Sign in to follow this  

Playsim VFR Scotland Central DVD problems?

I have the problem on Win 7, 64 bit.

I did persist with the slow install - 6 hrs in the end from disc 1, and then it never ended with a prompt for disc 2 ...

I can see loads of .bgls which seem to be in the right place, but think i will now start from scratch with robain's change to the Autoplay in Control Panel. I guess if it works it should overwrite whatever did succeed.

Lucky I saw all this from Mogget and co on the Scotflight forum, so thanks guys :wacko:

I am really curious to know how many people have been affected by this problem.....

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I am Mogget on the Scotflight forum :smile:

Ah, I did wonder.

Regards,

Mike :)

Edit: On the Avsim 'age scale' I note you are just one day older than me and more than twice as active!

I opened Windows Explorer , double clicked the exe file and away it went no problem except for a "No response" on one occasion.

Scenery is brilliant, just looking forward to Scotflight update.

Cheers, cannylad.

I am looking forward to the Scotflight update, and also TreeScapes Volume 7. I will not be flying anywhere in the region until these two are installed.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

After installing, I seem to have re-acquired a case of the blurries.  The odd part is the blurries (low res textures) seem to be specific to all the VFR scenery areas ... if I do a flight from MSE area (US), no blurries?

Ran a quick SSD speed test check and all is good for the drives.  I know blurries is a balancing act in FSX and a quick try with changes to FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION = 0.25, 0.33, 0.99 made no difference.  I'm now finally using my 6GB Titan and no issues around video memory usage.  Frame rates are fine 50-60 fps average with peaks upwards of a 100 fps with low of 25 fps.

As I understand it, Fibers are always on Core 0/1 ... Affinity = 1020. 

Oh well, as usual, one change to FSX and I have to re-work my FSX.cfg again ... ugh.

See #12 and #16 above.

Well robain's trick didn't work for me. Put the disc in and all I got was "Application not found".

No idea where to go from here. Tried unzipping just one area from Disc 2 with a view to extracting direct to the Playsims Scenery folder but that was clearly going to take more than an hour for just one of several areas so I abandoned that.

Bite the bullet, and copy the contents of each disk to a temporary folder on your hard disk, DeltaHotel. It took me nearly an hour each to copy Disk 1 and Disk 2, but the final three disks were much quicker. I know it's a pain in the butt, but the installation itself is pretty quick after that.

It seems that the Scotflight thread regarding this has been (possibly temporarily) unlocked...

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Thanks Chris I'll give it a go when I have more time.

When you've made the copy, do you still just Run the exec which doesn't look like a .exe?

Yep, just double click on the application, and off you go!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I still have not succeeded in installing this. My first attempt threw up several error code 13 messages. The install then had lots of default scenery areas. I then tried copying the DVD contents to a hard disk and installing from there, unfortunately I had the same result. I then checked the bgl sequence to see which were missing and tried extracting from the CAB files, this improved the coverage but was not totally successful. As I write I have just taken delivery of a new Samsung DVD drive, fingers crossed!

John

Hi Guys,

I've just come across a very informative post over at the Flightstore Forum by 'FlightstoreSimAdmin'.

Worth reading as it explains the likely causes of our difficulties with the installation process:

http://forum.flightstore.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=8

Wish I'd seen this at the outset.

Mike

On a side note......I have two versions of the Isle of Skye Broadford airfield on my PC at the moment (two entries in the Airport Menu). One will be the corrected default version that is included in Volume 7, and presumably the other one is a Scotflight version that was created for the default scenery. The latter causes a problem with the terrain elevation at this location. However, I am sure that Scotflight Photo 2.5 will correct this when it is released very soon.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I still have not succeeded in installing this. My first attempt threw up several error code 13 messages. The install then had lots of default scenery areas. I then tried copying the DVD contents to a hard disk and installing from there, unfortunately I had the same result. I then checked the bgl sequence to see which were missing and tried extracting from the CAB files, this improved the coverage but was not totally successful. As I write I have just taken delivery of a new Samsung DVD drive, fingers crossed!

John

Well the new DVD player seemed to be working except it had only installed half of disc 1 after 6 hours. At one one point I was told there were 612 hours to go. Fortunately I revisited this thread and found Rob's tip. I started again and now it's installing like rocket. So many, many thanks Rob for your tip and null points for Playsims and Flightstore for their lack of help. At the rate the install was previously going it would have been quicker for me to get in the car and drive from south west London to Skye.

John

Bite the bullet, and copy the contents of each disk to a temporary folder on your hard disk, DeltaHotel.

Thanks Chris,

Bullet well and truly bitten - easy and quick at last. Slight hiccup when my copying put all the discs in one folder as intended, which gave me a copy of DVD1, and a separate merged copy of the other 4 discs (all same name). After the 'Run' of DVD1 it of course asked for DVD2 to be inserted - answer was to put the merged copy into the copy of DVD1, and all was then well. Of course you know this, but it might help others.

Cruachan's reference in this forum to the FlightStore forum info is exactly what we all should have had in the package, methinks.

Happy now ...

Dave