Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Reloading aircraft in FS9 whilst painting

martinlest2, on 04 Jul 2013 - 3:24 PM, said:

More importantly, the programme doesn't even find at least half the a/c I have installed at all..

I seriously doubt that.

For example, both of those aircraft will show in FSRepaint in the folder labelled "India - Air India Boeing"

If you expand that folder you will see 2 b787-8

The interface is designed to work with the default style of ui_ nomenclature. When you alter it to meet your wants, FSRepaint has no way of knowing how to deal with that.

regards,

Joe

[edit]

For me, the only time FSRepaint has changed the aircraft.cfg was when I had made a mistake when editing it, like forgetting to renumber a [fltsim.nn] section.

Even then, it made no changes to the actual text, only changed everything to caps. BTW, this was nice in that it pointed out a problem that needed to be fixed.

[/edit]

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

I had a similar discussion on another forum about FS Repaint and have used Version 2 for quite a while . As Joe states it can be used for repainting but why would you , as most other paint / photo editing software does a much better job . I only use it for previewing my work without having to start up FS X . I was sceptical about buying it in the first place and therefore tried the demo version ( both version I and II ) and only then bought it .

There are several issues with FSR not being able to display all types of aircraft / helicopters and different developers .

Even with Carenado not all aircraft can be viewed with FSR or do not show up correctly . On some changing the exterior textures from bmp to dds helps ( or vice versa )  but again not always the case . One in particular is Aerosoft's AirbusX , in FSR everything is aligned , in the sim mis-aligned by one or two pixels , so again FSR is okay for previewing a paint but still has to be checked in the sim before finalising .

As for the editing of the aircraft.cfg , I did have this happen to me once before but I always backup my cfg before working on any repaints so that the original is always available .

John

Well, you may doubt it Joe, but I assure it's the case, for instance, when I look at 'India' entries (all of them) and expand them with the + I get just one aircraft (despite having at least 12 which have the same manufacturer line -  I have a lot of different Air India planes in FS9). Certainly no 787 anywhere.

FSR changes my cfg files as it loads. The files are timestamped with the exact time I start up FSR. It then only 'sees' the a/c for which it has altered the cfg files. All the others are missing. Maybe, as you say, FSRepaint doesn't like the way I have my aircraft.cfg files.

I am fine with Photoshop, apart from the fact that after several reloads of the a/c I am painting, changes I make and save no longer show without my shutting down FS9 and starting it up again. Very tedious of course.

M. B)

Thanks for contributing, John, though this particular discussion is about FS9.

Martin,

You may want to consider this if you want to use FSRepaint, and I have done it for other purposes like testing scenery, when I need to load FS a lot.

Create another aircraft folder, I named mine "aircraft-test".

Make sure you copy the aircraft used in your default flight to "aircraft-test".

When you want to paint a plane, copy it to "aircraft-test" and then rename you aircraft folder to something like "aircraft-reg" and rename "aircraft-test" to "aircraft". This can be done quickly with a batch file.

This way FS will load quicker because of the reduced aircraft count and your repainting subject will be easy to find.

When all done, copy over what needs to be copied over and rename the folders, Bob's yer uncle.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Thanks for the idea. But because FSR can't find my a/c (I think that the fact that it does find all my AI aircraft, whose cfg files are unaltered, proves that my tweaked cfg files cause it problems) and because of the way it overwrites my aircraft.cfg files I have uninstalled it.

Your basic idea is still good however, in that I keep a 'clean' (out-of-the-box) installation of FS9 on the same PC and I should use that, rather than my huge 'full'FS9 setup when painting a/c. Easy to set things up so the small default installation is used instead, and it will load much faster, as you say. Thanks again...

M.

Thanks for contributing, John, though this particular discussion is about FS9.

I experienced this phenomena in FS9 TOO.

Some models simply are not listed nor displayed.

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

Your basic idea is still good however, in that I keep a 'clean' (out-of-the-box) installation of FS9 on the same PC and I should use that, rather than my huge 'full' FS9 setup when painting a/c. Easy to set things up so the small default installation is used instead, and it will load much faster...

Fool that I am not to have thought of this before!!! FS9 loads in seconds instead of over a minute!!

I have a method that may work for you.

Say I am looking at the left side of my newly painted aircraft and I decide to correct some thing in the paint.

I fix whatever it is in my paint program (I use PSP and Photoshop).... then I load a different livery in the sim.

The important bit is to then view this from the right side. (or opposite side) I then convert my repainted texture (DXTbmp) and save.

I then load my aircraft with the repaint. I will see changes for many many times (not for ever but .....certainly a lot more than otherwise.

Never tried the left side/right side thing, but will give it a go. Just finished one repaint today (will upload to AVSIM after testing), but will try that next time.