Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jfri

How much can you overclock your haswell CPU ?

I would like to hear from people who has a new haswell (4760K or 4770K) and have overclocked it.

How high clock frequency could you achieve ?

What CPU cooler did you use ?

What RAM memory was used ?

What case for the system ? Ask since I understand that it matters when overclocking .

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I've settled on 4.3 GHz / 1.214V. With Haswell, it all depends on how much heat you're willing to accept.

For example, Prime95 Small FFT's with AVX and Hyper-Threading enabled (or the AIDA64 FPU-only test), I get about 86C. Disable hyper-threading and it drops by 8-10C (76C). Running Prepar3D, temps are only in the mid 60's C.

Some would push the CPU harder, arguing that they never run those "extreme" scenarios, so it doesn't matter. The CPU would overheat and throttle under those conditions, but would run e.g. FSX just fine. If you're only hunting clock speeds and don't care about HT, the 4670K would be a better buy, since it's otherwise nearly identical to the 4770K. I do a few other things with my computer where HT is of great benefit so I keep it enabled and live with the ~5% lower clock speed.

There's also the issue of CPU lifetime. 1.3V is at the upper limit of what you want to push through the 22nm chip on a 24/7 basis. Something in the 1.2x V range is safer, and also quieter, cooler and uses less power.

RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance Low-Profile 1600 MHz CL9 (not overclocked, but timings tightened to 9-9-9-24 1T)

CPU cooler: http://www.phanteks.com/PH-TC14PE.html

Case: http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=product∏=111

I'm running a 4770k on an Asus z87 Pro under a Silver Arrow SB-E cooler with 2x4GB low voltage Samsung ram running 2133 9-11-10-28 T1 at 1.55v inside a cramped budget mid-tower case with upgraded fans.  I'm clocked at 4.5Ghz using 1.17v adaptive mode, no HT.  FSX core temps average 63c, max 70c.

If you were to spend some time browsing the web on this subject, would see this pattern:  Haswell's overclocking ability varies greatly from chip to chip.  Some (the unlucky few) can only get to 4.1 on 1.25v while others (the lucky few) can get 4.6+ on 1.25v.  4.3 to maybe 4.4 seems to be the sweet spot for most with reasonable voltages.  BTW, overclocks run HOT, so a really good cooler is a must for overclocking.

5.0GHz 1.48V

Laing D5, MoRa 3, Koolance CPU380i

Haswell is very picky about memory but found that Team ddr3 2600MHz and Geil Corsa ddr3 2666MHz will boot into ddr3 2400MHz with no errors in MemTest 86 (stock clocks 1.65V)

Cooler Master Cosmos 2

asus boards provide two layers of voltage regulation. The FIVR will take you to 4.6 - 4.7GHz then quit. The rest of the way is with manual core voltage and VCCIN.

HLJAMES

5.0GHz 1.48V

That is awesome! Must run FSX beautifully? I am hoping for 5ghz with my Haswell build.

f you were to spend some time browsing the web on this subject, would see this pattern: Haswell's overclocking ability varies greatly from chip to chip. Some (the unlucky few) can only get to 4.1 on 1.25v while others (the lucky few) can get 4.6+ on 1.25v. 4.3 to maybe 4.4 seems to be the sweet spot for most with reasonable voltages. BTW, overclocks run HOT, so a really good cooler is a must for overclocking.

I'm fully aware that the result varies from chip to chip. But also in addition to the cpu cooler the case must also matter. Or do you mean that some chips don't OC well irrelevant from the temperature ? MY impression has always beenb that it's the temperature that ultimately matters in how high you can over clock .

Testing 4770K @ 4.8GHz w/HT 1.37VCore 1.9VCCin on water now, have not de-lidded, lapped IHS, or used Liquid Pro yet because I wanted to make sure I got a good chip before I voided the warranty. Asus Maximus VI Hero, custom water cooling. Batch L310B492. Goal is 4.8-5.0 at a voltage that won't cause chip degradation for long term use (so well below 1.5).

Seems to be fine with running my Trident X @ 2600 C10 (as rated) also. Haven't found a great match for uncore yet though, had to back off to 4.1 w/1.28V cache voltage to find stability. Will continue tweaking though!

James: what uncore/cache settings are you running?

Testing 4770K @ 4.8GHz w/HT 1.37VCore 1.9VCCin on water now, have not de-lidded, lapped IHS, or used Liquid Pro yet because I wanted to make sure I got a good chip before I voided the warranty. Asus Maximus VI Hero, custom water cooling. Batch L310B492. Goal is 4.8-5.0 at a voltage that won't cause chip degradation for long term use (so well below 1.5).

Seems to be fine with running my Trident X @ 2600 C10 (as rated) also. Haven't found a great match for uncore yet though, had to back off to 4.1 w/1.28V cache voltage to find stability. Will continue tweaking though!

