Sign in to follow this  
foibles

Have you experienced an SSD failure?

Just wondering whether others here have had SSD failures.

If so, about how long ago did you acquire the SSD, and how long did it work before it died?

Vic

No failure but had an incompatibility with my laptop causing total loss of C: drive two times. Manufacturer's solution was to exchange similar drive specs but different model, then all worked ok and still is in my laptop now working fine.

I've had no SSD failure myself so far. Been using SSD on netbook since 2008 (OCZ SLC), and on two desktops since 2009 (Intel X25m-G2 + Intel X25-V). During that time I've had several HDDs fail on me.

My father in law had an unknown (Dell computer) mSata SSD fail on him just after the warranty expired after 12 months, but the replacement he bought (don't know that model either) is still running more than 3 years later.

I purchased a OCZ colossus about 2 years ago and it died on Day 1 - kept reporting it was a 60GB drive when it was a 120 GB and I couldn't write to it.

The replacement was excellent and is still going strong 2 years later playing FSX nearly every day.

When did your last USB stick fail?

pH

I have had two SSD failures both within a couple of months of purchase,  This was a year or so back but would really need to be convinced of their reliability to try another.

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Have not yet had any SSD drives fail on me, but have had plenty of old wheel drives that have crashed. I will never go back  B)

One have runned for 1,5 year and the other 6 months.

I have two Crucial M4s that needed a firmware upgrade. It took me 12 days to nail down what was causing the machine to blue-screen an hour after a cold boot. At first I didn't pay much attention to how long the machine would run but then I noticed it always seemed like about an hour. I needed to get stuff done so I started timing it so I could have everything saved and put away before the BSOD, in the meantime troubleshooting through parts replacement seemed a bit expensive so my approach was to just let it go until something smoked. When I started timing the BSODs I noticed the crash was happening exactly 1 hour after pressing the power button. I finally typed "Win7 BSOD one hour after boot" into google and my 12-day ordeal was over 15 minutes later.Here's an excerpt from the firmware changelog:

Corrects a condition where an incorrect response to a SMART counter will cause the m4 drive to become unresponsive after 5184 hours of Power-on time. The drive will recover after a power cycle, however, this failure will repeat once per hour after reaching this point...

Other than that they've been running every day for almost two years without a glitch.Jim