Sign in to follow this  
Jeff Nielsen

Cessna 310 and Flight1 anti-piracy

The following comes from Flight1's web site:* An additional level of security relies on your e-mail address. Your e-mail address is critical in that it acts as the official point of contact for you to receive information, and maintain your Key status. This is because unlike previous versions of the wrapper, the key will automatically become disabled after a certain amount of accesses. But this is no big deal as long as your e-mail address is valid, because you can reactivate your disabled key automatically via a link we will send to your e-mail account (after you use the automated key re-activation link at flight1.com) *Do I read this correctly - that every so often I will be required to revalidate the software before I can carry on flying the a/c? And what happens if I change my e-mail address, as I have done recently, I wonder?I'm totally against software piracy but if I do read this correctly then I think anti-piracy efforts are going too far and I certainly won't be buying from Flight1 any more. Pity, because I was really looking forward to the Cessna 152 this weekend.Hopefully, someone will prove that I have got the whole thing wrong.David

Hi David,I should hope that by 'access' they mean installing the software, rather than running it. In any case, Flight1 is very likely to release a CD version soon, and from my experience, they seem to have a very good distribution network - their add-ons are very easy to find in local shops here in Vancouver. Cheers,Gosta.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

It means installing it...One access = one install

Guest Aidi

I am sure that things like this have been taken into consideration. An email to Flight1 explaining your changing your ISP and thus your email address will meet with support and change of any details they have for your purchase. To enquire further, Flight1 have their own forums where a question like this would be answered definitively.Best RgdsAidihttp://www.vfr-flightcenter.com/avsim_sig.jpg

IIRC once when I had a problem with a "key" (with one of the very first products I purchased from F1) all they asked me for was my full name and the last four numbers of the CC I used to purchase it with, next thing I knew I had a new key.

David,I think you are not reading the way it works. You do not need to revalidate the software after it is installed. The system is really quite simple...You can install as many times as you like. After a while, you will need to revalidate your key (if you have reinstalled many times) and this is done through an automated system and it is all very easy.We also understand that users have different ISP's, so we can't block a key just because of a different IP address. A key may be blocked if it is obvious that a key was accessed in California, Australia, and Germany, when the purchase was made in Florida. We track that carefully, and of course can then take needed action.The reality is that we can spend months trying to win the piracy battle, but then that is months not developing products. We could make the system tougher, but that is really not worth it at this time. Theives will find ways to steal no matter what.What hurts us the most is the casual piracy that prevents real purchases from happening, and the resources that both the casual and hardcore pirate costs us when someone shares their key or other files. We have to PAY for the bandwidth for the downloads of the main files or updates (check bandwidth prices these days). So pirates really do not understand that not only are they getting the product without paying for it, but we are having to pay for their ability to steal. Kind of like the bank providing the getaway car for the robbery. The bank had to PAY for the car.So, we increased our security a little, but do not disrespect the honest customer to the point of wanting to drag them into the "mess". We just hope that enough customers remain honest so it does not make our job harder, thus forcing tougher restrictions.So try the system, and I will believe you will find it to be quite simple and easy to use.Thanks!

Yeah do not worry about Flight1's system at all - it's great, I've bought almost everything they've put out and have had no problems whatsoever.Ryan

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest Tim13

The sad thing about this is that as usual, the legitimate end user that buys the software is the one who ends up being inconvenienced. The people who pirate software will easily find a way to disable this "feature", and in the long run it will be the "file sharers" who will have less of a hassle using the add-ons.Tim13

>The sad thing about this is that as usual, the legitimate end>user that buys the software is the one who ends up being>inconvenienced.It took me 6 minutes to download the product and, maybe 2 minutes to install, pay for and register it, maybe 2 more minutes and I was on my way out of Meigs in my brand new 310.

Guest freequest

Yep i read it as well... and it really dosent concern me at all (they have to protect there investment in time and work).As for email address they would have in place a system for changeing your address .. myself i use Yahoo as it my only portable address i change ISP's a lot :)

>The sad thing about this is that as usual, the legitimate end>user that buys the software is the one who ends up being>inconvenienced. The people who pirate software will easily>find a way to disable this "feature", and in the long run it>will be the "file sharers" who will have less of a hassle>using the add-ons.>>Tim13What are you talking about? The Flight1 policy is simple and convienent. Is it so hard to send Flight1 an email stating that you are changing your email address?

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Guest bigun

Absolutely right! The Flight1 wrapper is no problem at all. Have a "bunch" of Flight1 stuff and never a problem with re-install. Other developers could take lessons on anti-piracy schemes from Flight1 and DF.George Stoddard

Guest JonP01

To me, this system sounds far more palatable than various other Norman Bates inspired systems that were under intense discussion last week.

Guest Ian Ritchie

Download: 2 hoursInstall: 2 minutesReinstall (if required): 2 minutes:)