Sign in to follow this  
cmpbellsjc

Couple Win7 64 questions on .NET Framework and Visual C++

After 10 years of using XP and the last 4 of using it  for FSX, I am going to be switching over to Win 7 64 when my new build is done. Having never used it before and not really knowing much about it aside from the few things I read around here regarding it and FSX, it leaves me with a few questions regarding the initial setup prior to or after FSX is installed.

Looking at this link in regards to installing the SDK http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=SDK_Installation_%28FSX%29#FSX_Acceleration_Pack_users  it mentions that you will need .Net 2.0 plus Visual C++, as well as the fact that as recommended in NickN's Win7 guide you need to install the 32bit version of vcredist_x86.exe, even if using the 64bit OS.

The few questions I have are.

1. Should I download and install the x86 or x64 versions of .Net Framework 2.0 since I will be using 64bit Windows and Nick recommends the 32bit version of vcredist, I wasn't sure about which .Net Version to use.

2. Should I also download and install .Net 3.0 and if so, the x86 or x64 version. I understand that Win7 comes with 3.5 already installed, but it is necessary to install the 32bit versions as well just for FSX or the SDK to work properly?

3. In regards to the UAC, I understand that it needs to be turned off right from the start, however if my machine one has one account, which I assume would be set up as the Admin account, does one still need to right click on every installer .exe for addon scenery, planes, etc. prior to install, or the FSX.exe everytime you run FSX, and select Run As Admin?

Thanks in advance for the help. Feel like having been on XP for so long I am really out of the loop when it comes to both Win7 and also a 64bit OS since there are now two versions of some of the essential MS software updates needed for the SDK and/or certain addons. Just want to make sure I get off to the right start when I begin my new setup and dont have to re-do a lot of stuff because I installed the wrong version of something or didn't right click and Run as Admin.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

If the win 7 was a clean install with no issues or problems during the install, then

1. Should be covered by the install.  Do only if you see issues.  I had no issues just with a default install.

2. Ditto and you should also get .NET 4.0 installed.  My SDK works OK without adding 32-bit options.  Try it and see.

3.  Set up an account as you say.  Turning  off UAC is OK but I still run everything with a "right click" run as admin.  You can set this for each exe see permissions etc below.  I guess old habits die hard and it doesn't do any harm. 

Learn everything you can about "security", "sharing" and "permissions" in Win 7 it can save a lot of grief later.

Remember not to install FSX in the default 'program files (x86)' folder but in its own folder preferably on a separate drive,

Regards

pH

Thanks for the info. On your last part about not installing to the default location, I will be putting it on its own 1TB drive and only running Win7 on the main :C drive. I'll take a look and see what i can find on the sharing, security and permissions stuff.

Thanks again.

1. Should I download and install the x86 or x64 versions of .Net Framework 2.0 since I will be using 64bit Windows and Nick recommends the 32bit version of vcredist, I wasn't sure about which .Net Version to use.

2. Should I also download and install .Net 3.0 and if so, the x86 or x64 version. I understand that Win7 comes with 3.5 already installed, but it is necessary to install the 32bit versions as well just for FSX or the SDK to work properly?

FSX is a 32 bit application so you only need the 32 bit versions of dotnet installed on your computer.  FSX and FSX addons will usually install the appropriate version if it does not see the correct version installed.  Windows 7, 64 bit will automatically install the latest (4.5 or 4.6) but those versions are not used by FSX at this time.  FSX requires versions 1.1 through 4.5 installed.  FSX and Acceleration will install version 1.1 and maybe 2.0.  Microsoft.net's are not backward compatible.  When a developer developed his/her product, they used a certain version of dotnet.  Dotnet runs an application in the way the developer intended including managing the memory.  You can look in your Windows\Microsoft.net\Framework (x86)\ to see all the various versions installed.  There's a tool on the Internet that will verify if they are properly installed and, if not, direct you to the site to download the corrected version (they are constantly updated - version 1 is updated constantly, version 2 is updated too once installed on your system).  Here's the link - http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx.  You can download and install the 64 bit versions too but they won't be used by FSX as FSX is a 32 bit application installed in a 64 bit environment.  There are many software programs and other games that are 64 bit.  If Microsoft sees this, you will receive updates through Windows Update.

Another requirement if the installation of Microsoft Visuals C++ 2005, 2008, and 2010.  Here's the latest for 2005 - http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=26347.  MSV 2005 was used to install FSX and Acceleration but FSX and Acceleration did not include the latest updates.  When FSX and FSX addons run, they look for a certain version of MS Visuals.  Here's the latest for 2008 - http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=26368.  And here's the latest 2010 version) - http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=26999.  Microsoft Visuals are not backward compatible.

