Sign in to follow this  
Beardyman

Sweet fx

Hmm... strange. I was digging around the rex forum and other things and found a post where someone claimed his post dx10 issues were fixed after installing rex. Tbh, it does make some sense because why would rex release with dx10 features if dx10 mode is broken? I'm just trying to think logically here. In another thought, I didn't see dx10 fix from the rex guys so maybe they are counting on Steve's fixes after all.

Here's the appcrash details. I get to play 5 minutes before it crashes.. this time I didn't use sfx configurator at all so it's definitely not the problem. What about the dx10 dll I mentioned? I don't have it in my fsx folder. Just d3d9.dll.

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
  Application Name:	fsx.exe
  Application Version:	10.0.61637.0
  Application Timestamp:	46fadb14
  Fault Module Name:	d3d11.dll
  Fault Module Version:	6.2.9200.16492
  Fault Module Timestamp:	50f31443
  Exception Code:	c0000005
  Exception Offset:	00092e44
  OS Version:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
  Locale ID:	1033

Additional information about the problem:
  LCID:	1033

Read our privacy statement online:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
  C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

We posted at the same time, adi - re-read my previous post.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Yep re-read it. I'm almost sure this is a problem with sweetfx dx10 compatibility. I highly doubt it's nv drivers.

It's possible, though I wasn't using the 1.4 version, only the 1.3.7, and had no issues with that one at all. I think lots of others would be reporting it, to, as there are lots of DX10-ers out there now.

Anyway - I'm back at 314.07 with Inspector 1971. Fingers crossed, too!

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Hmm... so you had the same crash with even the older sfx? I'm using nv's latest driver btw, it's 320.0. Had the same issue before this version so again, I highly doubt it's the drivers. Also think about this.. if dx10 crashed like this Steve would've pointed that out long ago. It's got to be SFX's fault. Did you ever had a time where you didn't experience any crashes? Anyway... I'm gonna send out an email to sfx author with that appcrash info and see if he has any clues.

@@Paul J

Btw, why is it necessary to turn on AA in FSX for DX10? I left it off, and turned AA in Inspector and it works just as well, aside for the preview pane which looks a little jaggy.

" It's got to be SFX's fault."    :lol:   :lol: 

I suppose it could be, may well be, but you will feel really bad if it turns out to be something else!! I looked at SFX on YouTube, and yes - exerting any external control over FSX, especially when using a "development version" of DX10, could well cause a crash... whether a DX-11 crash, though..... Best to be as close to a basic operating system, a basic FSX, with the settings used by most other guys.

One thing I didn't try yet is running without sfx, that means reverting to the original d3d9.dll. If that doesn't crash then it's even more probable that it's SFX's fault. I use the common stuff, nothing out of the ordinary really.

@@Paul J

Btw, why is it necessary to turn On AA in FSX settings for DX10? I left it off and applied AA via Inspector only and it works. Aside for the preview pane which looks a bit jagged. In-game though it's good.

Paul - thanks for guide and support.

Somehow my partnership with "sweet fx" is not sweet.

Effects i am getting are not good, i cannot find settings suitable for me.

I remember DX9 and ENB, that was good.

For me ENB was way better than "Sweet FX".

Anyhow will still try....

Artur 

You are not using the d3d9.dll, adi. 

DX10 uses the d3d10.dll. It stands for DirectX3D, version 9, 10 or 11. 

FSX is coded for DX9, with some limited usage of DX10 - most components of DX10 working now, but still partially inhibited by unfinished or erroneous FSX-DX10 core programming. 

Nope - Inspector's AA does not work in FSX - only pieces of it. AA is created inside FSX. MultiSampling does have some effect, as does SparseGridSuperSampling 

You need to add these two lines into the fsx.cfg [Graphics] section :- 

MultiSamplesPerPixel=4      // Must have for good AA. Using 8 is a huge performance killer for a very small improvement. This setting should match the setting in NI, as FSX will adhere to the lower value. 

