Hey everyone!

So I have an aircraft whose strobe lights as well as beacon lights I absolutely LOVE - i.e. I want the same strobes on all of my other aircraft. Is there a way to "copy" these lights (lights themselves as well as strobe/flash pattern/frequency) to other aircraft? Well I know there is a way, actually, but what I am asking is HOW this is done?

While we are at it, if this is done correctly, I'd like to be able to modify the beacon flash rate - where is this done? I say this because the beacon flash frequency on this aircraft is very similar to a strobe: four fast flashes with pauses in between. I'd like to see a single or double flash with a pause if possible.

Also, the same aircraft happens to have ground light reflection effects (the strobe lights flashing at night show up on the ground - the beacon on the bottom of the aircraft does the same thing). Is this tied into the aircraft model itself or is this something I can transfer to other aircraft as well?

And on top of all that, is there a quick way to copy this aircraft's landing lights over to others?

I guess it's kind of obvious that I love this bird's lighting system  ^_^

Many thanks for any help!

I don't know the answer to your questions, but you would be more likely to get a useful answer if you tell us the sim you are flying and the specific aircraft you like.

Just open aircraft.cfg and look at "lights" section. Copy name of effect you like and paste it to other aircraft cfg file.

Thats what I was looking at - while this puts me in the right direction, could I get more detail as to what parts of that section control what aspects of the light? For example:

[LIGHTS]
//Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing
light.0 =  4,  -1.9, 0.0, 1.9, fx_vclightalawc

How do I work with this to modify the flash pattern if I wanted to? Does this determine the location of the light as well or is the location of the lights determined elsewhere?

Just tried it - did not have any effect on strobes or beacons of other aircraft ("//"-ed out the aircraft's Lights section and copy/pasted the Waco's in - lights stayed the same).

Maybe it's under some other section like smokes or something like that. Different developers use different methods. So the main thing is to locate right effect name (fx_abcdefg for example) and to transfer it to other's aircraft correct place. The numbers are just coordinates, do not touch that unless you want to move light position. 

Frequency of flashing is set IN the .fx file(s) themselves, which are nothing more nor less than simple ASCII text files with an .fx extension.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator