Sign in to follow this  
jfri

Does it matter which mobo you pick ?

The Asus Z87-A, Gigabyte Z87X-(U)D3H and similar should be fine.

If Asus Z87-A is fine I think my suggestion Z87-C also is good. Suspect them to equal only the A has one more PCI express slot and also support for SLI and crossfire (which I don't need).

Regarding thermal limits and lifetime. How long time are we talking about here ?

I just bought the ASUS Z87 Deluxe MB and the Haswell 4770K.  From the reviews I saw it is one of the best for the new Haswell.  I just overclocked on the fly from my desktop using the ASUS Suite III program to 4.2.  So far very stable but will continue testing before going higher.  It's all done automatically.  Like cool!!  I used the Noctra D14 CPU air-cooling system from my previous ASUS P67 Deluxe MB and it works well.  ASUS controls the fans for you too!  Like cool!  It's a little expensive though but you might find some deals out there.

Best regards,

Jim

Yes expensive and I see one reason must be the many features. Things like many ports and PCIe slots and WLAN and bluetoth. But if you don't need those features.

So bottom line is do you want to build now, or wait for the Haswell processor/Z87 chipset???

What do you mean? The haswell CPU has been out for a month now and my suggested mobo is Z87.

PS: Brand new motherboard do not generally have a mature bios...

If so I suspect this apply to all motherboards for haswell CPU.

If you could tell us the limit of what you are willing to spend, most of us could give you some suggestions.

I intend to build a new computer and I found the Asus Z87-C at as I think reasonable price. I can think of spending more on the mobo if there are good reasons for it. For example if it could be shown that the Z87-C is going to give problem to achieve my planned OC. But I can't pick expensive components in every case

1. Chassis/Case/Tower - this will be with you probably longer than your PSU and Motherboard if you choose one that is constructed well and has many capabilities that will allow future upgrades to combine seamlessly or with very little effort.

I have this Antec P280 case in mind

http://www.dustinhome.se/product/5010615696/antec-performance-one-p280-xl-atx-black/

3. Power Supply Unit (PSU) - DO NOT EVER SKIMP ON THIS, I can not state this enough, I have repaired & overhauled many machines that have suffered from under voltage or short circuiting and none of them were cheap repairs. Give your machine at least 200W of head room to accommodate for future upgrades and capacitor aging. Also take a real strong look at your +12V rails, many PSU's undersell this and what may initially look like a great deal may end up costing you dearly.

I have this corsair 750W PSU in mind

http://www.dustinhome.se/product/5010645349/corsair-hx750-modular-gold-750w/

4. Hard Drive - This really needs no introduction, there is nothing wrong with using a 7200 RPM Western Digital Caviar Black or a Seagate Barracuda of the same spec, just don't go for the lesser brands to save some money as they can leave you with a bad warranty, and a dead drive with all your nice work being nothing short of magnetic waste. This is also the case for Solid State Drives, do your research here, a good HDD/SSD will last you years and most of the good ones will also cover you for many years as they stand behind the quality of their work.

I have this SSD in mind and having everything on it

http://www.dustinhome.se/product/5010655118/samsung-840-series-500gb-ssd-sata-600-tlc/

6 USB back panel connectors, 6 SATA III, no SLI capabilities. Are you ok with that? if that's enough it's perfectly fine for your needs. That board is not going to limit your overclock even if you delid. I'd say go for it, great value

I intend to build a new computer and I found the Asus Z87-C at as I think reasonable price. I can think of spending more on the mobo if there are good reasons for it. For example if it could be shown that the Z87-C is going to give problem to achieve my planned OC. But I can't pick expensive components in every case

I have this Antec P280 case in mind

http://www.dustinhome.se/product/5010615696/antec-performance-one-p280-xl-atx-black/

I have this corsair 750W PSU in mind

http://www.dustinhome.se/product/5010645349/corsair-hx750-modular-gold-750w/

I have this SSD in mind and having everything on it

http://www.dustinhome.se/product/5010655118/samsung-840-series-500gb-ssd-sata-600-tlc/

The Antec P280 Tower is really nice for the money, lots of space for a Mid Tower, wire and cable management (make sure you actually use them, they help keep a system cooler by hiding wires that interfere with airflow. Be sure to flip your PSU upside down so that fan faces downward to get the cool air in from the bottom, also be sure to clean the dust filters every 2 weeks on average, you can clean them with simple hot water and dry them with a hand towel, usually takes me about 5-7 minutes total. You can opt out of using the bottom filter where your PSU is to get more airflow if you feel the need, just be sure to use compressed air cans to blast out the dust in the PSU every 2 weeks.

