Sign in to follow this  
Avantime

A custom "navaid engine" to simulate real navaid behavior?

I'm just wondering if PMDG ever thought about improving the behaviour of FSX navaids through some sort of custom engine or external process (or use an external database like Navigraph) to simulate radio propagation effects like ILS scalloping/false glideslopes, Terrain line-of-sight issues, coastal effect etc. I imagine PMDG can also sell this as a separate product for use with future addons from other developers, sort of like A2A branching off into the FSX utility business with Accufeel. Also it would be nice if PMDG can create a little editor for users to recreate RF conditions around their local airports.

Right now the FSX navaids are extremely precise and are unaffected by terrain, from my own experience the needles tend to 'wobble' around a bit. Perhaps we can incorporate some of those Accufeel-style 'camera shake technology' into this lol. 

If I understand this post correctly, are you wanting to try and include errors from terrain, slant error and perhaps thunderstorms? 

Since highend developers need to custom-code a lot, an 'AccuFeel-style' addon probably won't work.

But adding those features to the custom code by the developer and making it an option to be dis-/enabled by the user isn't so bad an idea to me.

BTW, didn't some of the former flightsims feature this: Fly! ? Flight Unlimited?

Wow, I think this is actually a great idea!

Would bring so much realism into FSX.

Alexis Mefano

Had something along the lines of this for a MilSim I used to play. Arma2. It was called ACRE, and it effected radio use. Distance, terrain, signal strength depending on type of radio. It was very cool. I would love to see this in FSX. Looks like another thing got added to the wish list. Lol.

Sent from my Apple communications device.