The best advice for installing FSX properly is located at this link - http://support.precisionmanuals.com/KB/a87/how-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-fsx.aspx 

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks Jim. That was a great way that you organized and listed them. I think I got all the base work done now and can proceed with the install. Got to admit that after having not installed FSX for over five years and getting used to a new OS after being on XP forever, and being a 64bit OS, its taking me a little time to get used to. I figure myself lucky that I was able to run the same FSX install for 5 years with no problems. I can only imagine the headache some users go through installing FSX and their OS multiple times a year. Hopefully this initial install of FSX on this new OS will last me 5 years like my last one did.

Thanks again for the list!

A word here.

I agree that UAC should be turned off, but ONLY if you run under a non-Admin account anytime your not installing something.  The latter part of that statement has been standard Microsoft security advice for many years, and they created UAC (back with Windows Vista) because people didn't take it.  If you're computer is hacked or bots get aboard when you have an Admin account open then you've given 100% access to your computer even with excellent anti-malware. Root kits are particularly nasty.  Also, if it's really good Malware, you may not even know it's installed or what your computer is doing as you use it.

Keep the Admin account for installing programs and running administrator tasks, and use a Power-User account for everything else.

Dave

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

FSX requires versions 1.1 through 4.5 installed.

Don't mean to be rude, but this is a dubious statement.  There is a 5-year difference between the release of SP2/Accel and 4.5 of the framework.  How could FSX possible know about later versions?  If FSX isn't aware of subsequent versions, it certainly won't need them.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

3. In regards to the UAC, I understand that it needs to be turned off right from the start, however if my machine one has one account, which I assume would be set up as the Admin account, does one still need to right click on every installer .exe for addon scenery, planes, etc. prior to install, or the FSX.exe everytime you run FSX, and select Run As Admin?

I never heard such rubbish. This'll end up like a dog's dinner. Install Win7 (pref Win8) onto the fastest drive. Make yourself a regular user and install FSX into it's default location. Before doing anything else in Explorer 'Edit' the Security Properties of the FSX program Files folder,  Add 'Write' and 'Modify' permissions to the 'Users' Group. Now that's going to act like a WinXP folder and so everything works like WinXP. (there's one obscure plane I found requires running as admin due to other security reasons). If you add addons and a .NET or c++ library is required, pretty generally the installer will set you up. Now you got a working FSX you can run NI and add sparse grid transparency AA. That's the basic setup.

Steve

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

...and hunt down a copy of UIAutomationCore.dll version 6.0.5840.16386 and place a copy in the FSX program Files folder.

Don't mean to be rude, but this is a dubious statement.  There is a 5-year difference between the release of SP2/Accel and 4.5 of the framework.  How could FSX possible know about later versions?  If FSX isn't aware of subsequent versions, it certainly won't need them.

Of course FSX does not need any version past 4.0 but Microsoft.net packages are NOT backward compatible. So, if you have the latest and greatest, that means your fsx will not work well. This is one of the reasons why FSPS Fiber Acceleration requires version 3.5.1 installed. It is also the reason why there is a dotnet verification tool. It is also the reason why all of the versions from when Microsoft first developed dotnets are available on the Internet. This is why I see a lot of members in the AVSIM CTD Forum wondering why FSX crashed. The same goes with Microsoft Visuals. The latest and greatest is not the only one required to run FSX properly.

Best regards,

...and hunt down a copy of UIAutomationCore.dll version 6.0.5840.16386 and place a copy in the FSX program Files folder.

Link provided on page 3 of the AVSIM CTD Guide. Since I don't have "unexplained" CTD's, I have never used this module (knowingly; had the later 18000 version installed by an FSX addon and had unexplained CTD's but they went away when I got rid of it). The AVSIM CTD Forum proves beyond reasonable doubt that this module does not work as there are thousands who continually report CTD's and the program, AppCrashView, shows this module is in their main FSX directory and it did not stop these crashes. There is NO magic bullet that fixes all FSX CTD's.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I've written my own software to understand FSX crashes, and I can confirm that the UIAutomationCore.dll version 6.0.5840.16386 will do no harm placed in the FSX program files folder, but will help prevent some CTDs. Agreed, most CTDs are not caused or cured by it.

This has been the cause of many problems with addons. Better to install FSX in its default location and set the Write permission for the Users group as I stated earlier. One simple reason is addon installers find the installed location easy and less mistakes and finger trouble are made installing addons.