Sign in to follow this  
lassekronborg

Free alternative to TOPCAT

Hi again,

I can't reproduce that error at EHAM. Are you using Excel 2007 or newer? When I enter EHAM I get correct runway lenghts.

Any others having the same problem?

Cheers

Hi Lasse,

I'm using Excel 2007, with macros enabled. I don't know if macros are necessary for the sheet to work fully, but I assumed so.  If I select EHAM for departure all runways look correct. The problem for me is with the destination input. For EHAM, some of the runways have the wrong length. Typically the first four listed look right (04, 22, 06 and 24). 09, 27, 18C, 36C, 18L, 36R, 18R and 36L are often wrong, and the lengths given vary, so it's not consistent. Sometimes it's only the last two or the last four which are incorrect.  In my Excel at least, there seems to be a problem with some destination airports with more than four runway ends. I've tried KLAX, KSEA, KSFO, LIRF and EDDF with similar problems. However I've also tried EBBR a few times and it hasn't yet given a problem.

If I select EHAM as departure and then also as destination all runway lengths are correct every time in both fields.  Then I can select another departure airport.  So that is a possible workaround.

Kevin

ki9cAAb.jpg

Hi Lasse,

I'm using Excel 2007, with macros enabled. I don't know if macros are necessary for the sheet to work fully, but I assumed so.  If I select EHAM for departure all runways look correct. The problem for me is with the destination input. For EHAM, some of the runways have the wrong length. Typically the first four listed look right (04, 22, 06 and 24). 09, 27, 18C, 36C, 18L, 36R, 18R and 36L are often wrong, and the lengths given vary, so it's not consistent. Sometimes it's only the last two or the last four which are incorrect.  In my Excel at least, there seems to be a problem with some destination airports with more than four runway ends. I've tried KLAX, KSEA, KSFO, LIRF and EDDF with similar problems. However I've also tried EBBR a few times and it hasn't yet given a problem.

If I select EHAM as departure and then also as destination all runway lengths are correct every time in both fields.  Then I can select another departure airport.  So that is a possible workaround.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Many thanks for the very good description of the problem which lead me almost directly to the solution.

It turned out to be my mistake and not excel's, though I hate to admit it.

I'll have a new version uploaded on AVSIM very soon. I also found some errors in CG calculations when using Lbs.

The new version will also enhance the load sheet quite a bit. Expect to see a very professionally looking Flight Briefing Package printable in the good old pin printer style.

Cheers

Lasse

Hi again everybody,

The Dispatch sheet has been updated to version 4.6. If you enjoy the sheet, this is an important update, as I have cleared a lot of bugs and added some nice new features as well as finished the calculations for Center of Gravity and the Take Off Trim setting. The updated Flight Briefing Package has also been greatly expanded.

These are the changes from version 4.5:

- New option to generate completely random manifest. Contrary to the version 4.5 way which generates a load sheet based on the entered average weights and selected number of PAX.
- Names generator now takes the statistical frequency of the names into account. Now many more Smiths and Johnsons than Vangs.
- Calculation of PMDG PAX equivalent was set to use a PMDG PAX weight of 84kg. This has been corrected to 79.32kg.
- Corrected bug in passenger manifests that could show less names than the indicated number of passengers.
- Mitigated scrolling when creating manifests.
- Manifests can now be created no matter which sheet is active.
- CG and T/O trim calculations are now valid.
- Corrected trim /CG calculation error when using Lbs.
- Corrected manifest export when using Lbs
- Renamed flight briefing page to "Summary" and Load sheet page to "Flight Briefing"
- Expanded the load sheet to cover a full flight briefing package (without weather and specific route information).
- Added a feedback sheet for gathering fuel/time usage statistics to improve further versions of the sheet.
- Rebuild of database sheet to (hopefully) mitigate some rarely seen failures in runway lengths at some airports.
- added minimum reserve fuel figure to the fuel section of the planner.
- Changed MTOW of PMDG aircraft to reflect the FMC limit and not the FCOM vol1 figures, which were very low.

Remember that it is necessary to allow macros to use the passenger/luggage generator.

As you can see from the above list, I have added an extra sheet. The idea is, that those of you who want to help me refine the fuel/time calculations send in a few flight details via mail. When I have received enough reports, I'll be able to use the statistics to make small changes in the calculations and thereby hopefully make the predictions even better.

The link to avsim file library: http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fsxutil&DLID=178441

Cheers everybody - and so many thanks for your kind words and for taking the time to make suggestions and requests here and via the support mail address.

