Sign in to follow this  
Ourgas2

Strange midair crashing over threshold !

HI all,

I would appreciate some help on this matter seen with the link below:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/73363517/Threrhold%20crash2.png

The aircraft seems to crash midair right above the threshold.

This particular shot is the threshold of rwy 34R at KSEA. But it happens also on other airports.

It happens almost exclusively with the MD-11. (The 737 NGX has no problem!!!).

BTW: Is there any feature to smoothen the KSEA airport boundaries which are now suddenly elevated? (Aircraft carrier mode..)

Thanks,

Christos

So the MD-11 crashes at the threshold of KSEA, and other airports, but the NGX does not ?

Are you using an addon scenery for KSEA ? Do you have AI aircraft package/WOAi etc ? Look in windows event viewer to see if there is an error message.

First suggestion...repeat your approach to KSEA in the MD11 until you get a crash. Make a careful note... before the crash ...of the day/time of the crash.

Then do the same approach at same day/time in the NGX or default aircraft and see what happens.

Try the MD-11 approach (1) with AI setting 0% and (2) with the addon scenery (if you are using one) disabled in the scenery library.

This might help narrow down the problem. However it could just be that your system is not capable of running the MD-11 and a complex airport and AI together.

Peter

BTW: Is there any feature to smoothen the KSEA airport boundaries which are now suddenly elevated? (Aircraft carrier mode..)

Thanks,

Christos

"suddenly elevated"...... something you are not teling us here....what have you changes that could cause the airport to be elevated ?

Have just reread your post and I guess you are talking about an aircraft crash, not a system crash...my apologies. Tried turning off crashes in the sim ?

Peter Schluter

Well the first thing I can think of is that the aircraft carrier mode interferes. Anyway, try to disable all crashed and try to land again. Lets see what happens.

Manfred G.

Ships are cooler that you think.

Hi Ourgas2

I am sorry you are having this Problem , and i must add i should Be the last one to give any suggestions on the matter Because i am also New with the MD-11 < but looking at you Pic it Looks to me it is the scenery for KSEA is causing this Not the MD-11 ,, there should not be this Big Drop in the scenery as I am Looking at it ..

I will uninstall this scenery and see what happens

I know i have had Many problems with installing EDDF i did every thing i can to fix it the Minute i install Frankfurt i get a lot of problems with other airports ( but not crashing ) when i uninstall EDDF every thing runs smooth ,, all i can say is there will be a Conflict between some airports ( even if all your Airports are from the same vender with the same Requirements )

Hop this will help

Oh By the way I ended up uninstalling EDDF to keep FSX smooth :)

Well all I can think of is to repair the registry files. If that doesn't work then maybe you should send a ticket to PMDG. They have way better expertise then us here

Manfred G.

Well all I can think of is to repair the registry files. If that doesn't work then maybe you should send a ticket to PMDG. They have way better expertise then us here

I will be very surprised if this is PMDG's fault. Clearly there is something happening with the scenery which is not right and I would look at that for a solution. The mystery factor is that the NGX doesn't have a problem.

SkipperMac

I have encountered this with other addons as well. It was like an object was colliding with the aircraft when there was nothing actually visible there.

I suspect the scenery addon is causing your problems. I have a simple suggestion to try and narrow it down.

First, does it happen only on that runway?

Second, does it happen if you take off from 16L and fly low on the climbout (ie: go through the same crash point in the other direction)

Third, if you land long, thus go higher over that point in the approach, does it still crash?

With my limited knowledge of scenery design, I might be led to believe that the scenery object (maybe the approach lights?) might have a higher than normal draw box, with contact points that cause a crash. A scenery object can be set to either be crashable or not crashable before compiling to the scenery bgl.

As for the aircraft carrier effect, in reality the end of 34R is about 12 meters higher than the ground outside the airport boundary. Is this a freeware scenery addon? Most basic freewre scenery addons/airport reconfigs tend to be limited to the default terrain mesh. The airport surfaces can't be easily sloped, only flattened to a constant elevation. when set over the default FSX ground, you will often get abrupt elevation changes. Not much can be done about it unless you know how to make custom terrain mesh, or purchase a higher definition terrain mesh addon.

Just to add some perspective, have a look at the approach end of 34r from street view in google earth. You can't get very close for high edtail, but you can see that there is substantial terrain relief in the real world.

Edited by pegger74

The mystery factor is that the NGX doesn't have a problem.

Yep, that is why he should send a ticket. If it isn't PMDG's fault they will tell him... No need to sacrifice one option to solution just because it might not help...

OP: we need more info, what runways and what aircraft do cause this? Is this a special afcad for KSEA? Can you remove it and try? Different airport and so on....

HTH,

Manfred

Manfred G.