Hello everybody,

Momentarily im running a I7-860 at 3,8 without HT on air. I want to upgrade the MB and CPU. I allmost made my choice but after reading the Hashwell OC thread i do not know it anymore.

To make it short: i understand that when it comes down about the OC of a hashwell, its about luck. All the hardware sites who's tested the Haswell I7 4770 did not manage to go beyond 4,3 / 4,4 but in the OC thread i read 4,8(!!).

The I7 2600K does "easily" 4,5 - 5.0 depending on the CPU. I dont want to guess, i must be "sure" to achieve a nice OC within the 4,5 - 5.0 range. As for FSX it needs raw CPU power, but i cant tell if the Haswell on a lower OC speed (4,3) outruns the Sandybridge (4,8) because it's new internal arcitecture.

Will somebody turn on the light for me please?

Greetings from a very hot summerday in Holland.

Boby

Hello, Yes the Haswell CPU may not be your best option. I definitely suggest the i5/i7 for FSX nad for gaming. To save money, go with he i5 2500K, it's an amazing CPU that is very easy to OC. When you overclock, especially to 4.5ghz+ make sure that you have a VERY good cooling system. Look online for the best coolers for overclocking. Next, make sure that your graphics card isn't bad compared to your CPU because it will be a "bottleneck" and prevent your CPU to preform at it's full potential. Give me your specs and ill help you out further ;).

Go Haswell and don't look back. You're right in that a lot of reviewers were having issues getting their 4770K's up to the 4.4+ range, but things have been figured out over the last month and it seems like more and more people are getting to that 4.5 point. Sure, you might get unlucky with a chip, I feel like I did, but I'm still running at 4.4/4.5, and that will hopefully go up a bit if/when I delid.

Go Haswell. Haswell@4,3 outperforms SB@5.0, and its much easier achiving 4,3 on Haswell than on 5.0 SB. Its never a good idea bying old tech even though SB is still a great CPU.

Ryzen 9 5900X || Gigabyte RTX 4090 Windforce 24G || G.Skill TridentZ 32GB@3600CL16 || Asus ROG Strix Gaming-E X570
XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB M.2 NVMe || Corsair iCUE H115i PRO XT || Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB || Phanteks Revolt Pro 1000W
Gigabyte 43'' FV43U 4k@144hz || X55 Rhino || G27 || Oculus Quest 2 || Turtle Beach Velocity One

There is alot more to a successful build than raw CPU speed.  At the same time FSX luvs to have it to keep all of its threads busy.  Remember too that in order for FSX to run at its max performance it needs to have an open pipeline into all peripherals.  IOW if anything is blocking (the GPU for example) the whole FSX experience will suffer.

Realizing this has taken me years to figure out.  This is another reason why I now use HyperThreading despite all of the naysayers.  Finally don't discount the idea of running FSX with an OS priority of RealTime (keep all other FSX apps at normal). I've never have been able to do this prior to my current IB build running at 4.8 ghz.

Regards

jja 

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

The highest overclock I achieved with the i5 was 4.6 but it was too hot. I'm sure if I had a better cooler and graphics card I could bring it up to 4.8. 5ghz is pretty hard, however I see a lot of people saying that the Haswell is the way to go, maybe it is since it's a newer CPU.

Finally don't discount the idea of running FSX with an OS priority of RealTime

I would never do that. Don't you get lockups there?

Change the priority of the OS?

I would think changing for FSX was better, or?

I would never do that. Don't you get lockups there?

Hi Dazz - I've been running RealTime mode for many months now with no problems.  As a matter of fact I have fewer problems when using it and have worked with several other users who are also having great results.  (We are using FSXassist to set it as well as setting priority for any addons which we generally set to Normal priority.)

As noted there are a few factors that now make this possible.  First is Windows 8 which does a much better job at managing system threads / work scheduling. Second is (IMO) the more efficient IB buss, and third is an overall improvement in the memory / graphics subsystem performance.

