Sign in to follow this  
SirStiggie

Crash to Disk - Only in DX10 Preview

47 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

Who would be flying in DX10 Mode with the 2D Panel?  In addition, I was told by people like Word Not Allowed, a former member here and supposedly a computer guru, that it takes 19 times of opening the menu in the VC.  As I recall, he was never able to replicate it too.

So without the compatible dll I tried your Word Not Allowed test Jim and even after going beyond 25 I did not get a CTD. Next I tried my test and got the CTD in under 30 seconds. So under these circumstances I am confident in my description of the issue.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

By the way we've digressed; in the discussion the error was reported as belonging to DX11 on an FSX system after installing an app, it probably configured for P3D somehow, and uninstalling fixed the problem. Even so bringing UiAutomationcore.dll into the discussion was in a way reasonable since it's a common factor in FSX problems and not very well understood it seems.

1 hour ago, SteveW said:

in the discussion the error was reported as belonging to DX11 on an FSX system after installing an app

Exactly what I stated in my comments above several times.  The uiautomationcore.dll error was only telling you one of the apps was incompatible.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

None the less, my account of it stands up to repeatable tests and Dovetail are correct.

I do not own FSX-SE.  Thinking about getting it but if it has the uiautomationcore.dll placebo, I'll pass.  Still would like to know why Lockheed Martin fixed the code so uiautomationcore.dll is not allowed in main folder.  P3D is FSX too.

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Well, its a shame you had to say that about the perfectly good FSX:SE Jim. Understanding the UiAutomationcore FSX problem doesn't need P3D mentioned since P3D is quite different to FSX in that regard.

...I've been repeating the tests with DX9 same results, the internet guru test you mentioned with the 19 menu clicks still doesn't work, unless you're hovering over tooltip area rectangles where the menu item lays, so you could get fooled by that I suspect. It's certainly not a Placebo Jim.

2 hours ago, Jim Young said:

Still would like to know why Lockheed Martin fixed the code so uiautomationcore.dll is not allowed in main folder.  P3D is FSX too.

The UiAutomationcore.dll issue only affects versions of FSX when in windowed view, P3D is unaffected. P3D is a native desktop app that only utilises desktop windows containing D3D11 viewports. In fullscreen P3D is a screen sized window with no caption and border, not games fullscreen. On the other hand FSX is a native fullscreen exclusive mode D3D9 app that is able to display within the desktop windows.

On 4/26/2017 at 7:00 PM, SteveW said:

The UiAutomationcore.dll issue only affects versions of FSX when in windowed view, P3D is unaffected. P3D is a native desktop app that only utilises desktop windows containing D3D11 viewports. In fullscreen P3D is a screen sized window with no caption and border, not games fullscreen. On the other hand FSX is a native fullscreen exclusive mode D3D9 app that is able to display within the desktop windows.

Hi Steve,

Just an admission you were right about placing the older version of the uiautomationcore.dll into the main folder of FSX but for Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 users only.  I was never having an issue with the uiautomationcore.dll not being in my main fsx folder in Windows 7 but it looks like you were right and it is broken in Windows 10 as I recently got a uiautomationcore.dll error showing the Windows 10 version was the faulting module.  Placed the old version (16386) in like you suggested and so far no more uiautomationcore.dll errors.  So my apologies for the argument above.  I didn't know there was an incompatibility with Windows 8 and 10. 

Best regards,

Jim

• Upvote 1

Submit News to AVSIM

Yes Jim,

I appreciate that. Does it on my Win7 test rig too - same problem. It's because some of the WinXP/Vista code changed as parts of the UiAutomationcore.dll from back then were deprecated.

Check if the simulator runs in DX10 preview works first, ignoring any graphics glitches. 

On 4/26/2017 at 2:03 PM, SteveW said:

So without the compatible dll I tried your Word Not Allowed test Jim and even after going beyond 25 I did not get a CTD. Next I tried my test and got the CTD in under 30 seconds. So under these circumstances I am confident in my description of the issue.

LOL!  That's amazing you got the crash (at least 19 right clicks on the panel and opening the menu).  That's an amazing accomplishment that indicates to me thousands would have gotten this error long before the various versions were released.  Anytime you can replicate a crash, you have found a bug.  But, and a really big but, I have tried the test w/o the uiautomationcore.dll in my main fsx folder (Windows 7 only), and never got a crash.  Never could replicate it.  Many others have tried to replicate it too.  You are the only one that I know of who has replicated the CTD (and in 30 seconds).  

As I stated somewhere else, your fsx will crash if you have Windows 8 or Windows 10 installed and you do not have a version of the uiautomationcore.dll placed in the main fsx directory.  I have run fsx w/o the dll and it crashes 100% of the time.  If I add the uiautomationcore.dll the crashes stop.

Best regards,

Jim 

Submit News to AVSIM

9 hours ago, Jim Young said:

I have run fsx w/o the dll and it crashes 100% of the time.  If I add the uiautomationcore.dll the crashes stop.

Absolutely. As you recall I have made a huge effort and warned of this many times, the system uiautomationcore.dll is not fully compatible with FSX so we put the compatible dll into the FSX folder where it finds it first and so ignores the system dll - voila no crashes. That's why FSX:SE comes with it's own version located in the FSX:SE folder so it does the same thing - avoids loading the system version - which is ever so slightly incompatible. P3D is unaffected as I mentioned before also.