MultiSampleQuality=4 <span> </span>   //  Can be 4 for better performance. Can use up to 32x AA 

The jaggies in the spinning aircraft scenes can be cured by using (if I remember correctly) either FXAA from NI, but it softens/blurs the rest of the FSX graphics once it starts.  

If you want the least aggravation, adi, and the best experience from FSX using DX10 in the shortest time, I would strongly suggest you configure your pc and the sim, by reading and following the recommendations in the pinned "How-To" doc or pdf at the top of the Forum. A lot of folks here, including Steve, have put a lot of effort into creating this step-by-step guide, so that you will not have to go through a guessing game, trying this, trying that, (and also listening to twenty different opinions from people who may not have even ticked that little box) and then coming to the forum to ask questions which are already answered in the Guides. We have spent hour after hour after hour, testing hundreds of combinations of settings, some of which are better than others in some circumstances, but they are there, ready made for you. OK?   :smile:

All the Best, 

You are great Paul. Very informative.

I gotta say though. I've dug the net in and out and made myself a nice cfg. I'm getting both great fps and eye candy. No real complaints here. I just figured it's time to tackle dx10 after feeling my dx9 setup is pretty much complete. Only thing bothering me now are those strange ctds. Btw, check my flickr for some awesome shots. I'm also working on new ui gfx (see screenshot forum).

Hi Bernie:

1). Just the groundwork first: You should have a SweetFX folder directly in the FSX root folder, then four .dll files and one ini file also directly under the FSX root folder. Here's how they should look:

2). Did you run FSX BEFORE installing Steve's patch?

3). Did you run FSX after installing the patch, and was it successfull?

4). Have you tried removing (or re-naming) the SweetFX injector and the four .dlls?

5). Last - VC_Redist 2010 is required for SweetFX. If you don't have it - you can get it here and here. I suggest installing both.

I'll be out for much of the day today, so if anyone else wants to jump in to help Bernie - please - feel free.

Hope this helps, Bernie.

All the Best,

2:  Yes, FSX working perfectly before Steve's patch

3:  Yes, FSX working perfectly after Steve's patch

4:  Manually removed all of SFX's files, re-installed Steve's patch just to be on the safe side

5:  Will download those & try again

Thanks for the help!  

:lol:

I was hoping to see:-

2:  NO, FSX - DX10 was not working before Steve's patch.

3:  Yes, FSX - DX10 is working perfectly after Steve's patch.

Keep in touch,

Hmm... Paul in the how-to guide it says this:

[BUFFERPOOLS]
BufferPools=1
PoolSize=10485760
RejectThreshold=524288

It's not suppose to be like this ?

[BUFFERPOOLS]
UsePools=1
PoolSize=10485760
RejectThreshold=524288

Nope:either will work, adi.

UsePools=1 and BufferPools=1 both tell the system to use shared buffers, and this has nothing to do (directly) with your setting up DX10.

Whether to use shared buffers or dedicated buffers depends upon the ability of the system processor to supply data to the graphics card. If the card can handle everything that the proc can send - then the BP=0 (dedicated buffers) can be used, with good performance. If the proc is, say at 4.9 GHz and is feeding a 560Ti, (or lower) then one would need BP=1 and a Reject Threshold. The Reject Threshold size will be found by dozens of flights - exactly the same flight, over and over, until the highest framerate is achieved.

I see.

I'm currently on an 2500k that isn't oc'd. I'm also not sure if it uses it's turbo mode when I boot fsx. My card is an evga 670 ftw, but it's not a regular 670 at all. It's a version that has a 680 pcb and is within 5 fps less powerful than an evga stock 680 so it's a very capable card (easily overtakes a stock 680 with a little overclock). I used BP=0 until now and didn't have any issues, so I guess I should stick to that? I'm also using a crucial M4 ssd which has my 50 gig fsx install on it. Would like to hear your opinion ofc. Thanks. :)