Sign in to follow this  
lassekronborg

Free alternative to TOPCAT

And by the way: If you find that the word document provided in the download is missing som information about how the sheet works please say so. I developed the sheet alone, so there might be a lot of things I hadn't thought about not beeing obvious to everyone.

Lasse

No problems, but you might want to sign your full name there in your signature or you may find that your posts have vanished into thin air :Cry:

FYI, in my 2 years of flying the NGX and using TOPCAT, the figures generated by TOPCAT and the FMC have never been the same once. However, I have never had an issue and am yet to take the localiser out at the end of the runway and end up with a cut-up fuselage belly :db:

Signature - fixed. Yeah the TOPCAT is the worst in fact of calculating everything because they don't have PMDG's 737 configuration. So from ZFW to MTOW and so on they don't own the proper datas. For this reason being, TOPCAT is not accurate. I hope they'll fix it in the not so far future, not saying that your's not good. It absolutely is, can replace every kind of Performance and weight calculator program so far. OK it's actually not a program but compared to some other programs how smart things can do, it could be a program.

Balan22

Balint Szarka

CPU Intel i9 9900K OC'd to 5Ghz

RAM 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 16GB)

GPU 8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER

Signature - fixed. Yeah the TOPCAT is the worst in fact of calculating everything because they don't have PMDG's 737 configuration. So from ZFW to MTOW and so on they don't own the proper datas. For this reason being, TOPCAT is not accurate. I hope they'll fix it in the not so far future, not saying that your's not good. It absolutely is, can replace every kind of Performance and weight calculator program so far. OK it's actually not a program but compared to some other programs how smart things can do, it could be a program.

Balan22

Thanks B)

We could call it a program. Excel is just the framework. If I could I would turn it in to a stand alone application. But for now, and with my level of programming skills, I'm tied to Excel.

Is it just me or does the link not work?

Never mind, I manually searched for it and it came up. The link just gave me an error. Sorry.

Updated version available in the avsim file library

Version 4.7.1 is now available and the issues from version 4.7 has been fixed! Here is the change log:

Revision 4.7.1

- Links to non-existent spreadsheet removed.

- Formatting in converter cells fixed.

- Improved scrolling when using payload generators and exporting the manifest to the flight planner.

- Added a weight and balance graph to the Flight Briefing Package.

Revision 4.7

- Vspeeds are now calculated for iFly BBJ, BBJ2, and BBJ3.

- CG still can't be calculated for BBJs. But now at least it doesn't show #I/T but N/A instead (looks better).

- Printing area defined for the "Summary" to match the table.

- Random manifest generation now takes route information into account when randomizing luggage weight.

- Corrected the random manifest generator so that passengers wouldn't get two of each name (Paul Paul Johnson Johnson)

- Generated passengers with infants now bring more carry-on than the average PAX.

- Corrected how average number of bags and average weight of bags are shown in the payload section in the fuel planner sheet after importing from the generated manifest.

- Passenger manifest luggage weight will now be correctly exported to the flight planner.

- Actual load factor displayed in the passenger manifest

- Now possible to select between different axis data in the flight profile.

- Actual cruise temperature for primary and alternate route limited to one decimal.

- Distribution of cargo and baggage between the two compartments is no longer done automatically. Thus the user has more influence on the aircraft center of gravity.

- Center of gravity limitations displayed for takeoff.

- Set minimum fuel button added to the fuel section to quickly load the minimum fuel needed.

- To new buttons in the payload section of the fuel planner replacing the CTRL-m and CTRL-r functions.

- A button to change units instead of a roll down menu. This makes it possible to autocorrect all previously entered weights to the new unit.

- Calculations of Optimal flightlevel when using Lbs was corrected (heavily). This impacts fuel calculations in Lbs mode.

- Trim settings calculations uses interpolation for better results.

- Fuel for takeoff run included in calculations. De-rates now impact fuel usage slightly.

- General fuel calculations improved.

- Selected acceleration height and reduction height will now impact fuel and time required realistically (which is not very much).

- Landing flap setting will now impact fuel consumption slightly.

- Taxi fuel consumption lowered to a more realistic level and is now influenced by aircraft weight.

- Number of seats are no longer limited only by a fixed upper number but also by cabin length. You can't have 189 first class seats in a 737-800.

- Passenger weight is distributed according to seat classifications. Flying with an empty first class section and a full coach section means more weight in the back.

- Cargo weight now affects CoG a bit more realistically

- Contingency fuel is no longer regarded as reserve fuel.

And the link:

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fsxutil&DLID=178928

Please note that links in earlier post no longer works as the avsim file library assigns a new url for every new version. I had a few reports about broken links on that account.

Please enjoy - and as always you are more than welcome to make comments, suggestions and bug-reports here in the forum or at akornfsx@outlook.com

Cheers

Lasse Kronborg

Hi all,

Version 4.9 has just been uploaded. Here are the changes:

Revision 4.9

- New fuel load button to load max fuel taking weight limitations into account. (ie. short routes do not allow full tanks as the max landing weight will be busted).

