Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Moe

Smooth but no fps gain

Hi,

Really want to thank you all your guys for your outstanding work and passion for making FSX better and better every day and year with all the tweaks.

I think i am on top of a max system right now allthough i am in doubt how often you might mistakenly override files with the shader3.0=1 or shade in FSX.cfg ? Sometimes a DX9 scenery comes along and you want to see if it is better than DX 10 :-)

My system runs pretty well in the low 20´s in majour airports with the NGX but smooth so i just diable the FRAPS :-) This is summertime. In winter time my system runs even better and how would you explain that? Does a system give you more frames if the temp is lower? On heavy run in summer i am not above 68c. In winter close to 62c

i7-950@4,2

HD58701GB (might becoming hd7970 3gb for FSDT pure DX10 code airports)

ssd128gb w7

raptor 300gb FSX

Thanks

Michael Moe

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Ya i pretty much feel the same. Not really a big bump in fps so much as just somehow smoother flight overall. CPU limited scenarios still render low fps though. But even then still smoother than in dx9. Could be improved frame latency since dx10 mode seems to use the video card more according to my on screen display from Radionpro which perhaps means freeing fax up to be more efficient in other tasks. The other DX10 benefit seems to be better ambient light that feels more convincing to me.

Not sure about the ambient temp in the house affecting frame rate unless your CPU has some kind of thermal throttling. Do you ever monitor the CPU clock to see if its always the same clock speed? Could it be a speedstep thing? Not sure. I turned that off on my i7 2600.

C.

Ya i pretty much feel the same. Not really a big bump in fps so much as just somehow smoother flight overall. CPU limited scenarios still render low fps though. But even then still smoother than in dx9. Could be improved frame latency since dx10 mode seems to use the video card more according to my on screen display from Radionpro which perhaps means freeing fax up to be more efficient in other tasks. The other DX10 benefit seems to be better ambient light that feels more convincing to me.

Not sure about the ambient temp in the house affecting frame rate unless your CPU has some kind of thermal throttling. Do you ever monitor the CPU clock to see if its always the same clock speed? Could it be a speedstep thing? Not sure. I turned that off on my i7 2600.

C.

Some people over at tweaks.dk say it might be the GPU that gets a lot hotter here in summertime so i just set the fan to 65% constantly and then i will see what happens.

But i must admit that i have a much better flow during DX10 also in summertime but fps seems to drop 2-3fps here in summertime so maybe GPU gets to stressed and make this compromise.

Overall its all about smoothness and landing at Aerosoft EHAM 18R with AG=MAX and some clouds and 20% UT2/10% Roadtraffic and still having 20fps on approach is nice. Setting AG back to Normal and i do not see these micro pauses during on approach in these mature airports (maybe these might be related to hot GPU)

FSDT scenerys in DX10 is very nice and smooth so i am looking forward to a new 480GB SSD with a HD79703GB, (along with the PMDG777X)

Michael Moe

Some people over at tweaks.dk say it might be the GPU that gets a lot hotter here in summertime so i just set the fan to 65% constantly and then i will see what happens.

But i must admit that i have a much better flow during DX10 also in summertime but fps seems to drop 2-3fps here in summertime so maybe GPU gets to stressed and make this compromise.

Overall its all about smoothness and landing at Aerosoft EHAM 18R with AG=MAX and some clouds and 20% UT2/10% Roadtraffic and still having 20fps on approach is nice. Setting AG back to Normal and i do not see these micro pauses during on approach in these mature airports (maybe these might be related to hot GPU)

FSDT scenerys in DX10 is very nice and smooth so i am looking forward to a new 480GB SSD with a HD79703GB, (along with the PMDG777X)

Michael Moe

What are the temperatures you seeing under load?

What are the temperatures you seeing under load?

Rigth now the GPU is between 55-62c during load

Michael Moe