Sign in to follow this  
realkewl

3D Printer and FSX home cockpit Panel

Just curious with all the news about 3D printers was wondering if anybody tried to create a home cockpit panel using a 3D printer?

That would be really cool!!! Plus, save a lot of time and material then building one.

Thanks,

Ray

I am looking to model 737 landing gear handle for my saitek switch panel and lucky enough to have access to very very costly 3d printers - good question Ray

Rich Sennett

I am looking to model 737 landing gear handle for my saitek switch panel and lucky enough to have access to very very costly 3d printers - good question Ray

Keep us posted with your progress and post some pix...that would be really cool.

-Ray

I will post some pics - also have to set 2 panels into home made pedestal I made almost done.

Rich Sennett

I work at an architects office, and we have a very large epxensive amazingly good 3D printer. It can print either metal, styrofoam, Plastic pellets or Polypropylene (you have to change the printing heads though which is a pain) and can print things up to 48"x36"x24" with the metal head, and with the other two heads sizes up to 52"x42"x26". Costs a whole lot to run but its very reliable and precise. I should think about making some things for my non-existant (but on the wishlist) home cockpit! 

"The Skies the limit"

Remy Mermelstein
777-300 FS Pilot, Deltava

P3Dv4.1, ASP4, UTLive, ReShade + URP + PTA, All settings max'd, i7 Core Extreme @ 5.2gHz, GTX 1080, CyberpowerPC Gaming Laptop, 500GB SSDx2, 32GB DDR4 RAM. 

39990572681_f326ac97d7_o.jpg

Yes the one I am talking about does the same thing pretty cool but very expensive  :) this is a terrible picture but thought I would throw it out there saitek panels are not mounted have to wait till this weekend.

15hof2r.jpg

Rich Sennett

I dont like the 3d printers for this kind of thing until the quality is a lot better. 

To qualify, I mean cheap 3d extrusion printers.   With a resolution of 150-200 microns it's not good enough unless you are happy with very utilitarian panels.  

Something like the gear handle is a good application for it and something worth taking the time to fill in and sand back smooth for a good finish.

For diy panels I think a laser is the cheapest way with excellent results if you are talking about a machine making them.   Following that a DIY cnc router will do ok, certainly better than a 3d printer but the engraving of letters will not be as crisp as a laser but look lots better than the printer which cant do the engraving anyway.

Going to model handle today post shot before I send it to shops for build.

Rich Sennett

Ok quick model and render but will be built as seen here in exact colors now the saitek switch panel gear lever is just a cylinder and know way of cutting it off with out not much to grab on too afterwards so am going to adhere it over the existent gear handle - thanks for looking. This part looks bulky but in reality the handle diameter is a little less than 1" dia. total length 4"

1f8ow0.jpg

Rich Sennett

That looks really nice. What program do you use?

Remy Mermelstein

777-300 FS Pilot

"The Skies the limit"

Remy Mermelstein

P3Dv4.1, ASP4, UTLive, ReShade + URP + PTA, All settings max'd, i7 Core Extreme @ 5.2gHz, GTX 1080, CyberpowerPC Gaming Laptop, 500GB SSDx2, 32GB DDR4 RAM. 

Solidworks for model saved out as a parasolid for shop to build and checkout keyshot for rendering spent no time on this render - keyshot is awesome.

Rich Sennett

Coolio

Remy Mermelstein

777-300 FS Pilot

"The Skies the limit"

Remy Mermelstein

Please take photos of your progress on this.  I am sure al lot of simmers would be interested on how this is done a nd see the results. Thx - also, was that a shot of you own cockpit?

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Using 3D printers for most panels will be expensive an inefficient.  3D printing is excellent for the oddly shaped miscellaneous parts like the gear levels, throttle handgrips, etc.  Your average panel is actually pretty simple to make with the cheapest of computer navigated machines - a CNC router.  The panel itself is flat, so you can use flat stock (i.e. plastic sheet) and cut the shape out.  In the best scenario, you actually get black painted/laminated white plastic stock of the appropriate thickness (usually 1/8" or so is about right).  With the right CNC router, you can use it to make a full thickness cut for the shape of the panel as well as a shallow partial thickness cut through the out blakc later revealing white underneath for all the lettering and lines.  A couple LEDs behind the panel will then back light the panel as well.

Then it's just a matter of filling the panel with off the shelf electric switches.  3D prinitng will be good for the couple knobs or buttons that aren't a fairly standard shape.  However, you'll find that 90+ percent of switches can just be bought straight from a RadioShack type of store for a couple bucks.  Often you'll actually want to make the final panel by sandwiching two panels together with the rear panel simply being there to hold the switches.

I haven't actually gotten up and running on my work yet (still looking for a 3D CAD/Assembly program that I can afford...Alibre Design PE might be my winner), but the CNC routers that can do most of what we need (i.e. 5-10" panels) are $600-1000. 

3D printing is much more expensive.  It is usually priced based on volume and a 1,000 cm3 (about 4" cube) can exceed $1500.  Now most people aren't making solid cubes, but you get the idea.

Eric Szczesniak