Sign in to follow this  
red259

ATC recommendations

Unfortunately we are all still in the same boat with ATC and will be for the foreseeable future.  There isn't a single solution out there that is even really close to 100% accurate with the real world.  They all have their drawbacks.

The online networks come the closest but the big caveat there being when they are staffed.  That, unfortunately is the biggest drawback for any of these - PE, VATSIM, or IVAO.  PE at least "guarantees" staffing between a good block of hours every day but, as I said earlier, it's so limited in its geographical area that it covers.  Unless you love SoCal/Vegas, it's not of much use and even that isn't staffed around the clock like IRL.

It's really impossible I think unless controllers literally start getting paid for us to ever have something close to the real world.  Having said that, when you're lucky enough to have a fully covered flight, there's nothing better!!!  It's just too bad that's too few and far between unless you're willing to chase ATC maybe.

All the other software options, well, it's the same ol' same ol' with them.  I don't think there's a single one that handles all types of flying well from what I've read.  I have only used RC4 and default MS ATC myself so the rest of what I know about the others just comes from what I've read here.  Of course, RC4 is better than default, it still has major drawbacks too and is so scripted/predictable as well.

Anyway, this is probably the biggest area of FS that has yet to be conquered.  We have excellent 3rd party scenery that makes you feel like you're really at that airport.  Realistic planes from the likes of PMDG, Majestic, Aerosoft, etc that make you feel like you're in the real thing.  Realistic weather from Opus, ActiveSky, etc.  A realistic flight planner in PFPX.  The only missing piece in FS to be done to the level of these other areas is ATC.  I guess that's because it's probably the most difficult to model perhaps.

Try PFE, you wount regret it, make sure to get the addon voice packs, plus the freebee voice pack enhancer

It's really impossible I think unless controllers literally start getting paid for us to ever have something close to the real world.  Having said that, when you're lucky enough to have a fully covered flight, there's nothing better!!!  It's just too bad that's too few and far between unless you're willing to chase ATC maybe.

That's exactly how PilotEdge works, the controllers are paid to be there. That's why the network offers 15x7 coverage, and is also one of the reasons that we can't cover the entire country. Each facility would cost well over $8000/month to run 15x7 and with 20+ facilities in the US alone, the numbers simply don't work. Nobody is REALLY willing to pay the money that it would cost to cover the entire country, let alone the entire world, nor is there a large enough market to be able to populate the country (let alone the world) with meaningful levels of traffic. Consider that the US routinely has 5000+ IFR flights airborne at any given time, and thousands of VFR aircraft, too...yet there are vast expanses of airspace that are virtually empty.

The dream of global 24x7 coverage is exactly that, a dream. The reality is that if you had it, you'd be quite lonely...and poor as a result of helping finance that venture. The solution is a smaller coverage area (it could be bigger than PE's current area, don't get me wrong) to have any hope of decent traffic levels. People need to compromise with the coverage area and accept that global guaranteed coverage isn't going to happen.

People get all excited if they see "800 pilots online" on VATSIM, but 800 planes randomly spread all over the world might just as well be zero planes in terms of traffic density for any given area. 

Keith Smith

PilotEdge Founder

ASEL (instrument)

Lancair 360