Sign in to follow this  
Stelios

Mesh and Terrain

Ultimate Alaska covers everything for a decent area. ... Well worth it if you like that part of the world. Also links to GEX & UTX for the rest of US etc

G

Sent from my S3 using Tapatalk. Typing errors expected....

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

I'd suspect that any worries about elevations and airports as related to any high quality mesh programming might be somewhat academic.

Wondering, what exactly does that mean? That plateaus, ridges and sunken pits can't be fixed? :Thinking:

I have had FSGenesis mesh installed on my machine for many years and have not noticed sunken or elevated lakes.

Mesh also is created from real data. If the mesh is done right, then a mountain that is 3824 m tall in real life will be the same height in FS9/FSX.

Vector data can be accurate or not, especially when combined with accurate mesh. Most of the roads in the US, Europe and Japan are roughly in the right place, but can still look funny. Interstate 15 east of Miramar MCAS in San Diego is in the right place, but the cars plunge and rise out of culverts which in real life are bridged by concrete bridges. Freeway interchanges are flat with no visible bridges. Fixing this would take a lot of work.

Textures are not created from real data. Generally, the default forest, desert, water and grassland textures look good. The default farm textures are passable. The default urban textures are terrible. Addon textures and autogen may look better, but they still do not accurately depict what the real terrain looks like.

I have purchased the FSX NEXTMap Europe Bundle. The downloads consisted of several parts. I have chosen to download the full autoinstall files. Does it matter which one I install first, also in some regions there are 3 downloads must I install all 3 before I move to the next region?

stelios

Stelios Christofides

Textures are not created from real data. Generally, the default forest, desert, water and grassland textures look good. The default farm textures are passable. The default urban textures are terrible. Addon textures and autogen may look better, but they still do not accurately depict what the real terrain looks like.

That why prefer photo arieal terrian myself. UTX mismatch of terrain in urban areas