Sign in to follow this  
Guest Fsfreeware

American Data is King of the Roads (Long Post)

Guest Fsfreeware

Ehi Holger!hi! long time no see!I must agree to a point - photoreal can be flat - that is true - but - not matter what you do with lwm vtp - you will not get even close to the real thing as much as photorealistic scenery.yes is true the lwm vtp can add a 3 d dimension to the whole thing - but it is still not the real thing - unless is done in gmax with real and taken textures right on the spot.therefore is a matter - of again - choice - flat - against 3 d but a cartoonistic 3 d dimension - not at all real.regarding storage space - in these days this can be easly resolved with dvd or a matrox 300 gb external hd - at the cost of only us 99 - but how many photorealistic scenery will go in there - about 300 of 1 gb each - that is why i do design both - photoreal - and lwm vtp - to have the best of both worlds.ray

Guest Hesynergy

Allen, First of all, let me congratulate you on your superb product, USroads. It has turned my VFR flying over the my custom KY 10M mesh, (which reeeeeealy popped out when I upped the Num_vertexes to 21 in the cfg file...btw...this was PRIOR to the fs9.1 upgrade...apparently fs was capable of showing 9.8M mesh all along),I created for my new home in Flat Lick, KY, into an absolute joy! I have put in a 2000' ILS strip with Afcad, and played with the Lago demo to add the farm house, Ground2k4 to add "Stinking Creek" and the new rwy12 for additional object placement. This is all to say, I want my VFR flying to be as accurate is possible.It is glorious to be at 3000 feet and fly over my KY mesh and view the actual roads that lead to the nearest towns to the NW , Barbourville, Corbin, and to the SE Pineville and Middlesboro. BUT!!!...when I get to about 1500 feet, the roads become very obviously painted. I have read your response about the fps toll flattening might have, but I have to agree about the importance of flattening, ESPECIALLY in the hill country where I live. I also noticed in an other post that you mentioned Holger Sandmann as having a solution to flattening which you had'nt thought of, to both Microsoft's and your custom textures. Can you amplify on Mr. Sandmann's suggested,solution? Lacking that...can you direct me to his comments to you regarding Flattening...or was that a private conversation?....Flattening in hill country....IS VERY IMPORTANT...if...and ONLY IF...there is a negligable fps hit...or am I asking for the unrealistic WIN/Win situation?....Flattening on HILLS and MOUNTAINS is Critical for the total enjoyment, involvement and suspension of disbelief of VFR flight, which..if I am not mistaken...was the prime goal of USroads in the first place.N.B.BTW guys and gals...off topic...but I am using the(a?) NEW fs9.1(not the old fs9.0) NOCD patch from AVENGER...it reads version 9.1.0.40901!..runs fine...with...I presume/hope the original code with new offsets and features.Respecfully, and gratefully submitted,Chas Honcehttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/95602.jpg

>good representation of complex interchanges), the roads are>WAY too bright, even at the lower reflection rating. You are way behind times. This problem has long been solved with a simple small download.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2, Omega 2.7.90 (4xAA 16xAF)

The FSGenesis product was configured specifically to allow folks to use it alongside USA Roads if they wanted to. The flatten vs. accuracy folks (I know I'm simplifying!) can each have their road preference, while everyone can benefit from the streams and railroads.Jon

Guest Hesynergy

>>good representation of complex interchanges), the roads are>>WAY too bright, even at the lower reflection rating. >>You are way behind times. This problem has long been solved>with a simple small download.>>Michael J.>WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB>Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2, Omega 2.7.90 (4xAA 16xAF)...and that would be...?

Guest wathomas777

First of all, the review was for both products as they stand 'out of the box' It is not fair to review a "modified" product which wasn't even modified by the developers themselves, against a stock product from another company.If you look in my first reply to Allen, I did acknowledge the existence of the alternate textures that you refer to, and did acknowledge they help alot. However, the existence of the textures do not change the comparison of two out of the box products.I still believe the biggest sell point for the American Roads product is the ability to halt roads from going into the water, the "flattening" that really improves the look of roads in mountainous and hilly regions, and the price tag.Again, I purchased both products and enjoy both of them, but the ability to turn off road encroachment due to inaccurate shorelines and the flatten features seal the deal for me. (Plus at $15.00 how could you go wrong).For people who follow rivers, roads and coastlines, the new products from both Scenery Solutions and American Data should be a godsend. However, I wonder what the effect will be in major coastal cities when all of the sudden buildings end up in the water, or 'ferry' terminals end up on land. (a quick trip to Seattle using US roads will show the Alaskan Way viaduct is quite a bit off shore of the existing coastline. Thus when the corrections come, how many ships will we suddenly see in inexplicable drydock?

Guest Hesynergy

I looked at all 63 shots...I'm convinced....loading your files now...Thank you very much!Chas

Guest Hesynergy

Can someone send me a screen shot of their American Data road ? Please shoot from the enclosed jpg coordinates...btw..what you see is my USARoads and my Lago scenery ...so don't think it comes with any commercial package.Thanks,Chashesynergy@charter.net

Hey, Chas, you might want to post at fsgenesis.net, that's who distributes that product.Jon

Could you post a website for the American Data website, I've never heard of them or their products.Thanks,Jeff

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

Since I have everything FSFreeware has to offer, I re-installed FS, thus wiping my AD Roads, and I'll go with FSFreeware's US Roads and Waters. An all-in-one solution for me (all parts are compatible with the others since they're from one developer), especially together with the soon-to-be-released USA 19m mesh.Had my share in troubles with AD before the first patch, and it's a too much "integrated" package for my taste (alters terrain.cfg heavily, and I had unforseeable changes to my big scenery.cfg, and some CTDs where I suspect AD being the cause).Just wanted to point out that there's another roads package available.Andreas

Guest frankbergson

>Here you go:>>New Roads for "USRoads" Version 1.1================================================================== For your Information:NuRoads 1.1 was written in July of 20004, and posted on several Flight Simulator Websites. It has been downloaded over 7000 times. NuRoads 1.1 was designed specifically to work with

Guest kingairvols

Will and others,I have both installed on my PC along with the Sim. I realize this is a big mistake and stupid on my part. Could someone please explian a painless way to only have the AD alive and active. I have had the FSGenesis full membership from the start of FS9 and am a big supporter of Justins fine work. I am really wanting to get this set up properly and hope there is a way to re-install AD or what ever it take to aliviate the issue. I am sure I will see some great improvements. Also, the Tiger features do not seem to be active. Upon steps required to have AD installed and working ok, what are the staps to activate the Tiger features. I read throuh the text an wa unclear I am ure it i ue to the fact that I mut pull out the other road program (I have no Idea how) and at that point I will be able to set up the Tiger features.Thanks to anyone for your help.Mark.