Sign in to follow this  
himynameistrev

AMD FX8350 8 core processor- My FSX Review & Performance

I know it's an old thread.. but I have a question:

I currently have the AMD 8120 overclocked to 4.3 ghz, is it worth the price to get the 8350 and overclock that one? Is it that much better?

I5 3570k at factory clock 1.4 faster than fx8350k. Get i5 or I7 for fsx. Still use fx6300 for fsx but i5 k eats it for lunch and dinner.

Thanks.. I've decided to sell my AMD rig, and I've ordered a new computer for FSX with i7 4770k CPU that I plan to OC to 4.2 ghz. That should work better. :)

• Upvote 1

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

That's very nice and thank you but ,whats the point? I mean, I don't get it.  what are you proving or disproving. What I find interesting is getting an AMD CPU to that high of clock speeds and how to manage stability.

That's a confusing post if I'm honest. AMD cpu's are known for being able to achieve higher speeds than Intel. The 8350 comes stock at 4.2 or 4.4 GHz from AMD. And is open to be OC'd to 6.2 max in a standard bios. With proper cooling and power of course.

Considering AMD CPU holds the record for the fastest CPU overclock, and come with faster speeds stock retail. All high end AMD cpu's come 4GHz+ as standard now. New ones are now up to 5GHz stock.

I5 3570k at factory clock 1.4 faster than fx8350k. Get i5 or I7 for fsx. Still use fx6300 for fsx but i5 k eats it for lunch and dinner.

Wrong. Absolutely incorrect fact, AMD 8350 comes 4.2Ghz factory clocked.

Saw this thread on google as I have the same CPU and was wondering what performance I can get for FSX with it.

That's a confusing post if I'm honest. AMD cpu's are known for being able to achieve higher speeds than Intel. The 8350 comes stock at 4.2 or 4.4 GHz from AMD. And is open to be OC'd to 6.2 max in a standard bios. With proper cooling and power of course.

Considering AMD CPU holds the record for the fastest CPU overclock, and come with faster speeds stock retail. All high end AMD cpu's come 4GHz+ as standard now. New ones are now up to 5GHz stock.

Wrong. Absolutely incorrect fact, AMD 8350 comes 4.2Ghz factory clocked.

single threaded application like fsx the i3 4130 intel would outperform still outperform the fx6300 by 43%.   Want to build next desktop for fsx only intel cpu at this point.  fsx does not care about 6 cores like a fast and efficient cpu.  

THanks for posting the info Trev, I have only recently started flight simming and I am hooked... Been looking for info on AMD and fsx system and how to get the best settings.

I notice most flight simmers seem to have intel systems. I will try your settings and see how mine fares.

I have:- 

CPU: AMD FX8350 black edition unlocked running @ 4.1ghz

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990fx

Graphics: AMD Radeon HD7850 2gb

Ram: 16gb Corsair DDR3 1600

3x HDD: 3TB

CPU Fan: Arctic Freezer 13Pro air cooling

I've tweaked my CFG exactly like Word Not Allowed's guide. This has granted me 25-30fps in the VC and payware airports.

This shot shows the task manager at idle next to a load with FSX running. My affinity mask is set to 254, which instructs FSX to use the last 7 cores. Core #0 is reserved for windows use. FSX loads core #1 to 90-100% usage the entire time while the rest of the cores fluctuate usage throughout the duration of the flight. Upon exiting FSX, cores 1-7 go back to 0%.

Though I'm overclocked @ 4.8ghz in the bios, in windows 8 it does not display correctly. 

These following shots were taken to show what frames I'm getting at my display settings. The location is FSDT KLAX in the PMDG NGX.

I do not normally use ai traffic, this is just to show what impact ai traffic has on my FPS.

This short video is an unrealistic scenario, but it shows processor can handle both games simultaneously with almost no fps impact on either. 
http://youtu.be/ZccOKgjRArQ

With the right system setup and some fsx cfg tweaks, I've been able to squeeze some very good performance from this CPU. Its more than worth the $180 you can currently purchase it online for.

Hope some of you might find this helpful. And for others, please keep comparisons to other products and companies out of this thread.  

I have the same processor, would you be able to share your fsx.CFG?

Edited by Jim Young
Links to images no longer exist.

THanks for posting the info Trev, I have only recently started flight simming and I am hooked... Been looking for info on AMD and fsx system and how to get the best settings.

I notice most flight simmers seem to have intel systems. I will try your settings and see how mine fares.

I have:- 

CPU: AMD FX8350 black edition unlocked running @ 4.1ghz

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990fx

Graphics: AMD Radeon HD7850 2gb

Ram: 16gb Corsair DDR3 1600

3x HDD: 3TB

CPU Fan: Arctic Freezer 13Pro air cooling

Welcome to the forum.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

I have amd fx 8350 and gtx 970 with 8gb gskill ram and I'm getting 50 fps with aerosoft a321 all settings minimized normally I can't get over 20 at busy airports, therefore I'm flying in x plane 10 now

Yes, it's too bad the OP never bothered providing us with FSXMark results. I have the 6-core version (FX-6300) and fine that I get acceptable performance running "stock," but throw in any add-on scenery and framerate s l o w s t o a c r a w l. FSXMark scores barely get above 20. Looking forward to moving to Skylake next month.

James David Walley

Ryzen 7 7700X, 32 GB, RTX 3080