Sign in to follow this  
StarBlue

Intel 4000 HD

Hi All,

Ok before I get flammed, yes I know what I am doing is a little out there and realize this may never work all that great.

Recently I purchased a Mac mini (i7, Intel 4000 HD GPU, 4GB RAM) and have since installed a Windows 7 partition via bootcamp. Windows 7 is x64 and is running native, not virtualized inside of OS X. FSX runs fantastic but has the ocassional CTD, especially if I am using something like a PMDG product. I have all of the sliders right, autogen on etc etc and it keeps pretty close to the locked frame rates. Pretty amazing little computer.

I can almost guarantee a CTD if I speed up the sim rate, even at 4x! But will get them if I go into the main menu. All random and at random times. Right now this is fairly basic FSX install, only thing I have put on it is PMDG's MD-11, 747X, and NGX. However this issue seems to occur even with default aircraft. I was having a lot more CTD's until I upgraded the video drives through Windows Update.

I know the PMDG side pretty well. I am more curious about issues around the Intel 4000 HD video chipset and if anyone has had any luck fixing those issues.

I have read a lot of other posts and realize I might be pushing the memory limits and so I will try and lower the sliders some and report back.  Just curious if there are any other Apple Mac mini users out there that can releate. :)

Most have found FSX does not work well with integrated video and FSX really needs a dedicated video card to run properly.  I think you'll get a faster and more comprehensive response to your questions about the Apple Mac and running FSX with the integrated HD4000 video chip in the AVSIM Hardware Forum where this would be discussed.  I just did a Google search for HD4000 and FSX and the consensus is that it will work at low resolution but not in high resolution and your FSX settings cannot be set very high.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

StarBlue, send me a PM, I run FSX and all of those add ons on my Windows 7 but also on my Macbook Pro that has better specs than your computer... So I will teach you through PM how to get this going.

Thanks Jim.  I will post in that forum.  This was more of an experiment, this isn't my primary FSX machine.  That one has a nice nVidia GPU card in it and no issues.