Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ahsmatt7

stutters after defrag

I did a defrag with Ultimatedefrag yesterday on my C and D drive. Megasceneryearth is on my C drive while FSX is on my D drive. I set my MSE files as high perf on my C drive and FSX as high perf on my D drive. I now have stutters that I have not had in who knows how long. What could have casued it.

Anything I can do to recify the problem. On a good note. MY MSE blurries have gotten a lot better.

Ultimate defrag is crap hosed my computer never use it again - get an SSD drive problems all gone just do it

Here is a great tutorial on O&O defrag by NickN.  I have used it in the past and it worked like a charm.  I have also used Ultimate Defrag but I only used the "defragmented files" option only.

O&O Defrag v12

http://www.oo-software.com/en/download/archive/index.html?product=OOD12PRO you dont have to give your real name, email.. just make up a name and email address   LOL   uncheck the "subscribe" box

You can purchase it at anytime but you have 30 days to use it after it is installed. You must make SURE you download the 64bit version for a 64bit OS and it MUST be set up correctly before using it! 

First, you must make sure you have done all the OS TUNING before running O&O making sure HYBERNATE and SYSTEM RESTORE are disabled, you have FLUSHED all the temp files and you have optimized the prefetch

Some have asked why do the defrag process.. if you want a short and sweet answer, read this:  http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=34799&PID=202329#202329

then move on....

When you first run O&O defrag and have not purchased it, use it in the 30 day trial mode, otherwise input your purchase code.

When O&O first starts wizards and tips will appear..   check to NOT SHOW at start and cancel the box

The first time you are in the main interface you need to DISABLED the following on ALL drives

1. Click the first drive in the list to select it

2. In the TOP GUI, click DISABLE MONITORING and DISABLE ZONES

3. REPEAT those steps for each drive shown, you must select the next drive and DISABLE Monitoring and ZONES

Once all drives have had monitoring and ZONES disabled.... 

Next, click SETTINGS

There are 3 tabs

GENERAL 
- UNCHECK Create reports
- UNCHECK Show O&O Defrag in the tray

OFFLINE DEFRAGMENTATION

Leave these alone for now, we will come back to this

TUNING

Bullet in

USE ALL AVAILABLE RESOURCES

SEQUENTIAL

CHECK IN - Take into account systems layout rules, USE LAYOUT.INI

UNCHECK battery mode, IF this is not a laptop

Click OK and close the box. You can now also close O&O defrag

FIRST THING WE DO after a fill install is a DSKCHECK on all drives to verify the tables are in fact not corrupt or have glitches in them. 

We ALSO DISABLE any INDEXING that is enabled per drive (may not appear in Windows 7)

Open MY COMPUTER, the Hard disk list will appear. Right click each disk and perform the following tasks

1. Select properties

2. At the bottom of the GENERAL tab, if the item ALLOW INDEXING SERVICE TO INDEX THIS DISK is checked, then UNCHECK it and on the next screen opt to APPLY CHANGES TO SUBFOLDERS AND FILES, click OK

The process may HALT because of a locked file, if it does select IGNORE ALL and allow it to continue, 

once complete 

3. click the TOOLS TAB

4. Select ERROR CHECKING, then CHECK NOW

5. Place a check in AUTOMATICALLY FIX THE SYSTEM ERRORS but leave SCAN FOR BAD SECTORS UNCHECKED

6. Click Start. 

If the drive is a OS or other locked drive you will get a message that asks for a check on the next reboot, select YES to allow that. If the drive is not locked by Windows it will perform the disk check, let it complete and if it finds errors, RERUN the disk check AGAIN. Once no errors are found, continue to the next drive and REPEAT for each. ONLY do ONE drive at a time, do not attempt to do simultaneous drive checks.

NOTE: Any offline disk check will automatically re-run if errors are found. You do not need to repeat offline disk checks.

7. Once you have gone through all the drives in Windows, REBOOT and allow the offline diskchecks to complete. The system will reboot back into Windows once finished and you are ready for the next steps in defrag.

Open O&O defrag, click the OS drive in the list

Right click and select SPACE 

DO NOT TOUCH THE COMPUTER FOR ANY REASON WHILE ANY O&O DEFRAG IS RUNNING.. NO EMAIL, NO SURFING, NO FILE MOVES, NOTHING!  IF YOU DO IT WILL NOT OPTIMIZE CORRECTLY

Once that is complete, close O&O, reboot and then start O&O defrag and select the FSX Drive, right click and select SPACE  

Once complete, open the O&O SETTINGS - OFFLINE DEFRAGMENTATION TAB

Select EXECUTE ONCE ON NEXT SYSTEM STARTUP, then

Select your OS drive, click ENABLE

Select you FSX drive, click ENABLE

Click APPLY and OK to close the box and reboot the computer

The Offline defrag will run on reboot, once complete it will return to Windows

Once back in Windows Open O&O defrag, select your OS drive, right click and select COMPLETE\NAME

DO NOT TOUCH THE COMPUTER FOR ANY REASON WHILE ANY O&O DEFRAG IS RUNNING.. NO EMAIL, NO SURFING, NO FILE MOVES, NOTHING!  IF YOU DO IT WILL NOT OPTIMIZE CORRECTLY

Once complete, reboot and Start O&O defrag, select the OS DRIVE AGAIN drive, right click select COMPLETE\NAME, reboot when complete

FSX DRIVE

Start O&O defrag, select the FSX drive, right click select COMPLETE\NAME

Once complete, reboot and Start O&O defrag, select the FSX DRIVE AGAIN drive, right click select COMPLETE\NAME

When all drives are done, go into the SETTINGS for O&O DEFRAG and ENABLE THE OFFLINE DEFRAG ON ALL DRIVES FOR ONE TIME, REBOOT AND RUN THEM

This operation may take several hours to finish and please DO remember this, with any defrag solution a system is NOT DEFRAGMENTED completely in ONE PASS REGARDLESS OF WHAT THE GUI SHOWS, it REQUIRES 3 passes to do it right ON A NEW INSTALL!

Summary:

Normally, on a new install with all new software and everything installed

DISK CHECK ON ALL DRIVES

SPACE defrag on each drive with a reboot between

OFFLINE defrag on ALL drives

COMPLETE\NAME on each drive with a reboot between

and then REPEAT IT:  COMPLETE\NAME on each drive with a reboot between

and last, OFFLINE defrag on ALL drives

NOTE: I am only listing the OS drive and the FSX drive right now, however you can later do this same process to your other drives which will make them far more efficient to the system. Simply repeat all the steps I posted on the drives you did not do BUT REMEMBER, in a DUAL BOOT situation you only need to do drives outside of you OS with ONE OS or ANOTHER you do NOT NEED TO REPEAT!