I should mention that some users with older builds have reported negative effects running FSX with a REALTIME OS priority so we are not talking about a silver bullet here.  

FSX seems to luv running with REALTIME priority if your build / OS will support it.  

Please visit the AVSIM SkyPilot forum if you want to experiment with FSXAssist.

Regards

Jim Allen

SkyPilot Software

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz

Hi Dazz - I've been running RealTime mode for many months now with no problems.  As a matter of fact I have fewer problems when using it and have worked with several other users who are also having great results.  (We are using FSXassist to set it as well as setting priority for any addons which we generally set to Normal priority.)

As noted there are a few factors that now make this possible.  First is Windows 8 which does a much better job at managing system threads / work scheduling. Second is (IMO) the more efficient IB buss, and third is an overall improvement in the memory / graphics subsystem performance.

I should mention that some users with older builds have reported negative effects running FSX with a REALTIME OS priority so we are not talking about a silver bullet here.  

FSX seems to luv running with REALTIME priority if your build / OS will support it.  

Please visit the AVSIM SkyPilot forum if you want to experiment with FSXAssist.

Regards

Jim Allen

SkyPilot Software

Thanks Jim. I'll give it a go for sure

Thanks Dazz - SkyPilot also offers a 30 day money back guarantee as we are well aware that FSXAssist is not for everyone.

Regards

Jim Allen 

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz

That is good to hear Lionel.  Do you have any issues with FSX smoothness, stuttering, micro stutters or blurries?  These are the issues that running FSX in REALTIME OS priority can help with if your system can support it.

Regards

Jim Allen 

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz

That is good to hear Lionel.  Do you have any issues with FSX smoothness, stuttering, micro stutters or blurries?  These are the issues that running FSX in REALTIME OS priority can help with if your system can support it.

Regards

Jim Allen

One thing's for sure, you can never make FSX happy. No matter how good your hardware is or how much you overclock, there will always be some sort of performance issues. I've made all necessary tweaks to FSX yet I'm still experiencing stutters. I didn't get much additional frames but they definitely got smoother and also had less stutters. I still have random freeze issues,they're very common in KJFK, CYVR, KLAX and KSEA. I've never experienced any issues at OMDB. Frames never seem to drop below 18fps

For the random blurries in FSX, I believe there is no cure for it and overclocking a CPU to the definitely won't help.

EGLL is a hard hit for me. With UK2000 Heathrow, ORBXEngland, AS2012 live weather,no AI traffic I get around 20 fps parked at a stand in a PMDG NGX cockpit. Frames would dive all the way to 10fps when in Vatsim. 10fps at 4.8Ghz is still way more playable and smooth than 10fps at stock CPU speeds.

To round things up, FSX might not run 100% stable for me but I'm still very happy with how I'm gone.

Any news on P3D V2?

Thanks for the support. Unfortunatly it does not make it easier :lol:. FSX and all thirdparty software is installed on a SSD. Windows 7 64 is installed on separate SSD. MB is a MSI P55-GD65

Together with 8 GB 1600 Corsair Vengance (2x4 GB) and a GTX 580. The I7-860 is cooled by a Prolimatech Megahalems rev B push pull with Artic Cooling MX2. All is build in a Coolermaster HAF X.

At front a 200mm intake, at top two 140 mm intake (forseeing the CPU of cool air) 1 outtake. At the back the regular 140 mm outtake and at the side 1 200mm outtake to get rid of the GTX 580 heat. Builded myself and the latest buy was the GTX 580 comming from a GTX275.

When i go for an upgrade i will get other memory (depends on how to oc and how high i can go), the CPU cooler will be replaced and i will probably go for the Noctua NH-D14 push pull. Lately a dutch hardware site has tested air vs all in one waterblocks. Air is still the best and i do not want to go full water (too much hastle). I'm also going to test the EK Tim Indigio Extreme.

But the main question remains...sandy or haswell. Right now im on 3,8 (HT off)  so i want to get a nice performance boost when i decide to upgrade.