Sign in to follow this  
FredK

Flashing Sky Problem

I have recently encountered a problem with momentary white flashes in the upper part of the screen. The flashes happen randomly every several seconds - something like a quick lightening flash. It is more noticeable when flying at higher altitudes since the flash encompasses a greater area of the upper screen. It is also more noticeable when there is a dark blue sky. I use Wideview and have 3 clients running. The flash happens simultaneously on each of the clients so it is not related to a video card problem I would think.

The thing is that I have been using FSX for years now and have never experienced this behavior until recently. I did recently update my Nvidia drivers so that could be a possibility. I am using Nvidia Inspector with the recommended settings for FSX.

In a search of the forum there is very little reference to such but some have indicated it happens when using real world weather which I typically use. I'm going to check that out but would still be interested in knowing if there is a fix. Again, I have not had this problem in the past.

Thanks,

Fred

Nothing to do with nvidia. It is a documented priblem were sinconnect gets overloaded. Usually the flashing is noticed when certain weather programs are injecting a weather update.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Eric 

I encountered this problem, when I was using ASE, not in dwc mode. ASE in standard mode, combined with another option, that I don't remember now wich one...caused me those flashes in the upper sky!

Do you have HIGHMEMFIX=1 in the [GRAPHICS] section of your fsx.cfg?

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Do you have HIGHMEMFIX=1 in the [GRAPHICS] section of your fsx.cfg?

Himemfix has nothing to do with flashing sky

Eric 

Didn't say it did, Eric.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Didn't say it did, Eric.

Paul - I have not fired things up yet to check out your recommendation about HIMEMFIX yet...but now I'm a bit confused about what you are saying.

Fred

If you are running a weather program the flashes appear when its loading new clouds, on some machines

Jay

Not a recommendation, Fred - I remember back when ******* Altove (aka "Bojote") was doing his research - he wrote, in one of the posts that, courtesy of Bojote

it will prevent cloud flashing and other anomalies.

This was taken from the notes I made at that time. I've just been so busy, I haven't had the time to track down his original research.

I suppose Eric could be right, but without further evidence from him, I have to do the research myself. As far as I know - HighMemFix allows FSX to manage more than 512MB of video memory on WDDM1.0 and WDDM1.1. Without it one may well have any sort of graphics "anomalies".

Paul, highmem fix will not cure what is going on here. The flashes occur due to the fact that simconnect is getting overloaded with data. The flashes are a result of a basically clogged pipe so to speak.

Eric