Sign in to follow this  
Guest Rockcliffe

Why, oh, why, do we do this to ourselves?

You know, while I love MS for inventing FS, I wonder why they released the patch now, so late in the game. It's clearly giving folks with various add-ons and mods a lot of headaches. Surely, MS knows that the performance issues associated with FS9 are concentrated in the serious hobbyist community whose members have tons of complex add-ons. Ergo, more risk with patching.On our side: why do people go and instal stuff that they should be able to suspect will mangle their systems and make them miserable? (Answer: because we are FS addicts. Not just hobbyists. But ADDICTS, yes, and we can't help ourselves...!)I have a zillion add-ons in FS9. I also did the FS-GS PC tweak process, a massive affair that modified many files and services in the PC. I don't even know where CD4 is now! And I'm gonna find original bgl files for thissenthat at this point? Come on, man, you gotta be kidding me !FS9 runs brilliantly for me and looks stunning as it is. Why do I need the patch? To risk wrecking FS9 ?!JS

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

<<<"Why, oh, why, do we do this to ourselves?">>>We don't, JS. Or, at least, we don't have to.I find it amazing that there are so many headless chickens rushing about clucking over all the 'problems' with the patch. Here is Dark Moment's guide to patching FS9:1. Download patch.2. Read instructions.3. Install according to instructions.End of story. No problems. And I have 50GB of FS9 stuff; thousands of aircraft, loads of add-ons, tweaks, three hundred sceneries, blah blah blah. Perhaps it's the beer I drink that makes me so lethargic that when an install pauses for a while on a dll I don't go bananas and start reinstalling my brain as some seem to do.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Hello, " so late in the game":-lol so late? there is still at least ONE YEARS and this is ONLY IF a new Msfs will be released in 2005.Alot of user NEVER READ and install the patch without they know anything and conclude others *.exe is the same whitout ANY fact or true test, again they trust only ONLY their brain and attitude.Alot Alot of users NEVER READ, NEVER SEARCH post in this forum addons doc or anything and ALOT of CONFUSING POST FROM MANY USERS, they trow FALSE informationtest from the patch.BestEric

With all the addons and mods I have on my FS9, I thought sure that the 9.1 patch was going to give me endless hours of grief, but it instead it installed perfecty the first time without incident. I'm a happy camper. :) -- Walt Flying FS9.1 at 1600x1200x32 WideFS 6.226 ActiveSky 2004 2.0 for FS9.1 FSUIPC 3.4.0.0 Registered FS Force 1.02 FSNavigator 4.6.0.0 LAGO FSE Linksys Wireless Router 802.11b BASE SYSTEM (Running FS2004): Intel Pentium 4, 2.0 GHz Windows XP Pro 512MB PC800 RDRAM,8100 128MB ATI Radeon 9600 Pro CATALYST Windows XP 3.10 video driver DirectX 9.0b ViewSonic P95f+ 19 inch Ultrabrite CRT Monitor Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Creative I-Trigue 2.1 3300 Speakers MS ForceFeedback 2 joystick NETWORKED SYSTEM (Running WideFS Client & ActiveSky 2004): Intel Pentium 3, 850 MHz Windows 98 SE 384 MB RAM

Same here, I am none that didnt read anything either. So far all works just fine. Actually cant tell that it did anything. That is fine by me cause since day one FS9 has run great with a ton of add-ons. I dont know why so many have trouble.

It worked great for me too, and I didn't even have an autogen.xml file in the autogen folder!! Forgot to rename it back after using that tweak to stop the bad performance (although it is still in the game, MS now says they fixed the problem when you go back to a place you flew earlier it won't cause a big peformance hit) yet the patch went through without an error

So don't install it? Nobody is forcing you to do it. I don't understand why a patch to the game can in any way be a bad thing?

Mark The "Dark'Indeed. I followed similar instructions. D/l, Read.Install.Got FSUIPC updated .dll, and guess what?It all works!Cannot see differences yet, but I am sure it will make a difference.I stick with a 737 with Bruce Bennaways panel that I know works for me and gives me a nice, easy to fly, short/mid range jet for toddling around in.We can get caught up in the mechanics of the program to the exclusion of the fun flying. We end up spending days of our lives fixing what is working already, and rescuing failures from successes.I have just made approach and landing to Southampton UK airport in atrocious real world weather with 400 ft cloud base. Crazy Cessna pilot ignoring ATC. Sim world going mental making me switch off A/P and bring 737 in manually avoiding buildings, houses, trees and Cessna. This for me is simming, hours of easy, by the book, point to point flights around the world interspersed with occassional sheer hell and panic! Must be what real world aviation is about.

I have always said the opposite. Why oh why do Microsoft never fixes their bugs in their flight sims? Why do they never support their product?You install the patch to get rid of some problems get access to higher level of mesh, more bridges and better performance. Me had not big problems at all just read the readme and good to go. If you don

Patch would not install for me. I got various errors no matter what files I replaced. No worries as I figured it was a good time for a clean up and a fresh install.One real perk of doing a new install is that the patch ran and finished itself in less than two minutes. It then took me a couple of hours to reinstall all of my add-ons and get things re-adjusted.In the end the few hours I spent doing a clean install for the purpose of patching FS9 seems well worth the effort.

>>You know, while I love MS for inventing FSMicrosoft has refined FS to the fine program it is today, but they certainly didn't invent it.(And the patch installed quickly and painlessly for me too.)