Can I ask you to run a couple of quick FSMark11 tests at 2 different uncore frequencies please Max?

Can I ask you to run a couple of quick FSMark11 tests at 2 different uncore frequencies please Max?

I will when I get the OC finalized, also need to get my 780 RMA'd because it's producing distorted video now :(

No change from 3900 MHz

HLJAMES

also need to get my 780 RMA'd because it's producing distorted video now

Bugger. Sorry to hear that man. RMA's are always a pain in the rear end, but you'll just need to wait a little longer and it'll all be good.

Let us know how your new beast runs when you have it all set up

I'm fully aware that the result varies from chip to chip. But also in addition to the cpu cooler the case must also matter. Or do you mean that some chips don't OC well irrelevant from the temperature ? MY impression has always beenb that it's the temperature that ultimately matters in how high you can over clock .

No means am I an expert on OC. But from what I've learned, temps are a critical factor, but more important is the voltage required to hit a the target OC. Even if temps are under control, too high of voltage can significantly shorten a processor's life. Also a case with bad air flow will hinder a stable OC, but a good case won't help a CPU which has a weak OC.

I got 4.3ghz with about 1.375vcore and mem at 2000mhz. Mine is really bad oc Wise, even delidded but too scared to try more voltage. Think imma buy better mem since it seems worth it for haswell

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I got 4.3ghz with about 1.375vcore and mem at 2000mhz. Mine is really bad oc Wise, even delidded but too scared to try more voltage. Think imma buy better mem since it seems worth it for haswell

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Your VCore sounds way too high.  Have you adjusted the VRin/VCCin?  I found that bumping that up to 1.9V made a tremendous difference in stability when continually increasing VCore had no impact.  

Yes I have. I got rather low- to mid range mobo and memory, which might be part of the reason why my cpu wont OC too well, but i've tested that mine is on the lower end of the spectrum when it comes to overclockability...

4.4ghz might be stable without overclocking memory, but I wanted to get my memory to 2000mhz and decided to go with 4.3ghz.

But I don't know for sure, might be my mobo which has quite basic OC options or just the fact that I got unlucky with my haswell chip. Or both. Anyways as far as 24/7 clocks go, 4.3 or 4.5-4.6 is not a big difference so i don't care :smile:

So far I'm at 4.5 at 1.3v with CL10 2400mhz ram (Team Xtreem LV). Bit higher voltage wise than I was hoping, but based on some results I've seen, it could be much worse. Likely to delid sometime in the future, so I'm hoping I can get that up a little more once that happens.

EDIT: This is with a 4770k and an ASUS Z87A.

Hi

I have not time to run FSX build the FSX PC in september.

But a did test some good Haswell Cpu:s that one i did the FSMark11 scores was not bad , find a new one.

@4.9 1.31v HT on with H110 stress test no problem do 5 at 1.4v ht on. (with good Wathercooling ? )

Nice to see that Team LV works tip the CL10 LV2600 and LV2666 ar the best not the CL11

The only thing thats missing is memory developed specifically for the Z87. I'm hoping GSkill can help us out here.

HLJAMES

, have not de-lidded, lapped IHS, or used Liquid Pro yet because I wanted to make sure I got a good chip before I voided the warranty. 

Smart!

I will when I get the OC finalized, also need to get my 780 RMA'd because it's producing distorted video now :(

Hi Max

Sorry about the ram

Do you ron BP tweak?

I not sure that BP and mega resulutions with nvida boost works good together.

I run My titan for some time now with 3 X monitor setup can see some problem

With the BP tweak in some situations.

I not sure that the boost give the card the headroom it need for the BP tweak.

You guys that run 580 have less problem with BP then with the 600-700 cards.

I decided to do a test it worked out Very well , i smply disabeld the boost and run

A straight 3D freq on the GPU run straight 1080mhz on GPU and 1700 on the mems.

That give the card a slightly headroom it do +1200 on core 1750 on mems .

Power torget mod for 290w at 100% 350w at 150%

I run it with deafault v core 1.21v ( have hard voltmodd can raise it to 1.35v Max for the power rails )

i7-4770K

Maximus 6 Extreme

core: 4.9GHz @ 1.456V

cache: 4.6GHz @ 1.34V

mem: 2800MHz @ 1.65V

IO-D: 1.378V

Input: 1.92V

Cooling: old school waterblock

FSX core temp. 65* C max.

Cache speed not a preformance bottleneck.

Performance about 53 fps.

HLJAMES

Cache speed not a preformance bottleneck.

That's the same as the Uncore? 

That's the same as the Uncore? 

Cache/Uncore/Ring Bus....same.

FIVR takes you to 4.6GHz then quits...Thats when the fun starts. It's dead reconing with the voltages after that.

HLJAMES