Sign in to follow this  
Brenchen

The New PC (parts still deciding)

OK if I was going to go the kit, I need another thought on the case, as there are simply not enough optical drive bays :( Otherwise the case would have been perfect. Any more suggestions on a more modern exterior look cases?

Essentially the criterion are:

• Modern sleek look, going for a red + white/black look; motherboard and ram coloured red
  • Have about 6 or more optical drive bays; 1 for optical drive, 1 for fan controller, 3 for the reservoir that comes with the kit (to make the filling up of fluid easier), 1 more just for good luck
  • Able to fit a 3x 120mm 80mm radiator on push+pull without mods; I'm terrible with DIY stuff, and don't have the tools too :(
  • Able to mount a uATX board; Already bought the motherboard, sitting on someone's truck or plane as we speak
  • Big large side window for good looks
  • Good airflow inside, as I'm only going liquid CPU cooling, CPU and everything else is still on air

If anyone is using or know of any good cases (Don't really like the Corsair Obsidian series, though I know they are great!), or know where to look, please let me know.

Cheers,

Brendan Chen

Learning to use and getting use to FSX!

Another update again :P. Decided and commited.

The main difference this time being the cooler. I am now convinced to go semi-custom, for future expansions. Thanks Mehmet and Anthony.

Brendan Chen

Are you sure you want to get a custom WC kit when you already own a NH-D14? No wonder the XSPC kit will outperform the D14 (some 5 - 10ºC) but that's just going to translate into 100 - 200MHz

^What he said...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Are you sure you want to get a custom WC kit when you already own a NH-D14? No wonder the XSPC kit will outperform the D14 (some 5 - 10ºC) but that's just going to translate into 100 - 200MHz

From what I gathered from my readings, water cooling really kicks in when we take it up. But you know what, since I haven't put the big bucks into the WC system, I can hold onto the Noctua fans boxed up brand new. If I get my D14 up and getting to 5.0-5.2GHz (aim) I just won't bother with the WC. We'll see how it goes.

If I won't need WC, I'll just sell of the fans or keep it for next upgrade (by then I'll probably lost the fans somewhere anyway :P)

Brendan Chen

5.0-5.2GHz (aim)

So you are going to delid?

So you are going to delid?

Yea, I was always going to delid.

Brendan Chen

Hi

Just wonder , do you plan to 5.0 - 5.2 ghz with D14 or WC without chiller .

i asume its a 3770k and run HT on 24/7 ?

Kind Regards / Hasse

Hi

Just wonder , do you plan to 5.0 - 5.2 ghz with D14 or WC without chiller .

i asume its a 3770k and run HT on 24/7 ?

Kind Regards / Hasse

I was planning to run it on D14 to see how much I can push it before I go WC. Since Im new to WC, im bot sure as to what this "chiller" concept is, could you elaborate please?

My initial thought was, on D14 until it cant take it, then switch to water if needed, depending on my CPU.

Not sure how I will run the clocks yet, whether on full the whole time or not...

Brendan Chen

I write this to explain and clarify the diifernt ways of cooling a CPU.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/379593-oc-and-cpu-cooling/

Very well written, thanks for linking me to it.

Could you elaborate stage 3 please? What is considered fake water cooling? Will my proposed system be considered a stage 3 if without chillers? Or the closed loop is considered stage 3?

Brendan Chen

Stage3 closed loop , type H100

I consider your proposed system as Stage4 without chiller.

When i write this i yoused Stage it was easy , its no thight borders betwen the Stages

Hasse

Stage3 closed loop , type H100

I consider your proposed system as Stage4 without chiller.

When i write this i yoused Stage it was easy , its no thight borders betwen the Stages

Hasse

PM Sent

Brendan Chen

I was planning to put the money down for an OCZ Vector, but the shop I'm getting from says they are out of stock, and not sure when they'll get some more in. They suggested to go with Samsung 840 Pro. I did some digging around, it seems comparable to the Vector so I put the money down. Cost wise is just below vector, but pretty much similar (within 10 bux difference).

Does anyone know about this SSD? Was my decision correct on getting the Samsung 840 Pro? I heard good things and seen good reviews about the 830, and supposedly the 840 pro is even more superior.

Brendan Chen