane installation problem

I've installed x-Plane 10.05 on my iMac, but only as a SECOND COPY since, apparently, the installer still thinks I've got the demo installed, even though I deleted it before starting the installation. I've used the full program a few times now but sometimes - not always! - when I start the program (I'm using the latest beta 64 bit version) the program appears to start the demo version (water at airport locations and joystick time-out warning). I'm sure there a simple answer to this, I just don't know what it is!

Thanks FlashIsisMayia, your solution worked! The only thing that baffles me is that XP 10 did work fine for a while, without DVD1 loaded. Do I need to have the DVD in the tray every time I run the program, or is this a one-time solution?

It doesn't check every time. Sometimes, I'll have another CD in my drive and can run XP just fine. Then if I have to restart after, e.g., installing new scenery, it'll throw up the nag screen.

"No matter how eloquent you are or how solidly and firm you've built your case, you will never win in an argument with an idiot, for he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous.

If it finds the DVD it doesn't check again until 24 hours later so you can put your DVD away again until the next day. Or, as I suspect most do is to just have an ISO image of the DVD on your HD.

Regards

When I insert DVD1, to add scenery for example, I'm STILL being told that:

"You have more than one copy of X-Plane installed on this computer. Please pick which copy of X-Plane you would like to add scenery to.

. /Users/myname/Desktop/

. /Users/myname/Desktop/X-Plane10

This is driving me crazy! What is "/Users/myname/Desktop/" referring to?? I only have ONE folder on the desktop, named "X-Plane 10"

Sounds like you might have a rogue registry entry. If you're comfortable editing your registry, you might do a search for X-Plane references with the non-existent path and remove it. Alternatively, and more time consuming, you could go into control panel and uninstall X-Plane, reboot, and go into control panel to see if it still shows X-Plane as an installed program. Click it and uninstall again. It might tell you that it can't find it and would you like to remove it from the program list. Click Yes or Ok (depending on what the affirmative response is), let it do it's thing, then reboot and reinstall X-Plane.

"No matter how eloquent you are or how solidly and firm you've built your case, you will never win in an argument with an idiot, for he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous.

Sounds like you might have a rogue registry entry. If you're comfortable editing your registry, you might do a search for X-Plane references with the non-existent path and remove it. Alternatively, and more time consuming, you could go into control panel and uninstall X-Plane, reboot, and go into control panel to see if it still shows X-Plane as an installed program. Click it and uninstall again. It might tell you that it can't find it and would you like to remove it from the program list. Click Yes or Ok (depending on what the affirmative response is), let it do it's thing, then reboot and reinstall X-Plane.

I'm using an iMac

In an effort to get to the bottom of this problem I've deleted my newly installed X-Plane 10 completely, and all other traces of the program that I can find. I then tried again from scratch (DVD1) but the installer STILL thinks X-Plane 10 is already installed on my desktop (but not in a sub-folder)

Don't use DVD1 to install it. Use the Installer that is available from the x-plane website.

Don't use DVD1 to install it. Use the Installer that is available from the x-plane website.

GoranM, doing as you suggest makes no difference.

I did an experiment and, using the UPDATE facility in the installer, tried to update the 'phantom' copy of X-Plane. The downloaded sub-folders and files went directly onto the desktop, not into an X-Plane 10 folder, if I make myself clear.

Ok, try this. (Sorry if it sounds extreme, but it may be the only way to be sure)

Delete every single trace of X-Plane from your computer. Don't worry about registry entries because X-Plane doesn't write to the registry.

Use the installer to begin installation.

Select a different folder to install to. One that you haven't selected yet.

Install as per normal.

When the installation is complete, navigate to the folder you installed to and cut and paste the X Plane folder to the location of your choice. Avoid putting it into the Program Files folder.

The best place is your desktop.

After it is all installed, run the updater and, assuming you put the X Plane folder on your desktop, select the desktop location in the updater.

Post back if you have any problems.

Good luck!

:good:

Hi Goran and thanks for your continued help..

Perhaps I should clarify that I am able install X -Plane, as a second copy. My problem is the 'phantom' copy which the installer thinks is on the desktop. I want to get rid of this. As I say, I have deleted X-Plane completely but when I run the installer (whether from DVD 1 or downloaded) the installer tells me that I have X-Plane already installed. It thinks that the Desktop itself is the X-Plane 10 folder, even though there is no content, if you understand my meaning. I'm using a Mac, so no registry as such, but I'm starting to thing the problem is at a deeper level.

Might need to take it a little higher.

email: info@X-Plane.com

and outline what's going on.

Use as much detail as possible. Even provide screenshots.

Again, Good Luck!

Might need to take it a little higher.

email: info@X-Plane.com

and outline what's going on.

Use as much detail as possible. Even provide screenshots.

Again, Good Luck!

Thanks Goran, the problem is solved!

There was a small file in the library of my Mac under preferences (nearest equivalent to Windows registry I guess) which 'remembered' the location of previously installed copies of X-Plane, even though the copy itself had been deleted. I deleted this file and now all is well.

Many thanks to you and to everyone else who took the time to help me.

Mike