Sign in to follow this  
Sexair

Corrupted scenery cfg.? Black squares

Nightmare. I got the dreaded blue screen of death whilst installing an ORBX library update. When I rebooted my machine it said something about my scenery file was corrupted or something similar.

Now all my scenery appears with black flat vertical squares all over the place. :attached pic below

The thought of a fresh install of my 150GB worth of scenery is too much to bear. (Which is why I just walked away from my machine for 2 months)

But now I'm back and would love a solution if anyone has one.

Otherwise its 20 hours of hell. 

Is there any diagnostics I can do on the scenery.cfg file to see where it may have become corrupted I wonder? 

One thing you can do is start up FSX and open up the Scenery Library and untick (disable) all add on scenery.  Then run FSX and see if the problem disappears.  You can then reenable 3-4 addons at a time until the boxes reappear.  If the problem does not disappear after disabling all scenery addons, then this could be caused by thescenery trigger I recommended in the CTD forum to troubleshoot missing textures.  One of the triggers you can enable is:

// Render Trigger areas as visible boxes
ShowTriggers=1 (change to 0 if you want to disable)

This line would be shown in the [scenery] section of your FSX.cfg and visible boxes would show up where textures are missing.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I got the dreaded blue screen of death whilst installing an ORBX

Is your PC overclocked? Is yes you may want to lower your clock speed. I have been trying to tweak my i7 2700K to 4.8ghz lately and I get plenty of these.

Thanks Jim. I'm going to try that. Anything but a fresh install! I'll let you know how it goes...

And to Anthony yes my PC is overclocked but its been working fine for a year until I it crashed during a scenery update. Then i got a message saying there were files missing in scenery.cfg or something.

Unfortunately the disable all scenery still left me with the same problem even with everything unchecked

I went into my fsx.cfg file as this is all I have in my scenery section (see below) no showtrigger line.

I tried to add it, save and then boot up FSX but no difference I'm afraid

[sCENERY]

DAWN_DUSK_SMOOTHING=1

IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=5

LENSFLARE=1

MAX_ASYNC_BATCHING_JOBS=3

SmallPartRejectRadius=4.0

Unfortunately the disable all scenery still left me with the same problem even with everything unchecked

I went into my fsx.cfg file as this is all I have in my scenery section (see below) no showtrigger line.
I tried to add it, save and then boot up FSX but no difference I'm afraid

[sCENERY]
DAWN_DUSK_SMOOTHING=1
IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=5
LENSFLARE=1
MAX_ASYNC_BATCHING_JOBS=3
SmallPartRejectRadius=4.0

I'm not sure about this problem, but i'd like to see your fsx.cfg. That black squares are just for a second - two or permanently there? 

I don't know if i can help, but i can give you one good advice: When you get stable fsx with all addons - make a backup. I recommend Acronis 2011 for that. 

BSOD's indicate a serious hardware problem.  You should download and run BlueScreenView and provide us with the bug check string such as Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and the STOP code.

There is also a nice freeware program on the Internet that will check your scenery.cfg for errors and fix them - SceneryConfigEditor v1.1.1 (Google it).  It will not fix missing textures though.

Best regards,

Jim 

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

The showtriggers entry will not be there by default, you will have to add it.

Don't bother doing that though, it will not help you with your missing tree textures.

That entry will give you a visual representation of fuel boxes and thermals.

What you want to add in the [scenery] section is...

showmissingtexturealert=1

This will give you the name of the missing tree texture.

Missing textures are not indicative of a scenery.cfg error. If the trees show up, the object library is being found.

BSOD, scenery.cfg error, missing textures are 3 unrelated issues.

I would try reinstalling the object library and if you get the same error, note exactly what it says and post it.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

I would try reinstalling the object library and if you get the same error, note exactly what it says and post it.

Hi Joe,

I'm trying to decipher your post.  Are you responding to the OP or to my post #2?  The matter with the missing textures has been resolved.  He does not have those entries in his FSX.cfg and does not want to place them in there.  The triggers are not the items that are causing the boxes to display as shown in OP.  Something else is causing the problem. 

