Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jont

BMP to DDS 1 (no alpha)

Hi

I'm new to FSX.

I have begun to convert all my ai aircraft bmp  't'   textures to DDS DXT1 (no alpha) - decreasing each of the resulting file sizes to 682MB. ( I don't touch the prop and 'l' textures).

IMHO the resulting textures are perfectly acceptable and I can't imagine that it will do any harm to the FPS -  do others do this?

Cheers

Jont

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi

I'm new to FSX.

I have begun to convert all my ai aircraft bmp  't'   textures to DDS DXT1 (no alpha) - decreasing each of the resulting file sizes to 682MB. ( I don't touch the prop and 'l' textures).

IMHO the resulting textures are perfectly acceptable and I can't imagine that it will do any harm to the FPS -  do others do this?

Cheers

Jont

You mean KB instead of MB ;-) for performance reason it could be helpful, have batch file which will do it in one batch ;-) If interested sent me a PM.

Hi Andre

Thanks for your reply - yes of course KB!!!

Thanks for your comment.

Cheers

Jont

Jont, I went through the agonizing process of doing just that long ago and haven't looked back. Performance is better (less stutters) and they look very good even close up. I do save mine with an alpha channel though since I heard this could cause stutters without them.

Todd

Jont, I went through the agonizing process of doing just that long ago and haven't looked back. Performance is better (less stutters) and they look very good even close up. I do save mine with an alpha channel though since I heard this could cause stutters without them.

Todd

Todd is correct should have added that one ;-)

Todd and Andre

Many thanks for your replies - so DDS DXT 1 with alpha - thanks for the heads up with this.

Cheers

Jont

so DDS DXT 1 with alpha

This will reduce the color palette by 25%.

The effect this has will depend on the individual texture.

If you want to use an Alpha, use DXT3.

regards,

Joe

Hi Joe

That's why I thought DDS DXT 1 - without alpha. I know FS9 was ok with this - would this be a problem in FSX?

Cheers

Jont

You only need an Alpha if you want/need reflective or transparent textures.

For AI, this is typically not an issue. Most AI have painted on windows and most AI models are non-reflective anyway.

Prop textures will need an Alpha. So will lightmaps.

The Alpha issue results when a texture with a pure white Alpha (which needs no Alpha anyway) is converted to DXT3 with ImageTool.

When I find such textures, pure white Alpha, I convert them to DXT1 w/o Alpha. Half the file size of DXT3.

regards,

Joe

Thanks Joe.

All this is very similar to FS9.

I will go with no alpha.

Thanks for your posts.

Cheers

Jont