Sign in to follow this  
himynameistrev

AMD FX8350 8 core processor- My FSX Review & Performance

Nice post and review. Looks like a good chip. 4.8 Ghz on air??? wow. Went begrudgingly to Intel after 3 previous Fsx dedicated AMD builds. Have always been a fan. I'm getting very similar frames at heavy payware airports with PMDG NGX and the like. I'm OC'd @ 4.5 Ghz with my I7 3770K. Finally reasonably satisfied with my Fsx visual experience after 15 plus years of simming.

Love my AMD Phenom II Black 965.  But it's maxed out at 4.1 right now.  I think I am headed to the i7 3770K myself this summer sometime.  I will DEFINATELY look more into the FX8350 however sounds very interesting.

Thanks for the review!!  Nice job!  Ya gotta love the first post right out of the box.  So what are you trying to prove....   :lol:  :rolleyes:  

Respectfully,

Jet

Hi guys

I have also a AMD processor (FX-8150 8 cores) and a GTX-650 card, however my system

shows the following peculiarity: when I assign 254 in the affinity mask,that means 7 cores, all

cores when I am running FSX are at the max 100% and the frames drop dramatically(exteme stutters)

but when I assign one core the frame rate becomes normal again (20-25) and I can run NGX

ok,shou'nt be the   other  way around? any suggestions?

Thanks

Panos

i have the same isssue with (fx-8120) i have it running at 4.4ghz when i use 254 my frame rates become unstable they become high n low n stutters when i set it to 224 i get between 25fps to 12fps with ngx

i have the same isssue with (fx-8120) i have it running at 4.4ghz when i use 254 my frame rates become unstable they become high n low n stutters when i set it to 224 i get between 25fps to 12fps with ngx

It could have something to do with your fsx.cfg.

I noticed UsePools=0 in cfg increases load on my graphics card and lowers my cpu load. 

It could have something to do with your fsx.cfg.

I noticed UsePools=0 in cfg increases load on my graphics card and lowers my cpu load. 

so u think i should not use usepool=0 in fsx.cfg n i also notice i get higher frame rates when flying during the day n at night my frame rates drop

so u think i should not use usepool=0 in fsx.cfg n i also notice i get higher frame rates when flying during the day n at night my frame rates drop

feel free to pm your cfg if you want me to add everything I have in mine.

ok i am going to try that now

ok send it let me know if u got it

Here's the tweaks and settings I use 24/7 for vatsim flying. 

settings.jpg

Config Additions:

[BUFFERPOOLS]
UsePools=0

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=254

[GRAPHICS]
ForceWindowedVsync=1
TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096
HIGHMEMFIX=1

[Main]
FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.10

[Display]
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=400
TextureMaxLoad=30
UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=30
WideViewAspect=True

[TERRAIN]
LOD_RADIUS=6.500000

fx8350-4-2013-1.png

fx8350-4-2013-3.png

fx8350-4-2013-2.png

fx8350-4-2013-4.png

Flightbeam KPHX + NGX

when i set it to 224 i get between 25fps to 12fps with ngx

You know that's "just" 3 active cores (1 for the main scheduler & 2 for texture loaders) right? well, and core 0 for fibers

Don't get me wrong, that's what ******* Altuve always suggested and what has always worked best for me both with 4 & 6 core CPU's.

Don't get me wrong, that's what ******* Altuve always suggested and what has always worked best for me both with 4 & 6 core CPU's

Have you used affinity mask 224 on a 6 core processor? Just curious because I'm currently using affinity mask 62 on my 6 core processor. Thanks

Ben Weaver

SWA8485

Have you used affinity mask 224 on a 6 core processor? Just curious because I'm currently using affinity mask 62 on my 6 core processor. Thanks

224 wouldn't make sense with 6 cores since that would assign just one core, but I tried 14 for 3 active cores. 62 seemed to stutter a bit more in some situations, but it may be placebo effect.

224 wouldn't make sense with 6 cores since that would assign just one core, but I tried 14 for 3 active cores. 62 seemed to stutter a bit more in some situations, but it may be placebo effect.

Thanks for the info! I might try 14 just to see if I notice a difference. I do get some stuttering when I am in a highly populated city / airport with traffic on.

Ben Weaver

SWA8485

I know it's an old thread.. but I have a question:

I currently have the AMD 8120 overclocked to 4.3 ghz, is it worth the price to get the 8350 and overclock that one? Is it that much better?

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

Probably not. I have 4 AMD based FSX dedicated platforms under my belt (all Athlon and Phenom based). Finally switched over to Intel on my latest build. I love AMD, except for FSX. Intel's pipeline architecture is better suited for running single threaded apps like FSX. It is almost unique in terms of its requirements. It won't natively take advantage of multiple cores, dual GPU's, hyperthreading etc. 4ghz on my old 965BE does not = 4ghz on my I7 3770K for example. I have verified this as I've never been an Intel fan. Regards