The PSU you selected is a solid PSU, it has a 64 Amp SINGLE <-(this is good) rail, that should allow you to run just about any single GPU on the market as of this post. It is an 80+ Gold which will help you stay stable and it reflects product quality (usually). The HX series are good PSU's for the money, and its also Modular which will allow you to keep unnecessary clutter out of your system.

The SSD you have is one of the best and is ARGUABLY the best SATA III SSD on the market. The real question here is, is Flight Simulator your only game? Do you have lots of music or videos? Consider how your current system is and how much space you have taken up. If that SSD is strictly for Flight Sim then you should be top notch (some would say a waste, but you might get 1-2 frames better performance just from faster texture/scenery loading) and that's a big MIGHT not a guarantee. A good solution might be a Velociraptor Drive with an SSD where the SSD houses you Operating system and a few basic programs and have a large Raptor Drive for data storage. REMEMBER DO NOT EVER DEFRAG YOUR SSD, IT DOES NOT NEED DEFRAG & YOU WILL BE USING UP YOUR WRITES & RE-WRITES.

So far your system seems pretty solid, if you are not interested in using multiple GPU's (a single high performance GPU will run most games above 30 FPS) then don't worry about the feature. I personally like the ASUS SABERTOOTH Z87 LGA 1150 Motherboard, its definitely a bit more expensive but they are extremely reliable boards and will assist you well with overclocking.

8414713730_2947d4201c_n.jpg

The SSD you have is one of the best and is ARGUABLY the best SATA III SSD on the market. The real question here is, is Flight Simulator your only game? Do you have lots of music or videos? Consider how your current system is and how much space you have taken up. If that SSD is strictly for Flight Sim then you should be top notch (some would say a waste, but you might get 1-2 frames better performance just from faster texture/scenery loading) and that's a big MIGHT not a guarantee. A good solution might be a Velociraptor Drive with an SSD

No not only FSX but also other games and the DCS flight simulator but not for music or videos. I did consider a velociraptor but I though about this. An mechanical drive get slower when you fill it so you shouldn't compare a 500G velociraptor with a 500G SSD

Its not comparing performance, its comparing cost effectiveness. No professional PC tech would compare a high spin HDD to a sold state drive. How large is your FSX folder currently and how large do you expect it to get with your new PC build?

How large is your FSX folder currently and how large do you expect it to get with your new PC build?

Total 160 GB.

Expect FSX to reach around if not over 200+ GB with addons and such, unless you can say 100% without a doubt that you will not download anything else for FSX. Depending upon the size of the other programs you might run into virtual space issues (remember that your pagefile will eat up as much as your ram or at least it should in theory). Take this into consideration when buying your SSD, perhaps a dedicated 250GB SSD just for FSX is called for here, with your 500GB SSD running your OS and other programs?

Expect FSX to reach around if not over 200+ GB with addons and such, unless you can say 100% without a doubt that you will not download anything else for FSX. Depending upon the size of the other programs you might run into virtual space issues (remember that your pagefile will eat up as much as your ram or at least it should in theory). Take this into consideration when buying your SSD, perhaps a dedicated 250GB SSD just for FSX is called for here, with your 500GB SSD running your OS and other programs?

With 200+ for FSX there is more than 200+ over for OS and other programs sounds more than enough

try not to go below 10% on an SSD, it will decrease some performance, if you are quite certain that 1 SSD then more power to you and enjoy, the Samsung 840 Pro is an excellent choice.

try not to go below 10% on an SSD, it will decrease some performance, if you are quite certain that 1 SSD then more power to you and enjoy, the Samsung 840 Pro is an excellent choice.

Actually it's not Samsung 840 Pro I haved picked but only Samsung 840. I'm not sure what difference it make. Is the one I picked also an excellent choice ? I have a 250G one in my current system but its connector is broken.

The 840 Pro is the way to go, the 840 Pro uses MLC NAND Flash which lasts 2x longer than the 840's TLC. As for performance the Pro is a little bit faster in benchmarks, your choice in this matter, but I stand by the 840 Pro and so do many others.

The 840 Pro is the way to go, the 840 Pro uses MLC NAND Flash which lasts 2x longer than the 840's TLC. As for performance the Pro is a little bit faster in benchmarks, your choice in this matter, but I stand by the 840 Pro and so do many others.

I knew that the Pro version was better but it's much more expensive. 1200 SEK more for the same size. My picked 340s has a warranty of 3 years. How long should we expect a ordinary SSD to function flawless before aging surface ?

That is truly hard to tell, each SSD has a different life span, it comes down to 3 main things though......

Product Build Quality

End User Interaction

Environment Variables

Some SSD's have lasted people 4 years others are DOA or last a few days, the only solid way to estimate your potential issues is to look at reviews of customers, weigh the bad vs good, and go from there. Its all a gamble with ANY product you will ever buy, that's why build quality, customer service, and warranties are so important.