- Now possible to enter tankering / ballast fuel.

- Change runway lenght unit with a button. This allows runway selection to be updated automaticaly. Hence no need to reselect runway after runway unit change.

- Small changes to the layout of the weight section.

Revision 4.8

- Fixed landing runway in Flight Briefing Package's Landing Report showing the takeoff runway instead of landing runway.

- Corrected CoG envelope for 736,737 and 739. 738 was correct since version 7.4.1.

- Added third CG graph in Flight Briefing Package showing how CG shifts during the flight.

- Fixed random load generator causing errors when there is no Y seats onboard.

- Fixed error when calculating luggage weight for seat classes other than Y.

- Adjusted randomized luggage to be of slightly lower weight.

- Cross in landing and take-off CG graphs adjusted.

- Rear compartment no longer turns red when all luggage is loaded in the front compartment.

- Ambient air pressure (QNH) cells turn red if entered value is not within the normal range + a margin. (from 850 to 1090 mb/hpa)

Please note that links in earlier posts no longer works as the avsim file library assigns a new url for every new version.

This is the new link:

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fsxmisc&DLID=179242

Regards

Lasse Kronborg

Just a heads up that this software is free and appears to support your program.....Kingsoft Office 2012 (8.1.0.3030)

ZORAN

This is an amazing tool, but does anyone have any pointers as to how one would use this along with something like simBrief. Are these two tools supposed to do the same things, or is simBrief more for calculating alternates, finding NOTAM's, etc, while this tools is just for performance calculations? I ask because I seem to be getting different values for the weights from simBrief and this tool. Maybe I am just doing something wrong? Is it safe to assume that this tool is more accurate than simBrief in terms of performance and weight calculations (as in, simBrief is more for flight planning and briefing weather, etc)?

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpgsig_TheBusIveBeenWaitingFor.jpg

Alfredo Terrero

Besides aircraft performance is very much defined by load weights including PAX. So to make accurate calculations this information is needed.

I guess, but airlines do not know the passenger load weight or total baggage weight (only hold baggage is weighed).  Presumeably they use some sort of algorithm based on average passenger weights and cabin baggage. Not exactly 'accurate' in my book. 

Does it matter?  Seemingly not. 

Supporter.png

John

This is an amazing tool, but does anyone have any pointers as to how one would use this along with something like simBrief. Are these two tools supposed to do the same things, or is simBrief more for calculating alternates, finding NOTAM's, etc, while this tools is just for performance calculations? I ask because I seem to be getting different values for the weights from simBrief and this tool. Maybe I am just doing something wrong? Is it safe to assume that this tool is more accurate than simBrief in terms of performance and weight calculations (as in, simBrief is more for flight planning and briefing weather, etc)?

Edit: disregard. I have just found this video by Kyle which explains what I had assumed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhZuuUNwx7k.

Alfredo Terrero

I guess, but airlines do not know the passenger load weight or total baggage weight (only hold baggage is weighed).  Presumeably they use some sort of algorithm based on average passenger weights and cabin baggage. Not exactly 'accurate' in my book. 

Does it matter?  Seemingly not. 

Hi John,

It's not a real algorithm. It's just a factor. A standard weight per passenger. Some airlines use one number. Some airlines use another. Some airlines uses different standard weights based on the type of flight, the season, route specific statistics and so on. That's why you can enter the standard weight you would like to use in the sheet.

In a small aircraft the weight of each passenger is actually quite important to the weight/balance calculations. But when you have 100+ passengers, a statistically supported average weight is pretty accurate (but of course not actual). The seating of the passengers and their weight is of great importance. An empty 738 is about 40.000kg. The weight 189 passengers is more than a third of that. So of course it matters. A lot!

Anyway: Every time you load a passenger on the NGX it creates 79.3kg more payload. That's not a statistic but a fact. Therefore you can use this as your standard weight when using the NGX.

But the NGX places the PAX randomly (a fact that I didn't know at the time of the 5 months old post you refer to), that's what makes it so hard to predict the center of gravity that the NGX will produce when you load the aircraft.

Regards

Edit: disregard. I have just found this video by Kyle which explains what I had assumed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhZuuUNwx7k.

Sorry to disregard your "disregard" ^_^

I haven't tried SimBrief yet, so I can't really comment on that. But Kyle is quite right in his video. Software should be used for their purpose. The 737 dispatch sheet can only crunch numbers. It can't obtain weather information, It can't present oceanic tracks, it can't find routes, and so on...

But once you have the route and weather data from a route planning tool, you can use the sheet to get some pretty well calculated (not estimated) fuel consumption numbers. In addition you will also get landing and takeoff performance calculations based on the calculated weights and selected configurations. Until a few days ago there was no tool available (maybe except from the PMDG NGX FMC itself) that could do the fuel and performance calculations as precise as this sheet.

