Sign in to follow this  
FSXHD

VATSIM hacked by Anonymous?

This is not about AVSIM Luke. Please do not make it that

It's not an AVSIM issue, but it is one of the flight simulation hobby as a whole. VATSIM is one of the better examples

As for the VATSIM issue, I am sure that were you to throw some money their way, that they would be more than happy to address those "higher standards".

Don't be so sure. If you look through the VATSIM forums, you'll see numerous examples of people offering to donate money to offset costs. VATSIM has unfortunately been burned by the SATCO experience of over a decade ago and is pathologically afraid of accepting money so they remain stuck in a barter economy. For what it's worth, I've offered to provide services in the form of ServInfo and FSD servers as well as development services over the years. I don't recall ever receiving a reply.

To be blunt, this isn't as simple a proposition as people complaining without the means to contribute in a meaningful way. There are more than a few people in the VATSIM ecosystem who can contribute in a significant way. We're not all 16 year olds to whom $20 is a significant sum. The challenge in the VATSIM space is there are people who wish to make the ecosystem significantly better, who have the knowledge and capacity to do so and understand what a hash has been made of things.

From our own experience; you can dismiss today's cost all you wish, but I can tell you that if your "higher standards" are an HP Pavilion from your local Best Buy, then you are seriously off the mark.

My idea of higher standards is a web site doing a billion page views a month and 80 or so terabytes a day of bandwidth. I'm not sure what a Pavilion is. We stopped buying HP a long time ago.

No offense, but you shouldn't be so dismissive. I've paid the bills for a fair bit of deltava for a decade now, and we're a much smaller community than VATSIM. It's pretty rich for VATSIM to brag about how many thousands of members they have yet they cannot put together $40 a month for a decent backup? The two statements do not go together. You should also not be dismissive about the standards and capabilities of some of the folks in the community. They may surprise you as to what they are up to.

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.