Sign in to follow this  
jimh

SweetFX makes FSX disappear!

Subscribing in case someone figures these "disappearing crashes" out.  I haven't tried SFX since moving to DX10 mode, but in DX9 it crashed all the time like this.  Usually when coming back out of a menu item like maps or flight planner or whatever.  The sim would sit there for a second and then just poof it was gone with no message.  I tried everything I could think of, yanking that KB update (installed automatically and you can't get rid of btw if you move to IE10), and disabling the OSD for Precision X while FSX is running.  The only thing I didn't try was totally shutting off Precision X (fan profiles for my video card).  

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

flyinion I was experiencing the same thing I use only dx9 due to payware airport problems anyway sweetfx was working fine all of a sudden weeks later fsx was disappearing after choosing anything in the menu - I have removed it and all is fine now - would be nice to get it back do like it.

Precision X - I am using this have you heard of problems with it ?

Rich Sennett

Jim

Out of interest have you recently installed ORBX Australia?

flyinion I was experiencing the same thing I use only dx9 due to payware airport problems anyway sweetfx was working fine all of a sudden weeks later fsx was disappearing after choosing anything in the menu - I have removed it and all is fine now - would be nice to get it back do like it.

Hey isn't Precision X the software that is said to fix the ENB  & SweetFX CTD ? I was reading about it some where but i can't remember.

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz
SSD -Crucial MX500 1TB (P3D Install Only)
OS- Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (Window 10 Pro 64)

No Australia products installed - Precision tool as far as I know does nothing but overclock and raise fans speeds nothing to do with fixing sweetfx as far as I know if anything it would be the other way around may try the ati utility instead see what happens but 97 degrees here no AC thinking it might not be a good idea to push it  :(

Rich Sennett

Hi,

I posted earlier, but it seems to have disappeared.

I updated DX - no difference.

I inserted the1.40 files - no difference.

It's a new install, so at first I had only FSX Deluxe and Acceleration, now I have added the three FS Global Ultimates only.

Like Richard, I really liked the difference SFX made to the scenery, but at the moment it's a no go on my system.

If someone hits on a solution, please let me know!!

Asus Rog Maximus VIII Hero, i9-10900k 4.8GHZ, Corsair H100 cooler, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 2666, RTX3090 20GB, Win10 HP 64-bit, 3 Monitors "19-22-19", Vive Pro 2 Headset.

Yes makes no sense to work for a bit and then not - something is not getting along with it - hmmmmm

Rich Sennett

Precision X and other similar tools like MSI Afterburner offer an onscreen display that can display things like fps, GPU usage, fan speed, etc. in your games.  It's a known compatibility thing with things like SweetFX and EnB.  You can supposedly fix it by adding fsx.exe to the profiles list in the OSD "server" and checking a box for something called "3rd party .dll compatibility".  Unfortunately it didn't help in my case.  I even went as far as telling Precision to disable the OSD totally while FSX was running and still no go.  So I'm pretty sure precision was not actually the cause of my problems.  

Probably just some combo of drivers/software/etc.  Heck it could even be that it just didn't like my 310.90 video drivers or maybe my NI settings.  Now that I've moved on to DX10 mode, I will probably sit down one weekend to replicate my DX9 effects look and then see if I'm still getting crashes.  For one, I run slightly different NI settings now so if that was responsible then maybe it will behave now.

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

Hi,

I posted earlier, but it seems to have disappeared.

I updated DX - no difference.

I inserted the1.40 files - no difference.

It's a new install, so at first I had only FSX Deluxe and Acceleration, now I have added the three FS Global Ultimates only.

Like Richard, I really liked the difference SFX made to the scenery, but at the moment it's a no go on my system.

If someone hits on a solution, please let me know!!

Are you using FXAA or SMAA SweetFX dll's?

Make sure you have the correct dll's.

If you're using SMAA try switching to FXAA.

Bummer it's not working for you.

No Australia products installed - Precision tool as far as I know does nothing but overclock and raise fans speeds nothing to do with fixing sweetfx as far as I know if anything it would be the other way around may try the ati utility instead see what happens but 97 degrees here no AC thinking it might not be a good idea to push it  :(

This is what i found out about Precision X http://enbseries.enbdev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=433

To me Precision X is just like afterburner.

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz

Precision X and other similar tools like MSI Afterburner offer an onscreen display that can display things like fps, GPU usage, fan speed, etc. in your games.  It's a known compatibility thing with things like SweetFX and EnB.  You can supposedly fix it by adding fsx.exe to the profiles list in the OSD "server" and checking a box for something called "3rd party .dll compatibility".  Unfortunately it didn't help in my case.  I even went as far as telling Precision to disable the OSD totally while FSX was running and still no go.  So I'm pretty sure precision was not actually the cause of my problems.  

Probably just some combo of drivers/software/etc.  Heck it could even be that it just didn't like my 310.90 video drivers or maybe my NI settings.  Now that I've moved on to DX10 mode, I will probably sit down one weekend to replicate my DX9 effects look and then see if I'm still getting crashes.  For one, I run slightly different NI settings now so if that was responsible then maybe it will behave now.

By the way is your GPU Overclock ? If so how high is your temperature when going through dense scenery?

Mr Leny

4.6 ghz overclock  - 57 to 75 degrees - corsair water cooler

Rich Sennett

By the way is your GPU Overclock ? If so how high is your temperature when going through dense scenery?

My GPU is a factory overclocked FPB edition GTX560 Ti from Nvidia.  I really only run Precision to use a custom fan profile, but I may be able to get away without it in FSX.  Games like WoW, SWTOR, and other more modern games I can run 80-95% GPU usage a lot and really drive the temps up.

4.6 ghz is my cpu not my video card Titan stays very cool about 42 degrees, I usually turn the fan up 85% with Precision x, Especially now it is hot as hell here lol

Rich Sennett