Sign in to follow this  
demiboyx

Blurry textures with decent computer?

I have an i5 3570k and a GTX 660 with 8GB RAM and even with a fresh fsx.CFG, I'm still getting blurry textures, sometimes even airport buildings. My textures used to be crisp and clear until one point where I decided to refresh my windows 8 and install FSX again. Ever since then the textures have been blurry here and there :( .

Is there a solution to this?

Its all left to the application and yes I am, I think I've solved the problem now by changing texture_max_load to 120 and radius lod to 6.50000 but some textures are disappearing on aircraft now

Ugh you can never win with this game :/

That's because you've told the sim to use a max of 120x120 resolution textures, which doesn't work. You should use 1024 or higher for that line.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

My max texture is also 4096 and the wide display is set to true

The frame rates are good but the textures are being troublesome

https://earthsims.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/62261-how-to-activate-high-resolution-textures

That's what Texture_Max_Load is for, and that's why it's messing with your textures with a setting of 120. It's supposed to be 512, 1024, 2048 etc. This explains it well enough. I was going to link to Word Not Allowed's guide, but apparently that's not allowed here "You have entered a link to a website that the administrator does not allow links to"

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Which is too much, use max. 80, and the textures max. 1024, don´t know why people use these crazy HD/4096´s which only give you headaches with FSX, and get you on a "tweek-hunt"! 

Thanks Kami, would try that, everything was default before but I was getting blurry textures, now I'm not getting blurry textures but disappearing textures that never reappear, followed by a fatal crash error. Hopefully 80 and 1024 will fix that :)

Blurry textures in FSX indicate you have your settings set too high making it difficult for FSX to render so lower settings are required.  Instead of 4096 for Texture_Max_Load, try 2048 (it's still HD). 

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Reduce visability is how work it and have LOD 6.0, turn down water 2x mid.

No, turndown water to 2xLow, looks better, and perform better, I really don´t know why an experct like Word Not Allowed can advocate Water at High settings, but that´s a topic we could make a whole new thread on.!

No, turndown water to 2xLow, looks better, and perform better, I really don´t know why an experct like Word Not Allowed can advocate Water at High settings, but that´s a topic we could make a whole new thread on.!

Like my water pretty live in the land of 10,000 lakes 

Thanks guys, I'll change the Texture_Max_Load to 2048 and test it out with different water settings

Because for some reason, running no bufferpools causes flashes unless water is at high 2x.  On my system, fps is ridiculously better with bufferpools off, even with high 2x water.  With modern video cards, water is not a performance hit.