Sign in to follow this  
Brenchen

The New PC (parts still deciding)

Definitely go with Samsung PRO SSD, they´re not tied up on a Sandforce controller, which can be dodgy, if you´re unlucky.

You should go 16 gigz RAM if you want to do video editing, it´ll benefit from more (perhaps even 32, but could that hamper overclock?!) But wise choice on RAM.

If I can make you, take a look at Corsair´s AX 860, very high quality, very silent. Don´t go for the i-model, they got the wrong fan, too noisy.

I´d say you should get identical fans for your push-pull, to ensure an even flow of air through the rad, But if you get two sets of different fans but with near identical cfm, you coud have each identical fan on each side of the rad, so each pair create an even flowing "column" of air of their own. Did that make sense...?

But why on earth delid with a WC? How high are you going to clock it?

Definitely go with Samsung PRO SSD, they´re not tied up on a Sandforce controller, which can be dodgy, if you´re unlucky.

You should go 16 gigz RAM if you want to do video editing, it´ll benefit from more (perhaps even 32, but could that hamper overclock?!) But wise choice on RAM.

If I can make you, take a look at Corsair´s AX 860, very high quality, very silent. Don´t go for the i-model, they got the wrong fan, too noisy.

I´d say you should get identical fans for your push-pull, to ensure an even flow of air through the rad, But if you get two sets of different fans but with near identical cfm, you coud have each identical fan on each side of the rad, so each pair create an even flowing "column" of air of their own. Did that make sense...?

But why on earth delid with a WC? How high are you going to clock it?

I actually prefer not the deliding, as it voids my warranty. But if it means I can get as higher clockspeed as I can, I will do it.

However, your last sentence, can you elaborate on what you're trying to say please? Are you trying to say with a WC that's already wayyy overkill (yes I know ;)) for my system, delidding will not give me much better results?

PSU wise of course I will visit every possibility. At the moment, I am still slightly leaning towards seasonic, simply because of the look. But at the end of the day, I'll go whatever is more value-for-money

Brendan Chen

Learning to use and getting use to FSX!

The AX 860 is made by Seasonic, they just smacked a Corsair label on it :cool: but that probably doesn´t make it cheaper :rolleyes:

Delidding plus custom WC, that´s very ambitious, and would be for the sake of extreme OC 24/7, benchmarking stuff. Sure the chip could reach temp.s around 90 when prime95-ing your 4.8 OC, but in everyday use, the chip would reach most decent temp.s on a custom loop.

Brendan, if you're not a video editor then get an I5 and save yourself some cash but if you are, then I suggest you stick with an I7. It's a pain in the &@($* to enable and disable HT continuously though...

If you're planning to OC then say bye bye to Ivy-bridge if you don't want to fry your CPU. However.... another option ontop of that is to de-lid your Ivy-bridge CPU. At the end of the day, its your decision so good luck mate!

My Z77 Sabertooth just died on me last week :Cry: . It had this red LED blinking continuously near the RAM slots. The mobo kept on failing to recognise the DDR3 rams and just wouldn't boot. I've tried every ram I could possible get my hands on but no luck.

The maximus V Gene just came on the mail today and I can guarantee you that this is worth every penny :smile2: I've gained at around 3-5 additional frames on FSX and around 7-9 frames on Crysis. I've sold both of my GTX 690s since I didn't need them at all (complete overkill) and just went for a single GTX 680.

So you can´t overclock an Ivy Bridge without destroying it? That´s interesting. Could you point me to some reviews that clarify that issue?

I´m also under the impression that the Maximus BIOS has temperature control, so if your OC drives your chip over a preset temperature, it shuts down.

So you can´t overclock an Ivy Bridge without destroying it? That´s interesting. Could you point me to some reviews that clarify that issue?

Nobody said that it would be impossible to OC an Ivy-Bridge...... You can of course overclock, the only problem seems to be the heat though. I would have ditched my SB I5 long ago if it wasn't for the heat problems of the Ivy and no.... I would never ever, ever de-lid any CPUs that I owned. I just can't watch myself tear that expensive cpu into pieces(It feels like watching your pet die a slowly and painful death)

The main point I'm trying to make here is..... if and only if you want a decent lifespan for your IB with and overclock 4Ghz+ then your only option would be to de-lid because those ridiculous heat temperatures WILL shorten the CPU's lifespan by at least 1/3. If you won't de-lid then keep that thing below 4Ghz if you want a decent lifespan.

The whole idea that I am spending this much time on research and reading and acquiring parts from all over the world is just so I can OC to achieve desirable (but modest) results on FSX with addons.

So delidding or not, it will need to be overclocked.

I have what I believe to be a ridiculous cooling loop in perspective, so if at a certain critical point, I can only gain 1 or 2 frames from delidding the CPU, I won't bother. I say frames because that's essentially the end result, a quantifiable end result; as oppose to 0.x MHz where it could impact differently in each system (so I believe anyway).

I am happy to delid if its going to give me an extra 5-10 frames or more, but regardless, the stock cooler will have its few moments of fame when I run the hardwares for faults :P

Brendan Chen

Well, I´m not keeping my cpu for seven years or so, if it lasts me two, fine, got new excuse to get something new and shiny :rolleyes:

I think delidding in itself could invoke a very short life time for the cpu, it could die right there. I´ve never heard of dangerous temps. on the 3770k on a Maximus board going above 4 ghz, you can go 4.2 on the stock cooler and get decent temps. Perhaps it´s the board that allows for low voltage, thus not as hot as you have experienced, BoeingMan. Case ventilation and ambient temperatures come into play, of course.

Well, I´m not keeping my cpu for seven years or so, if it lasts me two, fine, got new excuse to get something new and shiny :rolleyes:

Hehh! Who on earth wants to keep a CPU for 7+ year? :Skull:

3 years seems fine, but extreme heat temperatures( ie above 70 degrees Celsius) definitely won't get you past a year or so.

No, probably not. Not if it runs 70+ degr. 24/7. But with overclocking with offset mode, cpu winds down according to use. And I have great hopes for my H100i. But even if it only lasted me a year, if I got a full year of high clocks and smooth simming, I´d be happy to pay. All these years of chasing the dream...snifle

hrm. back to you, Bren..

Computer now built (still need tidying) and running a stress test on stock. The temperature went to the 90s without ANY OC.

Using default cooler and no delid, just want to see how it runs.

Is this normal? Or is my CPU not great?

Brendan Chen

Computer now built (still need tidying) and running a stress test on stock. The temperature went to the 90s without ANY OC.

Using default cooler and no delid, just want to see how it runs.

Is this normal? Or is my CPU not great?

I think a lot of people would say 90 is extreme WITH an overclock. Sounds like something is wrong. At least I hope that's the case. My i7-3770K should be arriving any day now. See if the cooler is seated correctly. Are you using thermal paste?

How do u tell if the cooler is seated correctly or not? If I need to resit it, do I need to first remove the thermal paste first? I have some good thermal paste which I was going to put on with my water loop. And what's auto volt?

I just set EVERYTHING to factory default, installed windows and all the testing stuff. Run the test.

Brendan Chen

How do u tell if the cooler is seated correctly or not?

You'r no - load default idle core temp should not be greater than 10C above ambient temp!

HLJAMES