Sign in to follow this  
JesC

Sound "Pause On Task"

Anyone know how to keep the FSX sounds audible when interacting with non-fsx windows; similiar to the effect of using the Pause on Task selection in the General Settings?

I seem to recall a payware that advertised this capability but can no longer locate it. My searches for a solution are producing no results.

Thanks,

Jesse

Jesse Cochran
"... eyes ever turned skyward"

P3D v5.3 Professional, Windows 10 Professional, Jetline GTX, Gigabyte Aorus X299 Gaming 7 mobo, i7 7740X @ 4.9 GHz, Corsair H115i Liquid Cooling, 32Gb SDRAM @ 3200MHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX1080Ti @ 11 GB

ORBX Global + NALC, ASP3D, ASCA, ENVTEX, TrackIR, Virtual-Fly Yoko Yoke, TQ6+, Ruddo+ Rudder Pedals

Hi Jesse,

If your motherboard has a seperate optical/SPDIF output and you have compatible gear to route your audio through, you can dedicate your FSX sounds to one audio controller and your system to another.

Also, it doesn't always work, but some audio controllers have a "do not use audio device exclusively" setting which allows the device to be shared between programs.

What hardware do you have/use?

best

jake

p.s this might get shunted to another forum

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

It is payware, but stops the sound muting in FSX when you change windows. Works great.

It isn't half payware - you would think it would do more for that $$$

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

I was a little surprised at the price too, but went ahead and got it and am very happy I did. It works so flawlessly and is so obtrusive that when I first read this post I remembered I had a utility that did that but had forgotten even that it was payware I got it so long ago. I hadn't thought about it since. It just works...

Hi Jesse,

If your motherboard has a seperate optical/SPDIF output and you have compatible gear to route your audio through, you can dedicate your FSX sounds to one audio controller and your system to another.

Also, it doesn't always work, but some audio controllers have a "do not use audio device exclusively" setting which allows the device to be shared between programs.

What hardware do you have/use?

best

jake

p.s this might get shunted to another forum

Jake, Thanks for the input. I am looking into this some. I'm afraid my knowledge is a bit limited in this area and I am mostly stumbling over myself. My Motherboard is listed as an Alienware 07NHO and I am just using a integrated audio (Intel® C600/X79 series chipset High Definition Audio Controller ??) with both the Nvidia Audio and Realtek Audio Driver software. ?? At least I think that's what you asked.

I haven't found any setting for "do not use... exclusively". At least not so far.

Hi, mate. This what you were looking for?

http://www.flight1.c...uct=soundstream

It is payware, but stops the sound muting in FSX when you change windows. Works great.

Adrian, I am pretty sure that must be the software I was remembering. That may end up being my least expensive and time consuming route. Thanks

Jesse Cochran

P3D v5.3 Professional, Windows 10 Professional, Jetline GTX, Gigabyte Aorus X299 Gaming 7 mobo, i7 7740X @ 4.9 GHz, Corsair H115i Liquid Cooling, 32Gb SDRAM @ 3200MHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX1080Ti @ 11 GB

ORBX Global + NALC, ASP3D, ASCA, ENVTEX, TrackIR, Virtual-Fly Yoko Yoke, TQ6+, Ruddo+ Rudder Pedals

Hi Jesse,

I couldn't find your motherboard using Google. Are you sure you listed it right? If you are using both an Intel and Realtek onboard device then it's possible you have either optical and/or SPDIF digital on at least one of those cards. However, and it is a big but, you need to be able to send both devices noise to the same destination (ultimately your speakers and or headset - more on that below) and hear both at the same time, something you cannot do with standard PC speakers or an amp. They have a selectable input, one at a time. You can send your FSX non-voice noises to your speakers and the ATC to your headset by choosing different outputs for same in FSX' settings but that's not of real relevance to you.

I have a multi-input audio interface connected to a mac so I can route both the analog (mini jack to phono cables) and the Coaxial SPDIF outputs to the same place (my speakers) via the audio interface's mixer so it's not a drag. The hard bit was getting my system to allow FSX to still send audio even when I was using the digital outputs for FSX and the analog for Windoze. It was only a later version of the Realtek HD driver that had the setting I refer to. If you have the latest Realtek HD audio drivers then the setting is under audio devices (right click on your speaker and choose "playback devices") select the output you want to configure and it is under "properties" -> "advanced" and it has a tickbox that says: Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device, and a second tick box that says: give exclusive mode applications priority.

I set FSX to use the digital output from within the FSX sound settings page and then chose the analog output as my default sound device from within Playback devices, as above. I then fiddled with the two tickboxes mentioned above and it worked. Your mileage may vary but you seem to have a Realtek HD device. (and a second Intel HD audio device - even better)

I didn't know addon software was available for this. I guess that is what the Realtek driver software is doing.

best

jake

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

Jake,

Thanks for the detailed explanation. It has been very helpful. In my case it looks like the Soundstream utility is going to be the best option. Nonetheless, I have a much better understanding of my sound card and drivers now. You have been very helpful.

Thanks,

Jesse

Jesse Cochran