Sign in to follow this  
r0drig0

Using FS9 AI traffic in FSX

Hello,

I just upgraded my system and installed FS9 and FSX. My FS9 has plenty of AI traffic. Then, I would like to install FS9 AI traffic to FSX, I guess would save a lot of time. Since I won´t have to download and install all over again.

I would like to know if all I need to do is to put FS9 AI aircraft files in the FSX aircraft directory and FS9 traffic.bgl files to FSX? Are FS9 .bgl traffic files compatible with FSX?

Thank you! 

Hi,

Yes and then convert all the traffic.bgls to FSX format. Plenty of utilities to do that!

Actually, the FS9 traffic.bgls are "compatible" with FSX, but if you install a FS9 traffic file, FSX will only read the ones in FS9 format, so you will lose all your FSX traffic (e.g boats, traffic that comes with some scenery addons, etc), so as Jim said converting the files first is advisable!

Could you please suggest a freeware program easy to use to convert to FSX format? 

Thank you

Be sure to turn your aircraft shadows off, though, or some AI aircraft will appear as floating navlights and strobes with no visible airplane model (the ghost AI phenomenon). Why shadows causes that to happen is a big mystery, but it is a small tradeoff.

Todd

If you do decide to use AIFP V2, here's what worked for me:

1. After installing AIFP, be sure to right-click the executable program AIFP2.exe and select "(run as administrator)".

2. Once running, select "Convert FS9 Traffic Files to FSX" from the Files menu.

3. You will be asked to select the FS9 traffic files you want to convert to FSX from a file tree menu. Navigate to where your FS9 traffic files are located.

4. At the bottom of the screen, be sure to check the box "Add _FSX suffix to FSX traffic files. Also, DO NOT check the "Delete FS9 files after conversion" since you still need these for FS9.

5. After pressing "Convert", you'll be asked to browse to your FSX traffic file destination folder. For me, this was "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Scenery\World\Scenery".

6. Hit "OK" and the files will be converted. The program will display a CONVERSION REPORT that you can print out if you wish.

That's it!  As always, proceed at your own risk. Good luck.

By the way, if you don't convert the FS9 traffic files before using them in FSX, NONE of your FSX AI traffic (including MS standard AI traffic) will be visible.