Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FSXHD

VATSIM hacked by Anonymous?

I'm not quite sure what is going on or who is doing what with the VATSIM network and its forums, but something has definitely happened.  

Right now the forums look like this -  http://forums.vatsim.net/

C9Eqphrl.jpg

and a link sends you to a Twitter account claiming responsibility ...

KolZyIA.jpg

and other VATSIM users on Twitter have uploaded some strange screenshots ...

BPa5NWoCMAI-fI6.jpg

Anyone know what's going on?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Just made a post about this Sorry Moderators. The only point I am trying to understand who in their right mind hacks a community that is non profit and produces no harm.

Who ever did that is probably a mad blocked or suspended member. 

Ridiculous is all I have to say

Just insane, seems people really have nothing good to do. Hopefully there is a recent backup of their forums.

Ridiculous to put it lightly ... I can't even comprehend why VATSIM would be targeted by anyone as a network to compromise.  It's plain sick.  

It seems as if only the forums were taken out, the network seems to still be up and the main site.

So judging by the tweets he states that Vatsim's  network activity is leaked. What does that even mean?????? 

This is so abnormal that I cant get my head around what this dumb &@($* is going by to justify his actions. 

On a side note how protected are the Avsim forums since the last attack. This is my place to come on my work breaks. 

The only point I am trying to understand who in their right mind hacks a community that is non profit and produces no harm.

We get hack attempts on AVSIM about three or four times a week, if not more that go undetected. Someday, someone will succeed. We are pretty sure that the one that does will be one of your fellow flight sim community members. Ponder that for a moment or three.

Sound like someone who was banned

That's sad, how is the flying affected. I wonder if we can do something to help.

I wonder if we can do something to help.

We are standing by to help in anyway we can if the IT folks at VATSIM need it.

We are standing by to help in anyway we can if the IT folks at VATSIM need it.

That's good Tom.

Sound like someone who was banned

I'd put money on that myself.

Anonymous hacked several high profile sights like Sony, and some government ones. This seems like a wannabe hacker. 

Couldn't they find who it is by the Twitter account?

This is obnoxious, but all hackers are obnoxious anyway. They are among the lowest and slimiest forms of malignancy known to modern civilized society who use acquired knowledge as a negative, instead of using it for constructive advancement.

Probably some kid who got mad that he got banned. 

Anonymous hacked several high profile sights like Sony, and some government ones. This seems like a wannabe hacker.

Vats in doesn't really fit with the other two, must've been a flight simmer lol

Looks like the forums are redirecting back to the home page now.

Hi, we are experiencing some techincal problems. 

In the meanwhile you will be redirected to the main VATSIM webpage. click here.

I guess they are working on it quickly considering the minor errors in English.

Oh my ######ING GOD. I can't believe this. I mean, seriously. WHY VATSIM? Out of all the services in the world. Go hack NSA! Usually, Anonymous targets government organizations for a REASON. But hacking a non-profit for fun? ###### off.

Everyone, report that guy to Twitter, please.

This just reminded me of when "Anonymous" hacked the playstation servers or whatever it was (It had to do with Sony tho)

Sounds like a wannabe who got banned from the network and now he's feeling some kind of way.

Yeah, I doubt it's the same "Anonymous"....that's probably a pretty common name as hacker names go lol

Yeah I guess this wasn't the same Anonymous that attacked all those high level sites...

If it was then that's really pathetic, attacking relatively small innocent non profit organization like Vatsim. But yeah more likely hacked by someone who got banned from there. 

Shocking, really.

Can't understand the mentality of some of these guys.

When I tried to log in to Vatsim forum via Tapatalk I got the message; "We are Legion. We do not forgive. We do not forgive. Do not forget us.".

What a bunch of sorry ...

I was mentoring a tower student last night when all of this happened, however, online flying and voice/text communication were not affected.  I think Tom is right that its most likely some disgruntled former member.  Hopefully no damage to the forum data has taken place.  I am sure they will be back up shortly.

Probably just a wannabe hacker...He's fallen into the wrong kind of thing! The world isn't so forgiving for hackers anymore, you can't get away with it as easy as you could 10-15 years ago. Without a doubt he will be found out one way or another.

People like this make me sick, although it amuses me in another way, because - whatever he might have done to get himself banned in the first place proves that he can't take s### by hacking into a well respected network.

Remember that Anonymous isn't a coherent organisation by its very nature, anyone can use its name and this guy looks like they've done it to look cooler than they are.

BTW expect them to have your passwords for that site so change any you use on others.