Sign in to follow this  
anthony_d

The waiting game....

I've been silently waiting for for x-plane 64bit to go final for a while. Actually I'm not hoping for some new feature or fix to come along in 10.20 - they've said that feature set was always going to be a tight release... and actually I find that 32bit 10.20 works fine without crashes.

The things I'm looking forward to are:

- All my addon aircraft to be updated. While they all work 95% OK in 10.20 32bit, I often find my attention drawn towards the 5% - the little things that aren't quite right (a running avionics fan on a dead bus being one particular irritation with some planes). I'm hoping that 10.2x final will lead to a flurry of updates. It sounds like a lot of updates are on "hold short for take-off" right now.

- New features in the 10.30 beta (in particular can they PLEASE sort out the 25mile rendering limitation - it's doing my head in ..... arrrrghhh!). :t0103:

-------------------------

But in the meantime while I wait, I've been discovering:

- Chile. The andes are very well rendered in X-Plane. This is to the point where I might blame x-plane for any future holiday I book there.

- Maderia. Not just the excellent LPMA, but the entire ortho/objects package. Looks another very good place for some hiking too.

- What to do in a 777 when there's a fuel leak mid atlantic (check difference between calculated fuel on board (FOB) vs totalised FOB - on page 2 of the progress page on the FMC). If it's small then continue... if it's too big then it's time to divert.

- Add-on Airports to consider as an onward destination from Maderia.

Very good post! Thx!

Madeira is nice, although appart from the airport operations, I really don't like it at all and rather prefer the Azores islands.... Don't tell Alberto João Jardim, the guy who drives Madeira's local government ;-)

The 777 should be a delight, I know, but I am holding for 10.30 (which I stronly hope to be a stone marker in the live of this version of XP...)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I see many people are excited with what can happen to X-Plane in version 10.30. Is there a list of things that are planned to be added, or is it all speculation? I wanna know if I can get my X-Plane 10 installation ready again, or I should wait more time until some addons I'm waiting for gets released!

Thanks

Alexis Mefano

I see many people are excited with what can happen to X-Plane in version 10.30. Is there a list of things that are planned to be added, or is it all speculation?

Speculation - I don't think very much, if anything, has been released as to what .30 may bring.

Pure speculation! A feeling... A hope (?), but mostly the fact that:

1) The potential is there waiting for the team, and specially Austin in what concerns more to core updates, to show even more of what X-Plane10 can really be.

2) The growing interest of simmers from other platforms in X-Plane10.

Together, and given that 10.20 is the cross-version between the 32 and 64 bit platforms, giving time for 3pds to adapt to the new code requirements, makes me believe that 10.30 will most probably be the most important version of X-Plane10, and from there on it will only get even better.

I'm very critic, ad-nauseam some times.... but X-Plane10 conquered my interest and respect long ago, although I sometimes get angry at it :-)

Also, given that I am now on 16GB RAM, I expect even better performance ;-), allowing me to push the sliders more to the right....

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

What is the advantage of 64 bit in X-Plane? I imagine the memory management is much better? I had no idea that was in the works, very cool!

What is the advantage of 64 bit in X-Plane? I imagine the memory management is much better? I had no idea that was in the works, very cool!

In a nutshell, memory. There's no performance difference between 32- and 64-bit versions, however the 64-bit platform can take advantage of more memory, if it's available in the system. This is quite important as scenery becomes more detailed... detail takes not only processing power, but memory... and with 64-bit platforms and enough memory, many more doors are opened for possibilities.

Makes sense. I switched over to 64 bit CAD software at work a few years ago and never looked back. I lot of people don't realize that a 32 bit program can only actually use 3.1 GB of RAM.