Sign in to follow this  
hipshot

Totally Lost on Replacing FSX.cfg with Bojote's One

Hi,

I'm after some huge help as I am totally lost. I have just bought a new computer with Win 7 64-bit. I can't remember how to overwrite the .cfg with Bojote's tweaked .cfg but anyway i can't save any change to the .cfg as I can't get permissions. I've followed directions I've Googled on ownership and permissions but I'm not getting anywhere and can't figure out what to do next.

Is there anybody out there who can give me some nice steps to follow to make it work so that I can use the 737NGX again?

Richard Wade

Hi

Im guessing you have FSX installed in C:\Programe files....

Programe files are protected by win7....and windows see's your CFG file as a file that a program needs to run, therefore it wont allow you to edit it.

There aer ways of gettin permissions with that folder but in all honesty, if its a new PC then im guessing you havnt loaded much in the way of addons so a complete reinstall shouldnt take long.

When i say reinstall, i mean to reinstall it into C:\FSX...keep it out of programe files.

And not C:\Programe file\microsoft\microsoft games\fsx

This will save headache in future too.

If thats not an option ( i reccoment you do this though )

right click on FSX folder and choose properties, set "write" and "modify" permissions for the "Users" group on the FSX folder and allow subfolders, then it should let you make changes.

Hi.

I think you can just drag the cfg file out of the default folder and edit the cfg file whilst its in the desktop area of your pc, then just put it back into your desired folder once you've done your editing.

Tony

Hi Richard,

I came across another site run by a guy we know here nicknamed "Word Not Allowed". (ie Srdan Kostic)

He offers an aletrnative tweak for FSX & P3D.

I use to have Bojote's but now use Word Not Allowed's, as I found personally through experience with both tweaks that Word Not Allowed's proved better for my rig.

Not only did my frames improve but so did the smoothness and visual quality. I only fly the ngx with add-on sceneries. See my specs.

Apparently, AVSIM are not allowing links to his website?! Just Google "#####" and it'll come up.

There is provision at the bottom of his page to ask any questions without the big "sign-up to my website" hassle.

Give it a go, it'll be interesting to see how your rig flies.

PS: more & more FS users are heading his way and trying his tweaks with good success. (You'll see how popular his site has become)

Good luck!

Rgds,

i7 8770K @ 4.7Ghz + Corsair H100i GTX  Water Cooler - 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000Mhz - NVidia RTX 2070 XC 8Gb - ACER X34 Predator IPS GSYNC 3440x1440 Monitor - ASUS ROG STRIX Z370H - 2 x Samsung SSD Pro 512Gb  - 1 x Samsung EVO 1Tb - Win 10 Pro 64  21H2 - MSFS

"All in, all the time"

Steve Summers

lol....^someone^ didnt like Word Not Allowed's bannishment.. :ph34r:

Im guessing you have FSX installed in C:\Programe files....

Programe files are protected by win7....and windows see's your CFG file as a file that a program needs to run, therefore it wont allow you to edit it.

Whilst true, it's also irrelevant in this case, as the fsx.cfg file is not stored in the FSX installation directory. Rather, it can be found in the user's AppData user profile directory structure, under %appdata%\Microsoft\FSX (i.e. C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.cfg).

To the OP: please provide a detailed account of what it is you're doing, and which errors you're encountering at what juncture. Your user profile and the files contained therein are write enabled for your user account by default, so you shouldn't run into file permission issues unless something is very wrong, or we're dealing with operator error. More information is needed to determine which is the case. Thanks.

lol....^someone^ didnt like Word Not Allowed's bannishment.. :ph34r:

LOL! Good 1 Luke!

Seriously, Word Not Allowed was banished?!

I really didn't hear about this......hmmm

Rgds,

i7 8770K @ 4.7Ghz + Corsair H100i GTX  Water Cooler - 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000Mhz - NVidia RTX 2070 XC 8Gb - ACER X34 Predator IPS GSYNC 3440x1440 Monitor - ASUS ROG STRIX Z370H - 2 x Samsung SSD Pro 512Gb  - 1 x Samsung EVO 1Tb - Win 10 Pro 64  21H2 - MSFS

"All in, all the time"

Steve Summers

Hi Spook,

Actually, I already had FSX in C\:Microsoft Flight Simulator but then I realised I didn't install it in the right user account so I uninstalled and installed it in my user account and now I have access. Thanks for your help anyway.

XCLTM3 - Thanks for your advice. I've had a look at Word Not Allowed's page. I don't get where to look. Do you have to read everything and add tweaks as you go along or what?

Also in case i choose Bojote's service if I don't want to get too complex what's the process to overwrite the .cfg with Bojote's offering? Can I just use Save As in wordpad?

Richard

OK just found the right page on Word Not Allowed's.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Richard

Also in case i choose Bojote's service if I don't want to get too complex what's the process to overwrite the .cfg with Bojote's offering? Can I just use Save As in wordpad?

Hi Richard,

I think both Bojote's and Word Not Allowed's pages offer some thing. All our systems are slightly different, but miles apart some times.While the cfg files can be made the same, our hardware and its configuration is usually different. What works using Word Not Allowed's tweaks may not work with Bojote's, so a bit of fine tuning is required until you get the desired result for your machine.

Now your question. When I play about with the ccfg files,I ALWAYS make a copy first..eg..fsx.cfg is the active cfg file. I copy it and rename it "fsxoriginalcfg.txt". This way I have the original saved and quite safe. I can now tweak the fsx.cfg file. If it all goes terrible, then rename the copy you made back to fsx.cfg and all is well. If you "lose" your safe copy, then delete the dodgy fsx.cfg file and when you restart FSX, it will create a new clean version of the fsx.cfg file

Seriously, Word Not Allowed was banished?!

I really didn't hear about this......hmmm

I happened to be in another avsim forum where some OP asked about tweaks and their issues. One of the administrators/moderator etc replied with some very helpful advice. Word Not Allowed also replied with different advice, also I thought very helpful, it was just up to the OP whose advice to take I guess, as you know, it is usually a balance etc. Anyway, the Administrator for some reason took great offence at Word Not Allowed and really blasted him,and I mean blasted him. I could not see the reason,as a few others inquired as well, but maybe some thing was going on in another forum as well I did not see. Shame really as the roasting caused the whole topic to be tainted. Administrator could have simply(pleasantly) said, he did not agree with Word Not Allowed's advice,and left it at that.

Regards

Geoff Bryce