Sign in to follow this  
Donmo

Need some help to get started

Hi, all. I am looking into building a simulator for the aviation gallery in the museum I work at. I would like to have somewhat of a semi-enclosed cockpit, 3 screens, 4 if the gauges can be put onto one. I looked at Roger Dodger, but the construction is too light for the public. The layout seems ok, but again, too light for our crowd. I also need info on the computers needed to run all this, does it take one or two or ...? What I guess I am looking for is the Idiot's Guide to Home Cockpit Building. Does anything like that exist or a site that will get me closer to understanding all of this? Any help would be appreciated. If you are in the Roanoke area, contact me by PM. Thanks again for any help!!

Don

I wouldn't call anyone an idiot. But these guys may be able to help you. Check Jetmax they have an interesting setup that you may be able to work into your budget as well as saving you a bunch of time. Best of luck to you man. Sounds like a very interesting project you have going. Cpt out.

Thanks, RJ. I am looking for something that I can build. That cost is way too high, and it is too complex for the average visitor to comprehend.

Don

Check Saitek out. I have the yoke, throttle twice, rudder pedals, radio panel, multi panel, switch panel and a couple of more complex addons but it is still up there in cost. You have already found the most economical way of a build. The Rodger Dodger plans would probably work for you and you could beef them up a bit if you use Sch40 PVC which is heavy wall PVC. I have Sch40 PVC lawn furniture built around my pool which has survived my daughter and sons friends along with a few parties my wife an I have thrown. It will amaze you with the strength and you can't help but wonder how easy it will be to get joe public into figuring the flight sim themselves. If you could lock the program into say looping the Pattern scenario or something of the sort. If the public crashes it would just restart. Not sure if this could be done with some knowledge of XML or not. Good luck into this venture. Happy flying and best regards. Cpt out.