Sign in to follow this  
flying_w

Still looking for white caps

I'm hanging in there on DX10, as I think I've overcome many of my image quality issues. One of the enhancements I know is out there is white caps, however I'm unable to find them. Are there any particular settings I need to see them? Tried all varieties of water 2.x and wind.

Simon

One way, there may be others.

REX%20settings.jpg

Waves.jpg

Wind 0kt

Calm.jpg

Wind16kt

Moderate.jpg

Wind36kt

Stormy.jpg

Water mid2.x

Beautiful whitecaps. I use the GEX textures (which replaced the default) and I have no problems with water effects set at 5 in the FSX config (as in the last picture in the last post above).

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks - I'd changed it in Rex at some point, and now I've changed it back again I've whitecaps!

The REX "Try This" water animation does display the DX10 white caps though it seems most of the other REX water animations do not. I tried the "Try This" animation and it does look great, but it comes with a noticable FPS hit over the default DX10 water animation, at least with my computer. I find that the DX10 default water animation look great anyways, so I'm fine without using any REX water animations (though all the other REX stuff is a necessity IMO).

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Rod, are you using the DXT1 option for wave animations via the OPTIONS manager inside REX? This shouldn't give you any more a hit than normal.

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

I've experimented some with the DXT1 compressed wave animations and found that the loss of image quality (over the 32 bit animation) and, in the case of DX10, diminished whitecap animation, did not compensate for their performance gains (but for DX9 the REX water animations are a "must have"). But thanks for the heads up on this.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

The REX "Try This" water animation does display the DX10 white caps though it seems most of the other REX water animations do not. I tried the "Try This" animation and it does look great, but it comes with a noticable FPS hit over the default DX10 water animation, at least with my computer. I find that the DX10 default water animation look great anyways, so I'm fine without using any REX water animations (though all the other REX stuff is a necessity IMO).

Just wanted to say "Thanks!" for sharing the above info. It definitely worked for me!

I think the REX water animation is actually called "Use This", if not mistaken.

I was using "Sparkling" since my DX9 days and it unfortunately did not work the same way in DX10. I also had to level down to 2X medium because of the frame rate hit. But "Use This" allowed me to slide the setting to the highest level and bring the white caps back into my sim. Framerate was not hit too badly, either.

An added bonus is that I used to suffer with a horrible looking "land reflection" if I went higher than 2x Medium. But with the switch to "Use This", the ugly reflections are gone and the white caps are looking great, all at the highest settings.

Alexander Alonso