Sign in to follow this  
Martin Georg EDDF

Opinion-What's the best Flight Plan software for FS2004?

Guest Tomlin

In your opinion, what is the best flight planning software for FS2004 that will allow you to not only choose automatically choose your waypoints between A to B, but allow you to change the waypoints between A and B, and allow for an Alternate airport?Thanks,Eric

Hi Eric.The best tool that matches what you need is FSBuild.I

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

I have been a user of FSNAV for many years and highly recommend it. One feature I especially appreciate is that you can go to the FSNAV screens and the simulator keeps flying (just like the real thing) and it doesn't seem to have an effect on my fps.Dale

Dale

Guest G. Stone

FSBuild 2. Very flexible. Good product

FSNavigator is what I use, and am very happy with it. It has many features that I like. I'm sure FSBUIL is good also. Take your pick.

FSBuild:- Easy to use but at same time allows the more experienced user to interact with the program;- Configurable interface;- ICAO FP format;- It will give you an alternate for a lot of airports;- It's not a moving map;- Lot of export options;- Takes in to account the winds (AS2004 or FSMeteo) for fuel planning;- Solid plane profiles database;FSNav:- Moving map;- Flight plans in the format point to point;- Doesn't give you alternates;- only exports FS2004 format (I believe that for some planes you can also find modules)- Doesn't take in to account winds for fuel planning;- The planes profiles are simpler;- maybe a bigger SID/STAR data base;I'm using both. In the pre flight planning FSBuild (Flight plan, fuel, step climbs etc). During the flight FSNav (as a map without showing the plane), checking ILS freq, airport information etc. Only use FSNAv if the plane doesn't have the RxP Garmin installed eg: Airliner, if the Garmin is installed then I don't even open it.Jos

Guest LLgaz

Both are excellent in their own right.I actually use both together.......FSNav is more help in the actual flight planning process in you're building your own plan from scratch. Its easier to zoom in and pick out airways, etc.So what I do is use FSNav to pick out my airways, and waypoints, then I type them into FSBuild because FSBuild can automatically include all waypoints along an airway, but with FSNav, you have to enter all manually.The map interface on FSBuild is really cumbersome compared to FSNav. However, FSBuild's auto planning feature is way better than FSNav's.Bottom line:1. I use FSBuild to autoplan, export to FSNav, and analyse or adjust my plan because its easier to use FSNav's map.OR2. I use FSNav to do my plan from scratch by viewing the map and choosing airways, etc. I type these up in the text section of FSBuild and it automatically builds the plan for me, which I then export to FSNav for analysis and approval.I can only do this because I have both. If you can get both, then I highly recommend it. If you can only get one, I will recommend FSNav over FSBuild but only by a 51% recommendation for FSNav vs a 49% recommendation for FSBuild. And as soon as financially possible, get the other.I should point out that both programs also offer more than just flight planning. In the case of FSBuild it also offers Fuel planning, (taking winds aloft into account as well) and Vspeeds. FSNav also offers fuel planning although its less accurate. The map in FSNav also works as a moving map when FS is actually running and FSNav has a built in FMS system which will even fly holds for you automatically. Naturally, there are those here who think that using FSNav's FMS is unrealistic, which it no doubt is. However, flying the default 747 without an FMC which the real world 747 has, is also unrealistic. So the FMS of FSNav is a perfect stand in for an FMC for the default 747. It has a lot of the functions that a real FMC has, including speed and altitude constraints and even adjusts your heading to compensate for winds. Did I mention that it also does holds.. :)

Guest bobsk8

I use FS Nav after trying a demo of FS Build. I like the moving map on FSNav and use it constantly while in flight.

Guest CargoMun

FSNav gets my vote for sure. With updates from NavData website it plots high alt airways as well as NDBs and many more automatically and then I can edit the waypoints as i go along.Another thing FSNav can is actually fly the route and manage the aircraft controls as an autopilot. I used this to great extend in FS2002 since i hated its GPS.Now with the Garmin in FS9 its not that much needed but still a nice option.I still use FSNav to auto-tune my radio NAV1 and 2 for runways in every aircraft :)

>FSNav:>- only exports FS2004 format (I believe that for some planes>you can also find modules)"Only exports FS2004 format?"How about:ACS-GPSFS2000FS2002FS2004Radar ContactSquawkBoxUniversalTextWindowsINIThat is a complete list of the "stock" export modes possible...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest LLgaz

Also, you can get modules that allows FSNav to export to other addons as will. Like the PMDG737 for example and if I remember correctly, it can even export to the 767PIC.

FS I stated. Sorry for my ignorance where you can use the privateprofile syntax (windows ini), plain text and ACS-GPS? Radar contact: I believe for ver 3 is the FS syntax. Forgot about the SB since never used it. Jos

Guest LLgaz

>>>>or you opt for a good electronic map.<<<<