Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Running FSX with Process Explorer

Could someone please give me an idea how to use Process Explorer to measure VAS in FSX?

Virtual Memory Map (MMAP) from Sysinternals will tell you everything about virtual memory.

Could someone please give me an idea how to use Process Explorer to measure VAS in FSX?

The first thing you'll need to do is to make sure the relevant column is being displayed. Fire up PE and go to View-->Select Columns. In the dialog box that pops up, select the Process Memory tab and make sure that Virtual Size is ticked. You will now have a column which displays VAS for every process.

To see more details, select the process you want to view (fsx.exe), right click on it, and another box will pop up with a variety of options available for monitoring all kinds of things, including graphics memory useage.

Hope that helps,

Scott

Can you monitor the VAS with PE simultaneously while FSX is running in full screen mode?

John Pipilas

Win 10 ​- i7 2600k CPU - AMD Radeon R9 Fury X GPU 

Can you monitor the VAS with PE simultaneously while FSX is running in full screen mode?

I wouln't think so. But you could monitor FS free memory using the FSUIPC offset I mentioned earlier, and FSUIPC's in-FS-display monitoring facility.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

I wouln't think so. But you could monitor FS free memory using the FSUIPC offset I mentioned earlier, and FSUIPC's in-FS-display monitoring facility.

Pete

Pete

I have the unregistered version of your FSUIPC. What is the FSUIPC offset and how do I activate the in-FS-display? Sorry but I can't find where you mentioned it earlier?

Thanks

John Pipilas

Win 10 ​- i7 2600k CPU - AMD Radeon R9 Fury X GPU 

I have the unregistered version of your FSUIPC. What is the FSUIPC offset and how do I activate the in-FS-display? Sorry but I can't find where you mentioned it earlier?

The memory checker is active regardless of registration, and the Logging facilities are always available.

In the Logging tab, right-hand side, enter 024C in one of the offset boxes and set the Type to U32. Don't check 'Hex' as you want it in decimal. Then check "FS window" below. Press OK and you are done. The free FS memory, in kb, will be shown and updated every 10 seconds.

To stop it, just go back and uncheck 'FS display'.

Regards

Pete

I think you have to buy the FSUIPC to have those facilities. Unregistered FSUIPC only supports 3rd party programs and does the g3d.dll error fix, basically.

And the memory check and all the Logging facilities.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Many thanks to all. I'll try Pete's way through FSUIPC as I run in full screen mode all the time.

The memory checker is active regardless of registration, and the Logging facilities are always available.

In the Logging tab, right-hand side, enter 024C in one of the offset boxes and set the Type to U32. Don't check 'Hex' as you want it in decimal. Then check "FS window" below. Press OK and you are done. The free FS memory, in kb, will be shown and updated every 10 seconds.

To stop it, just go back and uncheck 'FS display'.

Regards

Pete

And the memory check and all the Logging facilities.

Pete

Thanks Pete for that great tip! If you ever find the time to start a blog these are the kind of tips that would be great to get out there. As good and useful as FSUIPC is it has a really steep learning curve, and most of us are missing out on all its great features. Again, thanks!

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987!