Sign in to follow this  
om1994

Lettering on scenery library objects

Is it possible to put custom lettering on FSX scenery objects? I would like to put lettering on a control tower such as Welcome (name of airport) and elevation. I would also like to put company logos and lettering on some default hangars.

What scenery design program is best suited for this? It can be freeware or payware.

two options, one, find the texture for the default object you want to customize and edit the texture. this means it will be on all versions of this object in the sim.

second is to design a new object with custom textures in any 3D modeling app and export it as an .MDL and then place it in the sim.

If you don't feel you can make complete new buildings, then just make new signs and place them next to whatever building you are using.

Best, Michael

KDFW

Easiest thing to do would be to create a 3D sign (which could be as simple as a rectangle with a texture applied with the appropriate text) and then place that in the right spot (ie just in front of the hangar/tower). Messing about with default textures could cause all sorts of problems (eg there are only a handful of default towers and changing the texture will change all those towers at all the airports they are used at).

I haven't used this program myself but it is a new one and looks really easy to use (perfect for the beginner) plus there is a demo version. The price is only $30 which is very reasonable.

http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=insobjstu

www.antsairplanes.com

I too would love to do this, I have been looking at the program linked above

but cant find anyway to add text to a roof or wall etc

You would create a texture with the text you want on it (using some sort of paint program), save that as a bmp, then use the 3D program to create a blank panel/rectangle/ whatever and apply the texture to the panel. Before you know it you have a sign.

www.antsairplanes.com

Try Google Sketchup....it's free, and can export the file format needed to convert the file using the various free developers tools out there. I appologize as I am at work (shhhhh..the boss is coming!) so i can't think of all the steps or programs required off the top of my head. I will review and add to this later when I get home.

3 basic steps...

1) design model and texture it in Google Sketch up.

2) export a COLLADA format (.DAE) from sketchup of your model and open it in Model Converter X (free, just look for it and read about it at the FS developers website)

3) compile the model and install with your favorite object placement tool (SbuilderX, ADEx, default SDK object placer)

Once again...i may be missing a step or program...but i will check it out when I get home. Thats about it in a nut shell. A google search for "convert google sketchup models for FSX" will give you lots of helpful links.

Hi om1994,

GMAX is the tool to generate any kind of objects like signs, billboards, flags, any text etc. etc. in order to put it on any other FSX scenery object. If you download here from AVSIM the file "flags_and_signs_v1.0.zip" you may get the idea on what is required to do what you are looking for.

Take the package and try to mount a flag on a wall of your potential senery object just as a test.

Your main issue will be to generate a sign, a text, a symbol etc. in GMAX. This you need to learn !

Not so difficult !

Best

Dietmar

GMAX is the tool to generate any kind of objects

Gmax is a very good modelling program, but it comes with a very steep learning curve. Sketchup also has a learning curve, as will any new software a user is not familiar with, but it is not as steep, and can be used rather easily to create simple models with basic shapes. I'm willing to bet that after abou 2 or 3 hours of tething pain, one could become fairly comfortable with creating models using the sketchup method described above.

While we are on the topic, is there a good freeware model library with just signs?

Alan

Signs of ...?

There was/is a couple of FS9 based packages that were made with a bunch of signs. Don't recall what all was included and it doesn't look like they are on my HD from a quick glance. A search here using EZ Scenery or maybe at Flightsim, in case the files were lost here as a result of the hack, might turn things up.

Now I'll spend the rest of the day trying to recall who it was that made all those signs, oh so long ago...

Gmax is a very good modelling program, but it comes with a very steep learning curve. Sketchup also has a learning curve, as will any new software a user is not familiar with, but it is not as steep, and can be used rather easily to create simple models with basic shapes. I'm willing to bet that after abou 2 or 3 hours of tething pain, one could become fairly comfortable with creating models using the sketchup method described above.

it's matter of opinion and what works for you. I use both and find the sketchup user interface extremely confusing, then again I have seen some great work with it also. best to try all apps and see what works the best for you.

While we are on the topic, is there a good freeware model library with just signs?

Alan

You'll find alot of scenery developers don't upload just objects these days, especially signs and such which are fairly easy to make.

try flags_and_signs_v1.0.zip by Dietmar Loleit in the library.

Best, Michael

KDFW

Signs of ...?

There was/is a couple of FS9 based packages that were made with a bunch of signs. Don't recall what all was included and it doesn't look like they are on my HD from a quick glance. A search here using EZ Scenery or maybe at Flightsim, in case the files were lost here as a result of the hack, might turn things up.

Now I'll spend the rest of the day trying to recall who it was that made all those signs, oh so long ago...

I'll bet you're thinking of "add_dwag_signs.BGL" which was part of the Runway12 object libraries.

Jim

I'll bet you're thinking of "add_dwag_signs.BGL" which was part of the Runway12 object libraries.

Jim

Nope, that doesn't ring a bell. As I'm sure you know, EZ Scenery came out a bit after Rwy12 and the developer for Bird's Eye View setup a forum for the EZS crowd. There were a couple (?) packages of signs made, ...BINGO!!

One package is here or there are a couple at Flightsim. Search under author: Steve Ziegler. Couldn't remember Steve's full name earlier, but was able to track things down with a search at Flightsim. Made for FS9, but some (all?) may still be usable within FSX.

Hi Alan

try this : "flags_and_signs_v1.0.zip" . It's on th AVSIM lib.

Dietmar

There are many object libraries available at this and other reputable freeware sites. Just browse through the scenery design libraries and see what you can find. Remember that many 2004 files will also work in FSX. I have several installed, but I'll be darned if I can remember where I got them from. Everything from buildings and hangers, to static aircraft, to lights, to grass and trees, to signs. Good luck and have fun with your scenery projects.

I also just though of this...if you use the taxi sign feature of ADEx, perhaps you could position the signs in certain places at a specified elevation above ground level...might be an easy solution to try out.