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Hi Joe,

I'm trying to decipher your post.  Are you responding to the OP or to my post #2?  The matter with the missing textures has been resolved.  He does not have those entries in his FSX.cfg and does not want to place them in there.  The triggers are not the items that are causing the boxes to display as shown in OP.  Something else is causing the problem. 

Best regards,

Jim

I am responding to both.

If the matter of missing textures has been resolved it is not stated anywhere in this thread.

If it was fixed behind the scenes, maybe that info should be posted here so others can see it.

I can't understand your post, Jim.

First you say the "The matter with the missing textures has been resolved", then you say "Something else is causing the problem" yet don't bother to tell us what fixed it, or is it fixed?

You started the discussion about triggers, I was simply pointing out that your tip to add that line is of no use in finding missing textures.

If "The triggers are not the items that are causing the boxes to display as shown in OP" then why tell someone to add the showtriggers line to the fsx.cfg?

It looks like the OP is missing tree textures and showtriggers has nothing to do with trees, so why add that line to the fsx.cfg?

regards,

Joe

sigbar.gif

I can't understand your post, Jim.
First you say the "The matter with the missing textures has been resolved", then you say "Something else is causing the problem" yet don't bother to tell us what fixed it, or is it fixed?

This is getting very confusing.  Read the OP. There is nothing in the OP about missing textures.  The OP is wondering why he has those black boxes in his scenery and is thinking a scenery file is corrupted.  When I looked at the picture, I saw those black squares and remember seeing them with the scenery trigger that shows visible boxes.  The OP came back and said he did not have this trigger installed.  I then told him to disable all of his addon scenery by going into the Scenery Library and unticking the boxes.  Then he should restart FSX and see if the problem disappears.  If the boxes disappear, I recommend he reenable the scenery 3-4 at a time until the bad scenery was found.  He came back and stated he disabled all of the addon scenery and the boxes are still there.  Then you posted and said "the showtriggers entry will not be there by default, you will have to add it."  I just wanted to be sure the trigger that shows visible boxes was not in his FSX.cfg.  I did not want him to add it or put more triggers in his config.

So now, we are back to square one as he still has missing objects or textures.  He is getting scenery.cfg errors and I recommended a fix in Post#10.  Perhaps that will fix the problem.

Thanks anyway Joe for your attempt to help.  I apologize if I created any confusion.  I'm just trying to keep this thread uncluttered from extraneous information.  Written communications are sometimes difficult.

Best regards,
Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Is your PC overclocked? Is yes you may want to lower your clock speed. I have been trying to tweak my i7 2700K to 4.8ghz lately and I get plenty of these.

Did anyone pay attention to this post?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

This is getting very confusing.  Read the OP. There is nothing in the OP about missing textures.

Except a screenshot showing trees that are missing textures.

The OP is wondering why he has those black boxes in his scenery and is thinking a scenery file is corrupted. When I looked at the picture, I saw those black squares and remember seeing them with the scenery trigger that shows visible boxes.

They look nothing like the boxes that are seen when you have the showtriggers set to true.

Then you posted and said "the showtriggers entry will not be there by default, you will have to add it." I just wanted to be sure the trigger that shows visible boxes was not in his FSX.cfg. I did not want him to add it or put more triggers in his config.

Sorry, guess I misunderstood you when you said...

"One of the triggers you can enable is:

// Render Trigger areas as visible boxes

ShowTriggers=1 (change to 0 if you want to disable)

This line would be shown in the [scenery] section of your FSX.cfg and visible boxes would show up where textures are missing."

sigbar.gif

Aaah screw it. I'm probably going for a fresh install except this time I'm going to back up.

Never again!

p.s Theres no doubt the occasional BSOD is due to the overclock, but the issue now was caused bt it crashing in the middle of an ORBX scenery library update. It corrupted the terrain file (not the scenery file) sorry. 

I know this as fsx told me so. In whatever phrase it used at the time.

(I wish i'd made a copy)

;(

Thanks for your help anyway guys. Dont make the same mistake as me.