Lasse Kronborg

So you are only limited to the number of seats that is the maximum of that type of aircraft: 736 = 130 seats, 737 = 144 seats, (PMDG has place for 146, this will be the limit in the next version I'm working on), 738 and 739 = 189 seats.

As for the BBJ I got the max seat numbers from Boeings sales webpage. I'm not sure they are true.

Lasse, you should wait till Ryanair is going to let their paying payload standing during the flight as their CEO Michael O’Leary was dreaming. This will beat all the figures you might find in Boeings' specs. :Praying:

BTW: Great work, thanks!

Regards,
Axel

Lasse, you should wait till Ryanair is going to let their paying payload standing during the flight as their CEO Michael O’Leary was dreaming. This will beat all the figures you might find in Boeings' specs. :Praying:

Ha, I thought that was an Aprils Fool. It would really make the Center of Gravity calculations more challenging. During climb everybody would be lying on top of each other in the rear of the cabin and during descent they would be stacked outside the cockpit door. And if the passengers didn't bring any luggage a 737-800 would fit around 250 PAX before reaching maximum zero fuel weight. That's a lot of paying meat to have tumbling around in the cabin. Would I go on a plane like that....? Without hesitation yes!

Btw, although I don't think the idea of standing passengers is a realistic dream, I have flown with a least one airline that had squeezed the seats so tight to fit more passengers, that it made me feel like if I was standing (I'm 2 meters tall).

Cheers

Lasse

Hello Lasse.

I commend for making the effort and for committing so much of your time to this project, I appreciate everything dedicated people such yourself bring to this hobby.

I tried v4.5 and have just downloaded and unzipped v4.6 and just wanted to make a comment based on how my copy is behaving. When I select LBS as the preferred weight I don't see any of the values in the load section changing, the standard PAX weight remains at 74 kgs. I also thought the standard weight had been changed to 79.32 kgs as per your changes list from 4.5 to 4.6?

Once again, thank you.

Regards,

Paul

Hello Lasse.

I commend for making the effort and for committing so much of your time to this project, I appreciate everything dedicated people such yourself bring to this hobby.

I tried v4.5 and have just downloaded and unzipped v4.6 and just wanted to make a comment based on how my copy is behaving. When I select LBS as the preferred weight I don't see any of the values in the load section changing, the standard PAX weight remains at 74 kgs. I also thought the standard weight had been changed to 79.32 kgs as per your changes list from 4.5 to 4.6?

Once again, thank you.

Regards,

Paul

Hi Paul.

Glad you like my work.

I have made a short comment about changing units in the instructions document. When you change unit every calculation will change accordingly. But the values entered by the user (in all the blue cells) don't change automaticaly. You'll have to do that. Use the unit converter in the bottom right. But if you use the ctrl-r function the random aircraft payload generator will use avarage weights more suitable for lbs i.e. pax avg weight around 160lbs etc. Then just export the values from the generated pax manifest by using the ctrl-e function.

Lasse

Oh and by the way. You choose what standard pax weight you use. 79.32kg is used to "translate" whatever weight you use to a pmdg pax number since in the ngx you enter pax number and not pax weightin the setup.

Lasse

Wow! This stuff is splendid! Thanks a lot for all the work you've put into this! B)

-Henrik

i7 9600K  -  RTX 2080  -  32gb DDR4  -  Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog

Hi Lasse,

Very cool this sheet!!!

Are you thinking in transform it in a cool app?

Thanks for the nice job!!

Hi Lasse

Have been away for some time and didn't have time to get into the forum

I have tried your link but the file seems not available.

Could you please check and re post

Thx Ian

Ian C. McCulloch

'What would one do without Malt Whisky? Slainte Mhath'

It only can get better

Hi Lasse

Have been away for some time and didn't have time to get into the forum

I have tried your link but the file seems not available.

Could you please check and re post

Thx Ian

Hi Ian

The link works. But every time I update the file it gets a new url by avsim. The current file is linked to in this topic in my post from july 22nd.

Lasse.

Hi Lasse,

Very cool this sheet!!!

Are you thinking in transform it in a cool app?

Thanks for the nice job!!

Thanks,

I have no plans for an app. The sheets is programmed via excel formulas and as such nothing can be converted to an app. And also I have no app programming skills.

But when I plan flights I do it on the computer and then put the file in my dropbox and open it on my tablet. It works very well.

Lasse

The FMC and past experience is better than TopCat at times. If you get my drift  :wink:

Hi Lasse,

Great work on the dispatch sheet. The latest version is really neat!

Because of my ignorance, though, I have to ask for help with the passenger settings: 

What is Y, C and F short for?

Best regards,

Mikkel