Hi Simmers,

I currently have a Phenom II X6 1045T that cannot be overclocked because of my weak mobo. I want to upgrade this PC so it is dedicated to flight sim. Yes I know its best that i get a i5 or i7 K processor, but i simply cannot afford that due to shipping cost from America to here I live. So which should I get? Budget at absolute peak for CPU and Mobo is $210US

AMD FX6300 + Mobo = $201US

Intel i3 3220 + Mobo = $185 US

Any opinions ?????

I only want fsx to run PMDG's, REX, and GEX smoothly enough. I will NOT be using any payware airports or scenery and will be using WOAI traffic. I also dont plan maxing out the sliders. The only one that will be maxed are LOD. The rest will be middle to middle-high 

Thanks

Jonathon James

I would do the i3 route, only because fsx runs best on intel chips over amd. Make sure to get an H77 motherboard over a Z77 mobo.

Make sure to get an H77 motherboard over a Z77 mobo.

The H77 is a reduced version of the Z77 chip. No overclock support for starters. It may be cheaper, but it's for a reason.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

The H77 is a reduced version of the Z77 chip. No overclock support for starters. It may be cheaper, but it's for a reason.

It is cheaper because it cannot overclock, not due to a lack of quality. It saves money, that can be put into other things. There is no reason to get a board that can overclock, for a processor that cannot.

Go with AMD fx6300 as more cores will be helpful in the future with other programs besides fsx. Xplane will like those extra cores long term than fsx. I3 is dual core with better single thread speec but most people use their desktops for other things besides fsx.

2600k just because it overclocks so damn easy and does not get hot, I've run mine on 4.5ghz the last two years (with a massive aircooler), but it does the job very well.

OK thanks guys, I was thinking of getting the FX6300 but I heard FSX is a single threaded application and needs 1 strong fast core, And I don't think ill ever use X-Plane. I dont do any video editing except for the odd fsx video now and again and this PC would be mostly for FSX, doing work on Microsoft Office, playing a few other games like Fifa or Dirt. How does ur FX6300 run, and what to expect with a PMDG aircraft in a default airport?

Jonathon James