I usually plan my routes with Vroute. I then find route weather information via FS global Real Weather (earlier it was Active Sky). Then I would have liked to have a program, that could make reliable fuel calculations based on those data. Those I tried either weren't reliable or you couldn't enter all relevant information such as weight, flight level, costindex and so on. So I made my own Excel sheet. And as TOPCAT newer allowed me to fly in to SBRJ with a 58.000kg heavy 737-800sfp, I also needed an alternative to the TOPCAT takeoff and landing performance calculations. Then I put that function into the sheet as well (I really enjoy landing and takeoffs at SBRJ).

Then, at some point of time, I thought I would share the sheet with the FS community, as I guessed that if I needed a fuel/performance calculator like that, others might find use for it as well.

Now PFPX is out. It's about $50. For that price I'm sure you will get much more precise calculations as well as it will cover three of my demands (route/weather/fuel) in one package. And it isn't limited the Boeing 737NG's. I remember 2 years ago, when I first heard of PFPX. I checked their website every day to see if we it was close to release. Then it was delayed. Then it was again postponed. Then the announced (around) Christmas release was cancelled. Unlike many others I wasn't angry with the developer. Good software needs a lot of time (Any PMDG fan knows that). I just couldn't cope with the excitement anymore, so I made my own alternative: The 737 Dispatch sheet.

And after so long time, where I was ready 24/7 to push the purchase button at the moment of PFPX release, I haven't bought it yet. I still want it, but my alternatives are good. I have already paid for the weather and the route planning software. My sheet is free, and it works well. At the moment I can't justify using money that I could have spend on toys for my kids on toys for me.... Well I'm sorry. I'm having a moment of insanity. I'm sure it will be over in a couple of days. Of course I'll buy PFPX... and the PMDG 777, and the FS2Crew for the PMDG 777 when it's out, and, and, and....

..."Kids! Santa is dead. There will be no Christmas this year (like there wasn't for me last year thanks to PFPX not being released!).. No, don't cry! Watch daddy fly! The NGX is like Santa's sleigh - only it carries no presents. It is the present!....  I said STOP CRYING!!!..."  

Cheers, and thanks for your feedback!

Sorry to disregard your "disregard" ^_^

Thanks for the answer; that was exactly the type of answer I was in need of. Again, thanks for this amazing yet free tool.

Edit: This is the response I received on the simBrief forums, which shows one would use both of these amazing tools in a complimentary fashion

Hi there,

You're correct in assuming that these tools are more complimentary than anything else. That spreadsheet looks like a great tool for 737 NG pilots. It is no doubt more accurate and in-depth than SimBrief when it comes to planning your passenger/cargo load and takeoff/landing performance figures, whereas SimBrief will be more accurate when it comes to fuel planning and determining the time enroute as it accounts for real world winds, etc.

My recommendation as to your flight planning process would be the following: 

1) Enter your initial flight data (departure, arrival, passenger count, etc) into the Excel spreadsheet in order to obtain your resulting Zero Fuel Weight. 

2) Load SimBrief and enter your flight information, for the ZFW option make sure to select the Zero Fuel Weight that you came up with in the spreadsheet in order for the fuel burns to be correct.

3) Enter the Block Fuel that SimBrief calculates back into your Excel sheet. This will ensure the final Takeoff Weight and associated performance figures (V1,Vr,V2, etc) are calculated correctly.

You will notice that the Trip Fuel SimBrief comes up with will no doubt be higher than the Trip Fuel the tool comes up with. This is to be expected for several reasons, such as the fuel padding SimBrief adds for things such as taking off on a runway opposite the direction of flight, landing on a runway opposite the direction of flight, and so on.

Finally, please note that SimBrief does NOT have an accurate Cost Index database. The CI that gets displayed is mostly for show at the moment, whereas that Excel sheet seems to have a much more accurate CI calculator. SimBrief always plans 737 NG flights at Mach 0.78, so I recommend inputting a Cost Index which results in M.78 into Excel and using that number when programming your FMC to ensure your speed matches that of the SimBrief flight plan.

Hope that helps, please let me know if you have any other questions!

Alfredo Terrero

Thanks for the answer; that was exactly the type of answer I was in need of. Again, thanks for this amazing yet free tool.

I can recommend my tool. It has proved to be accurate to me and to others who have send me feedback. My sheet also takes weather in to consideration, you just need to obtain the data from somewhere else. I can't really comment on simbrief s I haven't tried it.

On the other hand I think that I would also recommend PFPX without having tried it yet. It'll cost you some money, but it will combine nearly all of your flight planning needs in one package. And I'm sure the fuel calculations are as close to actual consumption as possible. Also PFPX will take all route information in to account. My sheet will assume climb and descent to be uninterrupted. PFPX uses all route information including restricted altitudes. Thus it will be more accurate. If SimBrief does the same it too will be more accurate. But in my experience the Boeing 737 dispatch sheet is mostly within 2-3 percent of actual fuel consumption and time is rarely off by more than a minute.

Regards

I have now tried SimBrief.

It's very good indeed. I guess the differences in time and fuel between the two tools are because of the missing CI calculations in the SimBrief calculations. It has been impossible for me to find accurate documentation on CI calculations, so I came up with my own algorithm, and it looks like it works okay.

Cheers

Lasse